PDA

View Full Version : Game used resubmissions

ldonley
01-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm new to collecting game used bats and wanted to know how common resubmissions are to the game used grading authorities? I know this is a common practice in coins, cards, etc, but is this a common occurence in game used bats?

I noticed a 1986 Ripken Jr. game used bat on a reputable website for sale as PSA/DNA GU 10, uncracked. This same bat was sold at American Memorabilia auction one year ago and described as having a minor handle crack and PSA/DNA GU 8.5. This was sold at auction for significantly less than the current asking price, and these are clearly the same bats.

Being new to the forum and game used collecting, I don't want to violate forum policies and post links if they are not allowed. I am not questioning the authenticity of the items (or the credibility of the authenticators), I'm just curious if this is a common practice and in member's experiences, do the 'resubmissions' tend to come back with varying grades and descriptions often?

MSpecht
01-18-2008, 12:25 AM
There are times when an authenticator will 're-grade' a bat that he had previously graded and come up with a different conclusion. The most common instances are

1) When the bat, if cracked, has been professionally repaired --- in this case the second re-graded LOA should disclose the fact of the repair.

2) When additional information about the provenance of the bat has been discovered, or when newly-found research of manufacturer's records, team records, etc has surfaced that adds to (or detracts from) the previous authentication of the bat.

The pool of game-used bat authenticators is small, and instances of "shopping authenticators," as happens with cards, is not common.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com