PDA

View Full Version : Robin Yount glove on eBay...what do you guys think?

staindsox
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
I know nearly nothing about fielding gloves. What do you guys think about this one? Could it be legit? Thanks.

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBIN-YOUNT-GAME-USED-RAWLINGS-EARLY-80S-SS-GLOVE_W0QQitemZ110215552973QQihZ001QQcategoryZ5011 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AWA85
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I know nothing about gloves really, but $40.00 shipping is a little bit of a red flag just about the seller. Doesn't mean the glove is fake, but makes me question it a bit.

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
his response to authentication.

used to batboy for brewers in late 80's early 90's, so I really don't know what kind of an authentication you want as I have pics of me on field and pics of me with robin yount, so I don't think it gets any better than that! I will more than likely sell glove outright off of ebay as I have had alot of interest in both gloves I have up, or end early and keep as I really don't wanna sell, but have bills have to pay right now only reason why I'm putting up. thanks

1yountfan
01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
I am a big fan and collector of Yount game used items. I have 2 of his games used fielding gloves, one of them being a SS glove from early in his career. I have yet to really try and photo match this glove. I will say from just looking at quickly there are some points of note. Yount did use that padding where his index finger would hang out, and you can see this on multiple cards and photos of Yount. He did use Rawlings gloves. On his other gloves the number was written in black sharpie in about the same location. Not sure if this helps anyone, but I thought I'd add some info. I do plan on looking at some pictures this weekend to try and photo match it. The shipping costs does seem a bit high. The seller also has a Molitor glove for sale as well.

harpt
01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't understand why "pictures of me with Robin Yount" would serve as authentication when he is saying that the glove came from an old lady who knew Harvey Keunn.

5kRunner
01-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Not that it means anything, but this seller is the same seller from this thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=11436

1yountfan
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Good point Harpt!

Also, if I'm not mistaken.....I believe this glove has been on Ebay before.

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't understand why "pictures of me with Robin Yount" would serve as authentication when he is saying that the glove came from an old lady who knew Harvey Keunn.

I thought there was inconsistancy in the story too.

suave1477
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Here are some pictures I found of Yount on Gettyimages from the early 80's I would say the there is a definite Stylematch.

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 12:33 PM
If I was a Yount collector or Brewer collector I would give the person a phonecall and get the full story on how he acquired the glove. If he got it from a old lady and not as a handout while a batboy then that seems possible. Bases on the other collectors photos I would say the glove is legit. But older gloves dont have embroidered name on them which would be what i look for first. on older gloves, what do you look for? his number "19". How many other players covered the index finger hole with a patch. maybe thats unique to Yount. How many other players use the same model glove as Yount. I guess those are the question I have about older gloves.

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
being the batboy shows his access to people in the baseball business so knowing a old lady who knew the Commissioner Kuen seems feasible.

harpt
01-18-2008, 02:13 PM
being the batboy shows his access to people in the baseball business so knowing a old lady who knew the Commissioner Kuen seems feasible.

Just as a point of clarification: Kuenn was the Brewers manager.

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 03:06 PM
manager Harvey Kuehn was manager and Bowie Kuhn was commissioner.

my mistake. making a lot lately.

harpt
01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
That's an easy mistake to make. I make at least 5 mistakes worse than that every afternoon:rolleyes:

staindsox
01-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. Seems like there are some strong inconsistencies, especially with the guys story. Once again, I appreciate all the help!

Chris

SkubeBats
01-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I have friend that has bought some stuff from this guy before. I have looked over his stuff and have to say the items I have seen were very questionable if you ask me. Every time he sells something he has a different story how he got the items. I don't trust this guy at all. I have talked to him several time on the phone and I didn't feel like his stories are true. Yes he sent me pictures of him standing by Robin Yount but anyone can do the same.
Jamie

3arod13
01-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I have friend that has bought some stuff from this guy before. I have looked over his stuff and have to say the items I have seen were very questionable if you ask me. Every time he sells something he has a different story how he got the items. I don't trust this guy at all. I have talked to him several time on the phone and I didn't feel like his stories are true. Yes he sent me pictures of him standing by Robin Yount but anyone can do the same.
Jamie

I have 12 Harmon Killebrew Signed Game Used Bats for sale. Here's proof: I picture of me standing next to Harmon Killebrew (ha ha).

nate
01-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Just had a dispute with this seller over a winfield bat. That was pleasant. I'm not questioning his gloves but his story about being a former bat boy is a joke. Two of the diputes i've had this past month have been with Former Bat Boys. One was a former bat boy but clearly shill bid on the two items I bid on and this guy.

mattmueller
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Seller ended the auction early

nate
01-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Not that I like saying bad things about sellers on ebay. But this one takes the cake.

The other week I questioned the Winfield bat I won. He emailed back saying he knew it didn't match factory records and if I didn't want to proceed with the transaction it was fine by him. So I took him up on the offer. After that it went downhill and fast. Yesterday he sent an email that basically told me to go screw. I then received an unpaid item strike, which has since been removed by ebay. Tonight he started sending threats and ridiculous emails. Here is one of his three emails, which I censored, sent through ebay. I chose this one because the others would have taking a week to censor. He obviously didn't like the fact I questioned his item and decided to write about my Lajoie bat. Which makes no sense because I posted an answer from a different ebayer about the letter in the listing. The "Fleabayers" made me laugh. Here is the email:

Dear nleet,

NO COA WITH THIS YOU F***** STROKE,BUT YOUR DECEIVING EBAYERS OR FLEABAYERS LIKE YOURSELF BY PUTTING THE LETTER IN YOUR AUCTION WHEN THEYARE NOT GETTING IT. WHY DON'T YOU DISCLOSE IN THE AUCTION DETAILS THAT THEYARE NOT GETTING LETTER PERIOD TRYING TO GET SOMEONE WHO WILL NOT PICK UP ONTHAT!!!! TRY NOT TO GET ANY C** STAINS ON ANY OF YOUR FACTORY MATCHED
BATS!!!!!!!!

-manica71