View Full Version : McGwire on eBay

cigarman44
01-14-2008, 03:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220192107074

Does this look legit? Maybe bp?

Thanks

bigtruck260
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Whats up - long time no see Cigarmann44.

It looks good to me. Tar pattern is right, bat rack (red) streaks, Mac 25...
Sports Investments has had some really nice Cardinals bats in the past. As a matter of fact, they sell quality items in general. BUT, before I would bid on a bat of this caliber - I would as our resident expert.

Going to the warmup?

Dave

cjmedina1
01-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Bigtruck&cigarman44

The red flag on this bat for me is the Pine tar on the bat knob.We all know MAC used the sticky stuff.From all the bats that I've seen in auctions and in my collection i just dont see that type of pattern on the knob.Now I could be wrong but just giving my opinion.Here is some pics of my bats.

Also in looking at the rack marks,seem to be odd to me.What makes this odd is the long red marks looks to be solid marks and not long streaky marks that I've seen on other bats.Again this is just my opinion.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Birdbats
01-15-2008, 09:53 AM
My first hunch was that the pine tar pattern looked wrong and the rack scrapes were unusual. Then I took a closer look. Here are photos of an unused 1998 McGwire bat I sold a while back:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/1998UnusedBatWhole.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/1998UnusedBatKnob.jpg

Here are photos of the bat on eBay:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/MaconeBay.jpg

Don't think I need to say any more... the photos speak for themselves.

5kRunner
01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Wow! :eek:

Anyone else get sick to their stomach when they see stuff like this?

This is why I love this site. Keep up the great work Jeff!

bigtruck260
01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
JEFF! WOW!

See - this is exactly why you are the man. Has anyone emailed the seller?
This is EXACTLY why I get so frustrated about collecting memorabilia. If Jeff had not been here, one of us might own a turd. High five...and thanks again.

Dave

skipcareyisfat
01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Nice call, Jeff! That's frightening stuff.

Birdbats
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Here's the GUF link from when I sold the bat back in January 2006:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1097&highlight=McGwire+1998

The buyer was from Maineville, Ohio. I have the e-mails we traded in negotiating the sale/purchase. I don't know if the current eBay seller is the same person or just someone who acquired it from my buyer, but I intend to find out.

Birdbats
01-15-2008, 11:38 AM
I just got off the phone with Adam at Sports Investments in Cincinnati -- they're the sellers of the bat on eBay. Adam was not the buyer of the bat I sold. In fact, the person he got it from is not the buyer of the bat I sold -- so it's gone through at least two owners between me and Adam.

Adam has agreed to end the auction. Kudos to him for doing the right thing. I hope he can recover his money on the bat.

3arod13
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
I just got off the phone with Adam at Sports Investments in Cincinnati -- they're the sellers of the bat on eBay. Adam was not the buyer of the bat I sold. In fact, the person he got it from is not the buyer of the bat I sold -- so it's gone through at least two owners between me and Adam.

Adam has agreed to end the auction. Kudos to him for doing the right thing. I hope he can recover his money on the bat.

Seller just ended the auction. Kudos!! I would love to see this bat traced from hand to hand and see the person held accountable who doctored this bat as game used.

bigtruck260
01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Sports Investments is in Cincinnatti, OH. They just ended the auction.

Dave

bigtruck260
01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Better late than never...I agree - SI has my ethics vote. I was pretty sure they were a good organization.

Dave

bscott
01-15-2008, 11:57 AM
ROCK ON!!!!!!

AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!!

This is better than an episode of CSI!

-bscott.

Tay1038
01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
WOW!! Thank you guys for the insight on this bat. I was actually going to place a high bid on it this morning until I saw that auction was ended early.

Great catch! You saved me a lot of money!

sportsinvestments
01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Just want to thank everyone for the help on the McGwire bat. We purchased the bat as game-used without knowledge of its previous history, which we now know. The forum is doing its job. As a very reputable seller, the last thing we want to do is sell something that is not what it is purported to be! Thanks again, Adam

kingjammy24
01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
maineville, ohio seems to be a real hotbed for bat doctoring.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5196

rudy.

ChrisCavalier
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Just want to thank everyone for the help on the McGwire bat. We purchased the bat as game-used without knowledge of its previous history, which we now know. The forum is doing its job. As a very reputable seller, the last thing we want to do is sell something that is not what it is purported to be! Thanks again, Adam
I would first like to echo Adam's comment about the value this forum, and its members, provide to the collecting community and a special thanks to Jeff for once again helping collectors with his expertise. Jeff, I can see why so many people speak so highly of you in the industry.

In addition, I also want to thank Adam for closing the auction. I know Adam and his father personally from when I used to live in Cincinnati and in my experience they are really good people who try to do the right thing. Obviously, their closing of the auction seems to validate that opinion.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

3arod13
01-15-2008, 03:41 PM

Adam, well done! You are a class act and I will buy from you anytime!

To the forum, enough can't be said for the work you all do to keep this hobby safe.

Kudos to you all!

Regards, Tony