PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ankiel on MLB.com website

Billyu40
01-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I was looking at this "game used" jersey getting ready to bid when I realized something was wrong. This jersey which claims to be game used could have never been game used. When ankiel came up with the Cardinals he wore 24 a number worn up until that time by Joe Pettini. Pettini agreed to give it up to Ankiel and he then took 49. I assumed that it could have been worn in spring training but that could not be the case because it does have the 32 Josh Hancock patch sewn on it as well. Since Hancock died mid season this patch was not on in spring training. Therefore impossible that Ankiel ever wore this in a game. I emailed MLB as to this oversight and Im curious to see what if anything there response will be. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

stlbats
01-13-2008, 07:10 PM
It says in the description that #49 was initially issued to Ankiel upon his callup, so I would guess they had this made up and then he wanted #24. So like you said, not actually game worn.

Thanks
Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

bigtruck260
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I thought the same thing Billy - I am sure when Jeff sees this entry, he will comment...

Dave

Birdbats
01-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I saw that and posted my thoughts on my blog (http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/index.htm) earlier today. I think Jason has it right -- it was a spring jersey, they added the patch in anticipation that Ankiel would be called up eventually, but when he was recalled he chose #24. I'd call it a spring training gamer, but obviously not a regular season gamer.