PDA

View Full Version : Anybody on Here Collect Baseball Cards?

frikativ54
01-12-2008, 04:35 AM
I was just wondering how much crossover there was between people who collect sportscards and those who collect game-used items. Do any of you collect baseball cards, or do you limit it to just game-used memorabilia?

skyking26
01-12-2008, 06:16 AM
I started collecting cards when I was a kid (72 Topps). I have complete Topps sets from 74 to date and buy 2 sets a year, one for me and one for my 10 year old son since he was born. I used to buy the other co's but it got to be redundant.

harpt
01-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I have a Topps football set from 1973 (the year I was born) to 1991 (the year I graduated high school). I also have a bunch of single cards, mostly from the 70's and 80's. I really don't buy them anymore, but they still have great personal value to me. As much as I like them though, they could never compare to game used items for me.

3arod13
01-12-2008, 09:34 AM
I've been collecting sports cards since 1972. I picked up my first Game Used piece, a (1993 Juan Gonzalez Game Used Bat. Still collecting sports cards, I then picked up these Game Used pieces: 1993 Juan Gonzalez Game Used Cleats, Ball Cap, Fielding Glove, and 1992 Jersey. I found myself looking for Game Used memorabila more than cards due to the fact sports cards were getting way too many and expensive with all the inserts. I thought it was much nicer to have a piece of something a player used, than sports cards. I still collect both, but not as many cards as in the past.

WadeInBmore
01-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I had been collecting cards focusing on vintage rookies and cards of the Big Hurt...when I stumbled onto some Thomas game used items and now I find myself more into collecting game used items. I will say this much, it is a little easier displaying cards then actual game used items thats for sure!!!!!!!

David
01-12-2008, 02:43 PM
As a longtime collector of vintage baseball cards, all card collectors I know and know of also collector other memorabilia such as autographs, signs, posters, equipment, photos, etc. Though a minority I know deal much with game used.

suave1477
01-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I started off collecting Topps Baseball cards since I was a kid then I thought it was cool when Donruss came out and Upper Deck, It was still not too bad financially to collect Then Upper Deck released the first autograph inserts, I believe it was only 5 random Nolan Ryan autographs in an early 90's set and it sky rocketed from there with autographs #d inserts and then game used peices. When they came out with the Game Used inserts I only collected my favorite Darryl Strawberry and even leaned away from collecting all other baseball cards that were recent and started going after 50's and 60's Yankees Topps cards especially 1961 Yankees Topps. As I was collecting the Darryl Strawberry game used inserts, I said to myself why buy a tiny piece of Jersey for $5 when I can own a whole Jersey for a few hundred. "And a Game Used Collector was Born" lol lol:p

Vintagedeputy
01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I collect vintage baseball and football cards (older than 1980)

Rob L
01-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I collect T201 Mecca Cigarette cards from 1911 and I have just started on the "Monster" (T206).

Rob L

Vintagedeputy
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I collect T201 Mecca Cigarette cards from 1911 and I have just started on the "Monster" (T206).

Rob L

Rob,

good luck with the T-206's. That is a monster set,especially if you go for all the different backs.

Jim

OaklandAsFan
01-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Rob,

good luck with the T-206's. That is a monster set,especially if you go for all the different backs.

Jim

my mother and I both collect game used stuff and baseball cards. My preference in newer stuff but she is into pre war cards. She has an entire set of T206 (minus Wagner and Plank) and is starting on her next one now. She also collects other cards from that era. I myself have close to half a million cards from the 60's through now and buy a box or 2 a year of cards the interest me. Mostly I like to collect Bowmans and minor league cards to get them autographed during spring training and Arizona Fall League.

frikativ54
01-12-2008, 09:29 PM
To answer my own question: I have been collecting baseball cards for as long as I could remember. It was so frustrating when the really cool cards could not be had by a kid like me. I remember when the 1997 Donruss Signature cards came out, and it wasn't until 1999 that I could even dream of affording one - I bought a Bagwell Century Marks for my 14th birthday.

I got my first game-used item back when I was 13. For my 13th birthday as a belated present, my Dad took me to the Astrodome to see my idol, Jeff Bagwell. Unfortunately, two days before we were supposed to leave, I caught a glipse of an Astros vs. Marlins game via ESPN, and there was Jeff Bagwell getting injured and on the 15 day DL. We still went to Houston, and feeling sorry for me, my Dad bought me a Jeff Bagwell game-used slightly cracked bat, and we got Bagwell to sign it before a game.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/BagsBat2.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/BagsBat.jpg

I caught a ball that Bagwell tossed up into the stands in Arizona, back when I was 18. I think it was intended for the kid in front of me, but hey, I was greedy. I collected autographs when we went to baseball game and got people like Craig Biggio, but my Bagwell game used stuff was in our spare bedroom and in my closet, basically. It wasn't until I got back into collecting baseball cards that I decided to go after game-used memorabilia. I had spent $600 on game used 1/1 baseball cards, and then I wondered "Hey, why am I paying so much money for shreads of Bagwell's jersey?" For a bit more, I could have the whole thing!

That was when I started back with collecting game-used memorabilia. This is what I have bought since.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/HPenceBat.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/DSCN6944.jpg

And I am waiting for the following two things in the mail:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/BagwellGloves1.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/BagwellWristbands1.jpg

David
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
While adults, Tom Candiotti, Garry Gaetti and Dmitri Young were/are avid baseball collectors. While a player, Gaetti was seen with his album card shows looking for singles to finish his sets.

mdube16
01-13-2008, 06:59 PM
I collect it all...autographs, game used, cards...you name it. Its a tough habit. I constantly say Im going to start to focus my collecting and never do.

shirkr
01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Today is a semi-sad day in my household. I had 70,000 cards that I just sold to a local shop. I'll receive around a penny per card. Sad thing is they were all sets (still factory sealed) and star cards. Their are some steals inside that collection. Bad thing is I collected (like I'm sure most on here) during the time frame with high supply and no demand. He said a younger kid bought the collection as is. Hopefully he has the time to sell them on e-bay like I said I was going to do. Oh well I now have $$ to add to my game used collection.

bigtruck260
01-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I used to collect cards as a hobby...

I went to a local show in about 1998 in STL and I saw a dealer lowballing a kid trying to trade/sell his stuff. I mean, it was HORRIBLE. I understand having to make a profit...but this guy was stealing from the kid. Around the same time, I was in college trying to graduate the first time around. The professor was a card collector to the point that it was nerdy. PSA had really just come into its own grading cards...and all this guy would talk about in between lectures was his PSA GEM 10 1971 Topps near-complete set (with black borders prone to chipping). I immediately started selling my cards to local shops at bulk rates of $10/1000 cards. I saved the better ones, and still have a few. I put them on the BAY when I want something and need a little cash.

Every now and then I buy a higher end pack or box just to rip it open on a rainy day. I also decided that I would collect the Topps Allen and Ginter sets since Set 1 came out in 2006 - the year my son was born. I want him to enjoy collecting cards too - but not to take it too seriously. It's more to teach him how to take care of things. I don't care about inserts...I just want the base cards.

Started collecting game used bats in 2002 and I buy about 5 every year depending on the price. Much more to game used stuff...it costs more, so I feel like it is a more grown-up hobby with "investment potential". I can show my friends bats and they think it's cool as opposed to the "serial numbered, bat/jersey/spikes/hat autographed uncirculated refractor parallel" cards that Beckett seems to glorify these days.

Remember the '84 Mattingly? THAT was the peak of collecting for me.

Dave