PDA

View Full Version : NFL Auctions / 2 Questions, Opinions

jayt1234
01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I have won a few things on NFL auctions, nothing too big just a couple of jersey's and a facemask, however I won a New York Titans Eric Coleman game used helmet last night and I was wondering why they put such limited photos of the helmets up there? I know I bought it as is, and it will be fine, but if you notice on all of there Titans helmets the pictures are at weird angles that do not really show the helmet very well. I got it for $25 over what I was hoping to spend ($500 is usually my maximium for anything).

Second thing I was wondering what would you guys who collect NFL stuff value more, g/u helmets or jersey's? Because the NFL auctions all seem to end at the same time I had to choose between the helmet or one of the jersey's up for sale. I went for the helmet and was suprised I got it, but had I been outbid and time permitted I would have tried for one of the NYT Jersey's. I noticed that the Eagles throwback items have a much higher price for the Jersey's than the helmet's. I am looking to buy one of those if there are any left over in the next few weeks.

Thank You,

Jay

Jags Fan Dan
01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
The choice between a jersy or helmet is a tough one. On the one hand, I would say a photo matched helmet would be by far rarer than a jersey. But the jersey, in my opinion, is a better display piece. If the pricing were equal, I would definitely go for the helmet if it can be proven it was a real gamer.

jayt1234
01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
That is what I was thinking I would prefer a helmet over the jersey if given a choice. I neglected to mention that it was an "all things considered equal" question. Meaning not comparing a Tomlinson helmet to a back up lineman's game issued jersey.

I bought the helmet from NFL auctions so I felt confident that it was real, but was suprised it went for a little over $500 (I was expecting a bit more). Maybe it was the boring styling (blue shell, gold stripe), but I love the throwback stuff. One of the jersey's went for over $1000, one game issued for $240 and both helmets were in the $500's. The Tomlinson Jersey they have is over $4000 with a few days to go.

Jay

dcgreg25
01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I primarily collect jerseys but having a few choice helmets. For my 2 cents, I would rather have a helmet as good ones are much rarer than jerseys. IMHO As far as which display better, it all comes down to your wall space. Helmets are more compact and tend to be a nice compliment to a larger GU jersey collection.

RKGIBSON
01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
NFL helmets are a more prized item in my opinion. Most players use the same helmet all year and they just do not get out, throwbacks being the exception. I think in the long run you'll be glad you bought it. My collection is 10 jerseys for 1 helmet, only because real helmets are rarely seen. You made a nice purchase from the best source out there.

Roger

Blake
01-17-2008, 07:36 PM
NFL helmets are a more prized item in my opinion. Most players use the same helmet all year and they just do not get out, throwbacks being the exception. I think in the long run you'll be glad you bought it. My collection is 10 jerseys for 1 helmet, only because real helmets are rarely seen. You made a nice purchase from the best source out there.

Roger

I agree with Roger. Btw, I didn't here back from you in the Julius Jones lid.

Blake
01-17-2008, 07:37 PM
sorry "hear"...

Gerald

RKGIBSON
01-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Blake,

What is your email, or here is mine:
irestorecars@sbcglobal.net

Roger