PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Players Sports Hobbie

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
TNTboys became interested in John Burkett since I guess Burkett is a really good bowler and could relate to him.

This brings up a question for me. How many members here would collect a item from players sports hobbie. Does this interest you to add to your collection for the player you collect. For example a John Burkett bowling ball or for another person Ken Griffey's Golf bag or Marino's game used charity golf ball. Just curious. I have seen Ken Griffey golf cleats, golf gloves, golf hat on sale in the past.

3arod13
01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
TNTboys became interested in John Burkett since I guess Burkett is a really good bowler and could relate to him.

This brings up a question for me. How many members here would collect a item from players sports hobbie. Does this interest you to add to your collection for the player you collect. For example a John Burkett bowling ball or for another person Ken Griffey's Golf bag or Marino's game used charity golf ball. Just curious. I have seen Ken Griffey golf cleats, golf gloves, golf hat on sale in the past.

For me, if it's not related to the sport they play, not interested.

suave1477
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Well I think in a way its all related.

Because the item is still linked to your favorite player even though it is not a direct game used item from his Professional Sport.

I would collect odd ball things from Darryl Strawberry.

I bought the nameplate of Darryl Strawberry from the press conference from the 1986 reunion throwback game the Mets did last year.

Oddball item but it looked similar to the Lockerroom name plates from the 80's

otismalibu
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Madonna & Angelina Jolie are in a fierce battle to see who can acquire more of Shawn Kemp's children.

bigtruck260
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Madonna & Angelina Jolie are in a fierce battle to see who can acquire more of Shawn Kemp's children.

:D You just made my day with that visual.

bigtruck260
01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I know Ted Williams was a big hunter during his playing days - he also flew planes in WWII.

If I was a Williams collector, I think having Ted's rifle or hunting permit would appeal to me. A flight suit or medals - certainly.

People have been collecting Mantle peripherals for years.

I have a Red Schoendienst custom shotgun shell imprinted with his name, a cardinal and his HOF induction date. My Dad was on a hunting trip with him a few years ago...it's a really neat Cardinals related item.

Dave

godwulf
01-17-2008, 02:30 PM
I saw a very nice personalized Matt Williams golf bag on eBay a couple of years ago, and got it for less than $50. The Seller didn't live far, so I drove down to see him and pick up the bag.

Turns out that he goes around to the various thrift stores in the area and buys up the better quality golf clubs, refurbishes and sells them. He came across three different Matt Williams golf bags, no doubt given to him while he was playing in one tournament or other, in near-mint but game-used condition, at a local Goodwill. I ended up buying all three.

I wanted to add them to my Matty Williams tribute wall (two dozen game-used bats, three jerseys, two fielding gloves, and a ton of other stuff), but it took me awhile to figure out how to display them. Just a few months ago, I put up a big, sturdy but attractive shelf unit, fairly high up (fortunately the walls of my Bat Cave have high ceilings) and that's where they sit, looking very cool.

By the way, I hate golf. I can't speak for anyone but myself, obviously, but for me, the more I like and admire somebody, the more liberal my attitude toward what it is isn't really "collectible"...and the more I care about a player, the more I'm probably going to be willing to spend for some non-Baseball-related item.

bigtruck260
01-17-2008, 02:49 PM
I am a fan of Gas House Gang stuff - and I read in one of my books that Frankie Frisch was an avid reader. By luck I found a book from his personal library with his signature, hand printed address and name/address stamp.

I admire him as a player/manager and knowing that I have a book he once thumbed through is pretty neat for me. It is on my untouchable list.

Dave

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 03:04 PM
...and the more I care about a player, the more I'm probably going to be willing to spend for some non-Baseball-related item.

I bought a National Honor Society List or Program from when Alex Rodriguez was in High School. Thought it was pretty cool just for the fact that he decided not to attend college and shows he was bright kid back then. Since then he has taken classes at the University of Miami. I think its my favorite and only non-baseball related item. Having that Christmas Card that one member received would be would be kewl too.

suave1477
01-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Oh I almost forgot I have Darryl Strawberrys Yearbook from High School at Crenshaw High and had Darryl Autograph his School picture.

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 04:16 PM
High School seem to be a common item that collector search for. Anyone ever see a player's Varsity Letterman Jacket from high school for sale? I would think never.

godwulf
01-17-2008, 06:21 PM
High School seem to be a common item that collector search for. Anyone ever see a player's Varsity Letterman Jacket from high school for sale? I would think never.

Ha! You'd be wrong! :D

Several years ago, I bought R.J. Reynolds' 1976 Kennedy Cougars high school letter jacket. It was one of those middle-of-the-night, wonder what auctions are ending on eBay, impulse purchases, as I recall. It's very cool, with "Robert Reynolds" in embroidered script across the back, and it even has some little "Booster"-type pins attached to the front.

I may consider selling it someday, if a big Reynolds fan were to make an attractive offer...and for a dedicated packrat like me to even think about selling something...!!! :rolleyes:

I bought a game-used R.J. Reynolds batting helmet (Pittsburgh) from the same seller, and if I'm remembering correctly I think the Seller mentioned to me that he'd recently sold a Gold Glove award from Reynolds. I remember wondering at the time, what with his high school letter jacket and Gold Glove being up for grabs, what was going on in R.J.'s life at that time. I also bought (from a different Seller) a small, gold-toned, monogramed card case of R.J.'s, with some Japanese currency inside, along with a Japanese-American baseball tour program of some kind, that the Seller said was part of some stuff he'd bought through an unclaimed storage locker sale. :eek:

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Ha! You'd be wrong! :D

Several years ago, I bought R.J. Reynolds' 1976 Kennedy Cougars high school letter jacket. It was one of those middle-of-the-night, wonder what auctions are ending on eBay, impulse purchases, as I recall. It's very cool, with "Robert Reynolds" in embroidered script across the back, and it even has some little "Booster"-type pins attached to the front.

I may consider selling it someday, if a big Reynolds fan were to make an attractive offer...and for a dedicated packrat like me to even think about selling something...!!! :rolleyes:

I bought a game-used R.J. Reynolds batting helmet (Pittsburgh) from the same seller, and if I'm remembering correctly I think the Seller mentioned to me that he'd recently sold a Gold Glove award from Reynolds. I remember wondering at the time, what with his high school letter jacket and Gold Glove being up for grabs, what was going on in R.J.'s life at that time. I also bought (from a different Seller) a small, gold-toned, monogramed card case of R.J.'s, with some Japanese currency inside, along with a Japanese-American baseball tour program of some kind, that the Seller said was part of some stuff he'd bought through an unclaimed storage locker sale. :eek:

I stand corrected. I am assuming you do not go to these sales looking for game used items.

Unclaimed storage lockers and Local Goodwill? GO figure.

godwulf
01-18-2008, 01:51 PM
No, but maybe I/we should. You probably wouldn't come across anything game-used or sports memorabilia related 99.9% of the time, but...

I bought a couple of signed, game-used bats from an eBay seller a few years ago - he was local, so I went and picked them up. Turns out this guy goes to all the estate sales, and he picked these bats up for next to nothing at a sale in Sun City. Good for him that he hadn't paid much, 'cause, for whatever reason, I was the only bidder and I paid $24 each for them. I thought he was going to start crying when I mentioned that the Team Shop down at the ballpark was selling the same bats for more than 10 times that amount.

I also bought a very nice LS bat with a small gold-toned, engraved plaque on it - a presentation bat for the Manager of the 1995 Phoenix Firebirds. When I asked the Seller where'd he found it, he said that the ex-Manager was a neighbor and had had a yard sale! :D