PDA

View Full Version : How to Identify a BP bat Versus Game Used

matt
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
It has taken me a while collecting GU bats to come to the (obvious in hindsight) conclusion that most bats sold as GU are used in BP and not a game. Since we all should share knowledge that would help differentiate between the 2, I thought it would be a good thread to ask 2 questions:

1. Please share your own thoughts on what makes you think a bat is BP versus game used. I am rapidly coming to beleive that some of the most beat-up specimens (and therefore expensive) are BP bats. What do you look for in general? If a bat has ball marks all over (not just in the LH or RH hitting area), do you think it is a BP bat? Do most players mark certain bats at BP or simply use a set of 3-4 both in BP and games?

2. What specific players have you learned well enough to state BP characteristics? Seems like if we shared info, it would help. We all know that Arod blonde bats (mostly G174's like the one in my office) are BP. I believe that Ortiz BP bats lack the volume of cleat marks seen on heavy-use gamers. Ortiz also uses a 34" bat for BP sometimes to force him to extend his swing. Gamers are all 34.5. Also, anything but a Rawlings Big Stick is likely a BP bat for Ortiz (though he used Nakona briefly in 2007 games). Tell us about the players you know well.

Matt

geoff
01-18-2008, 03:41 PM
From what I have learned on here and other places.Some players tape there bats different during Games than BP.I have a Alfonso Soriano BP Bat from when he was with the Nationals.He used Black Bats that are taped different than regular during Games.

bigtruck260
01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
For the types of bats I collect - it is just too hard to tell. I assume they are gamers based on the fact that most of them are from before collecting them was a hobby. Some of the guys from the Cardinals that I collect used tape on the barrels of their BP bats to make them last longer.

I agree that overused bats for some players might be a tipoff that it is a BP bat. But some guys just use them until they explode. More players are usiing Maple bats - which probably do not last as long...so not as much use as their ash counterparts.

A guy like Albert Pujols probably does not give his game bats away to anyone except close friends and family. Many are used for auctions (in the past, not so much anymore)...and most of the bats I see of his on eBay are beat up - not something that is a characteristic of Albert. That is why you need to research before you spend good money.

For me, personally, I just like having something. Some players are so hard to find that a BP or even issued bat will suffice until a true gamer is discovered.

My two bits.

Dave

godwulf
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Orlando Hudson was signing a couple of bats for me the other day - a natural Rawlings and a black Carolina Clubs (he uses the Big Stick when he bats lefty, and the CC when he bats righty) - and the CC bat had no uniform number on the knob. He told me that his game bats were numbered, and that his BP bats were not. Don't know whether this relates to other players and what they do...but, there you are.

Dewey2007
01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Just my two cents but I remember when I was selling my bat collection I was told that most likely the bats that had solid colored dots inked on the knobs might have been BP bats. See this example:

https://www.digitalfm.com/gameusedbats/itemDetail.cfm?sku=3372

All my bats were from the early 80's so not sure if this was only done around this era?

suave1477
01-18-2008, 09:49 PM
From what I have learned on here and other places.Some players tape there bats different during Games than BP.I have a Alfonso Soriano BP Bat from when he was with the Nationals.He used Black Bats that are taped different than regular during Games.

Very easy way to tell is that some players taped there bats barrels so they can use the bat longer for Batting practice. With that being said.....

Alfonso Soriano whether I don't know if he still does it but I have handled many of his Yankees BP bats and the barrels were always taped. If your Soriano bat is not taped geoff and doesn't show that it has been taped there is a possibility that might be a regular game used bat.

Cecil Feilder liked to tape his barrels
Strawberry liked to tape his barrels heavy
Tony Fernandez liked to tape his barrels

scottanservitz
01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I believe I have seen a couple Yaz bats with BP written on the knob to indicate batting practice bats. I'm sure others have indicated this with something written on the knobs to help them keep bp bats separate from their gamers.
Scott