PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Kevin Greene Steelers Game Used Jersey on AM

hrvatwill
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Would be interested in Steeler jersey experts opinions on above item currently being auctioned on American Memorabilia:

http://americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=40597

I attempted to photomatch on Gettyimages but was unable. What I found interesting, however, is the unique seam on Greene's right sleeve as per the below photo which runs somewhat vertically through the Starter. From what I can tell, it is not evident on the jersey in the auction, so maybe that one is another from that year? How many did they have per year at that time?

http://cache2.gettyimages.com/xc/73573082.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193F4690BDD119B3A6D4D008A1477A87758

lund6771
01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
have you asked them if there are any holes in the sleeves?..

If I remember correctly, in a different post RKGibson stated that Kevin had rings placed in the sleeves and holes drilled into the shoulder pads, and then the two were tied together

RKGIBSON
01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Kevin did start putting eyelets in the sleeve cuffs mid season 1993, and continued till 1998. I spoke to Kevin today about the tuck in the sleeves. He said the '93 Steeler jersey did have a tuck in the sleeve and in the shoulder area also to tighten it. He said typically he would have every jersey from a certain year tailored the same. He did not change jerseys most of the year due to the tailoring. It looks to me that he wore the same jeresy most of the year but did wear one with a mesh body at least once early, it had the tuck in the sleeves.

From my research of Kevin's '93 season, all but one picture of the home jerseys have the tuck, which matches what Kevin said. It is on a '93 Upper Deck card #518. The picture is not in a game, just a pose with a empty field behind. It appears to me that most of the home games he is in the same jersey, even late when he tied the sleeves to the shoulder pads.

There are several pictures of white jerseys with no tuck.

Roger

RKGIBSON
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I spoke to Kevin this week and ask him to look at the stuff in AMI.

He says the '93 helmet is the only one that he does not have from his Steelers years. It has the correct double bladder, marked with green, and the correct pads. His forehead pad was the solid type through out his career. None of his Steeler helmets have his name inside, on dyno tape. He says it looks good.

The jersey size is right, 50 long. The Starter logo is on the right sleeve only, which is correct. No tuck in the sleeves as we said before. I covered that is a previous post. He could not remember when that started but thought all were the same. He also said that he had the sleeves shortened and shoulders modified to his specs. No way to tell without hands on comparison to the four jerseys that he has. His specs were the same all three years. He added eyelets in the sleeves early in '94. ??

Roger

hrvatwill
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
RKGIBSON, many thanks for your very informative and downright fascinating responses! I really enjoy your contributions to the forum.

Next time you talk to Kevin, would it be too much of an imposition to ask him if he is interested in selling any of his personal gamers?:) From what I have learned, that might be the only way for a Steeler jersey aficianado to gain 100% piece of mind that he is receiving an authentic product. As the song goes, "I would walk 500 miles and i would walk 500 more....."

RKGIBSON
02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I know Kevin is not interested in sell his stuff. If he was I would own it.:) I have traded work to him for some great Panther stuff. He has his 94 and 95 helmets. Two 94 jerseys including his throwback, which he love as he got 4 sacks in it. Two 95 jerseys. The helmets are awesome and are his most prized pieces. I like the white 94 jersey that has the front stitched up with a shoe lace, that was done during the last game he wore it in, IT'S HAMMERED. Many of the Steelers do not have any stuff. I want a Lloyd jersey bad. Kevin called him for me and he does not even have one, ask me to let him know when I ever found one.

His Super Bowl XXX jersey was stolen by a guy that was keeping his lawn when he lived in Anniston, AL. He knew who got it and sent the guy to jail. The jersey was taken to Birmingham and sold for drug money. I have been trying to find it for him for several years. Everyone keep your eyes open.

Roger