PDA

View Full Version : show us only your #1 Game Used piece and explain why

3arod13
01-16-2008, 06:14 AM
1996 Alex Rodriguez "Rawlings" Big Stick Game Used HR #15 Bat

- Home Run Bat (15th of 1996, 20th of Career)
- Early Arod Bat and signature
- Rawlings Letter (bat records) stating only 12 ordered by arod in 1996
- Have newpaper article from Toronto from this game
- Information (specifics) backed up in the Baseball Almanac
- LOA's from Arod, SCD, and PSA

For myself, there are thousands of Arod Game Used Louisville Slugger bats out there. This being an early Rawlings Game Used Bat of Arod's, makes this a pretty special bat to own.

joelsabi
01-16-2008, 09:31 PM
1996 1st Grandslam Baseball

Early milestone item. Arod.com even show the clip of him hitting this ball. It is the first clip on his multimedia milestone page.

Bought it at National Sports Collectors Convention in Anaheim in 1996. Sold some of my Arod cards to pay cash for this piece. As soon as I saw the item, I knew it was special and wanted it.

COA with Player's signature (don't think I need anything other documentation if I had to sell for hardship reasons)

I have Newspaper article, autographed photo, and baseball ticket from this game. Also Alex Rodriguez has written two kids book where the storyline ends up with a grandslam so it will be a great item when I am old and reading this story to my grandchildren one day. hahaha

again, excuse my poor camera.

3arod13
01-17-2008, 04:45 AM

Early milestone item. Arod.com even show the clip of him hitting this ball. It is the first clip on his multimedia milestone page.

Bought it at National Sports Collectors Convention in Anaheim in 1996. Sold some of my Arod cards to pay cash for this piece. As soon as I saw the item, I knew it was special and wanted it.

COA with Player's signature (don't think I need anything other documentation if I had to sell for hardship reasons)

I have Newspaper article, autographed photo, and baseball ticket from this game. Also Alex Rodriguez has written two kids book where the storyline ends up with a grandslam so it will be a great item when I am old and reading this story to my grandchildren one day. hahaha

Joel,

Nice! I'll give you $25 for it (lol). Very nice!

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I like to hear from other members what they feel is their top item in their collection. If you dont want to share the documentation and photos thats very understandable. Many people are very guarded about their collections, especially since this is a public forum.

3arod13
01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I like to hear from other members what they feel is their top item in their collection. If you dont want to share the documentation and photos thats very understandable. Many people are very guarded about their collections, especially since this is a public forum.

Joel,

I beleive this thread has been made so many times in the past, that this time was the straw that broke the camels back.

No matter how many times threads like this are started over and over again, I still enjoy seeing what others have.

otismalibu
01-17-2008, 12:01 PM
The first game used Dr. J. item (I only have 2) I acquired. An example of the style he wore in the late 70s/early 80s. I think he was still wearing this style shoe for part of his MVP year (1981). Nice use and a pen auto (not shown) that doesn't detract from overall appearance, IMO.

I own a 2nd pair exactly like these, but they are dual signed in blue marker which I'm not a huge fan of.

But still, 1A & 1B

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/gameConverse.jpg

ifirocked
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Pedro Martinez's cap from his 3000th Strikeout Game. The Jersey and Ball are already in the HOF.

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
The first game used Dr. J. item (I only have 2) I acquired. An example of the style he wore in the late 70s/early 80s. I think he was still wearing this style shoe for part of his MVP year (1981). Nice use and a pen auto (not shown) that doesn't detract from overall appearance, IMO.

I own a 2nd pair exactly like these, but they are dual signed in blue marker which I'm not a huge fan of.

But still, 1A & 1B

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/gameConverse.jpg

I like you Dr. J room on your website. Do you collect Julius Erving just when he was in the NBA. Didnt see much from his days in the ABA or is that stuff just impossible to find. I am very curious. Dr. J would be my choice for collecting old school basketball.

3arod13
01-18-2008, 07:50 AM

Joel, if you ever decide to sell, let me know

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Joel, if you ever decide to sell, let me know

tony, when i sell this it will go with the whole collection. you have first crack at it.

3arod13
01-18-2008, 08:27 AM
tony, when i sell this it will go with the whole collection. you have first crack at it.

Meaning, your entire collection will be sold and the ball will be part of it?

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Lets get this back on topic. I met a really kewl dude with an amazing Erving Collection, Was nice interaction to see what is obtainable for his collection. I think this information is very helpful for people like myself who may try to go vintage in the new future.

Like to see other people's prize item or at least the item that is representative of your collection. Lets continue this thread. i hate for it to die out with not many sharing.

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Tony I will send you email regard my collection. Not trying to be rude to you. If so I apologize.

Rob L
01-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Arod 1995 Spring Training Jersey, autographed.

Reason it is my favorite:

1. Arod had only played in 17 major league games before he wore this jersey for Spring Training in 1995.
2. Autographed with inscription "1995".
3. LOAs from MEARS (A10), SCD Authentic, PSA/DNA, JSA, MGA, Majestic and Coast to Coast (signed by Arod).

Rob L

http://www.freewebs.com/loefflerrd/

WadeInBmore
01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
My #1 piece is probably my Frank Thomas Career HR #13 baseball. It was the 6th homerun that he hit in 1991 and had played in less then 100 mlb games...who would've thunk that this kid would go onto hit over 500 of these bombs!!!!!!!!!! The item came with two dated and stamped affidavits (one from the ball hawk who caught the ball and one from the usher from the section where the ball was hit to/caught in). HR balls are hard to come by...let alone one from so early in a career. I love the impact mark!!!

bigtruck260
01-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I have plenty of bats in my collection - star players and commons. THEN, there is the enigma. I was prepared to sell this one last month because, frankly I could not find any proof that Willie McGee ever used an M110 - and the knob is a mess of scribbles. There were no other McGees in the majors or minors at the time (1980-83). Maybe it was a sample bat made for a high draft pick in the Yankees farm system - a "one" off. It has McGee characteristics.

I have uncovered some new information via some early 1980's cards. I am not ready to say I have a match - too hard to tell. But I do have some leads. LS has no info on Willie using this model either (shucks!)

One of the fun parts of this hobby is the search. We search for the item, then search for the style match, photo match...etc. I was ready to throw this project away for a paltry sum to buy a legit McGee rookie-era C271. Now that I have incentive - it goes back into it's case on the wall for another spell. It's not my most valuable item, but it sums up why I started collecting in the first place.

BoneRubbedBat
01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
bigtruck,

I did some research and found three McGee's that played during the 80-83 era. Lawrence McGee played in the Gulf Coast league in 1982. Ron McGee played for San Jose of the California League and Spokane of the Pacific Coast League in 1980. The last of course is Willie, who started his minor league career in 1977 and played for a variety of teams until his major league debut in 1982. Hope this helps.

PudgePollyMillerFan
01-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Picked this beauty up straight from Comerica Park......ALCS MVP Jersey! Wish I could download the pics of the jersey...but can't figure out the $#@# picture and how to make it smaller for display. But here is the photomatch pic of it.

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Picked this beauty up straight from Comerica Park......ALCS MVP Jersey! Wish I could download the pics of the jersey...but can't figure out the $#@# picture and how to make it smaller for display. But here is the photomatch pic of it.

there is a paperclip on the top row. click that

also there is a 585.9 KB limit on the photo size so you might have to resize your photo

just google resize jpg and you will find free tools to do this.