PDA

View Full Version : Pete Incaviglia-even Your Loa Is Worthless!!!!

hblakewolf
02-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Forum readers-
Please note the following "game worn 1993 Pete Incaviglia Phillies BP" on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PETE-INCAVIGLIA-SIGNED-GAME-WORN-1993-PHILLIES-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8765560795QQcategoryZ27264QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have owned several 1993 Phillies pre-games/BP's, and none have the players names on back, as the 1993's did not incorporate NOB's. Likewise, the American Flag patch was put on the BP's until after 9/11.

Interesting that Pete even provides his own LOA attesting to the fact that it is from 1993, the year the Phillies lost to the Blue Jays in the World Series.

As I always say, do your homework and wipe your rear with LOA's, and in this case, Incaviglia's LOA.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Hello Howard, before you jump off at Pete. Is it possible they could have made a mistake in the description with listing that it is from 1993 and maybe its really from 2001,2002 or 2003. I am not defending them I am just curious if you thought about that?

trsent
02-15-2006, 09:37 AM
As I always say, do your homework and wipe your rear with LOA's, and in this case, Incaviglia's LOA.

Howard, are you stating that every item offered from the Incaviglia's collection has a worthless LOA?

Also, just wondering, when you had a Derek Jeter questioned you wrote:

"I don't remember the exact details about the glove i.e. year used, model, use, etc., Should you desire this information, however, possibly you can get in touch with Mastronet or Dave Bushing. Dave wrote a detailed LOA on the glove, and Mastronet auctioned it."

Did you mention your view of LOAs over the Jeter glove situation?

I don't have a problem with your item, but your stance on LOAs shows a double standard. You state that people should wipe their bum with LOAs, but when you have a LOA on your item you mention that the author of the LOA should be contacted.

I consider you a friend, but please stop with the double standard Howard.

suave1477
02-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Trsent Touche!!!!

ahuff
02-15-2006, 10:28 AM
I guess I don't understand how there is a double standard?!?!?!

I understand that Howard doesn't like LOA's, nor do I. However, the marketplace desires them. As we all know, what the marketplace wants, so shall they receive.

My personal stance is, if I am keeping something for my own collection, I really don't care if I have a LOA. I simply want to know that the person I directly obtained it from is not telling me a big story. (i.e. are they active and reputable participants of this board or do they have a +1 rating on ebay. There is a big difference to me!)

Perhaps that is all he is saying. I collect Steve Trout and Jeff Kunkel items. I've been lucky enough to get to have them look over items in my own collection. I'll tell you, they are worlds apart. Jeff knows his stuff, and can tell you if the item is or is not his. Steve on the other hand doesn't have a clue about the "game worn" side of baseball. He could care less about it because he seems to be the type of person that loves telling the stories rather than looking at a momento.

I've also read other stories where guys simply confuse their items. I think this might be a case of that.

I did a search of getty images, and found this photo. It does not appear that the manufacturer label on the sleeve matches the Incavaglia jersey on ebay.

suave1477
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Ahuff, I think the point that Trsent was making was how can you question someone else LOA, when you are vague about you own. As far as the picture you found I have to admit that is pretty interesting it looks like a Rawlings logo and the logo on the jersey on ebay is a Majestic? The only thing I can say is if you are selling a fake jersey why would you let yourself be taken a picture with it and sign an LOA to it? The only thing I can advise in this situtation is to contact the seller and ask them.. I am sure they would be willing to shed light on this item!!!

CollectGU
02-15-2006, 12:09 PM
"I guess I don't understand how there is a double standard?!?!?!

I understand that Howard doesn't like LOA's, nor do I. However, the marketplace desires them. As we all know, what the marketplace wants, so shall they receive. "

I think the double standard referred to is that Howard has repeatedly bashed LOA's as worthless and then used them to defend his postion in selling a Derek Jeter game Mizuno glove as game used. When I asked for any additional proof that Jeter used the glove in a game, I was told to ask MEARS or Mastronet as they signed off on it.

hblakewolf
02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Forum Readers-
As I have always said, do your homework and don't depend on a LOA to determine if an item is legit. There are "experts" in every area of game used equipment, i.e., bat experts, team experts, etc. Contact these folks before making your decision on an item, should you need insight or assistance, rather then buying an item with a LOA and doing NO RESEARCH.

As noted, the marketplace does desire LOA's, and as such, I have provided them with all of the Phillies jerseys that I purchased directly from the team. Should a collector base their decision to buy one of my Phillies jerseys on the fact that it has my LOA? By no means, rather, do your own homework-look at Getty, ask fellow dealers, etc.

Dave/CollectGU, the Jeter glove was sent to Mastro and Bushing wrote a LOA. Bushing conducted extensive research before writing the letter, and was comfortable with his decision in providing the LOA. I strongly suggest you do as I note, and contact "the expert", Dave Bushing. I have full confidence he will provide you with the needed information you seek on the authenticity of the Jeter glove, and the information used in his determination.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
02-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Great reply Howard.

What did Pete say when you questioned him on the telephone about his batting practice jersey not being legitimate?

hblakewolf
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Joel-
Great question!

I have contacted the Ebay Store that Pete is using to sell his prized collection 3 TIMES, and have yet to get a response. I specifically asked if it is possible to get in touch with Pete-no response. I then asked for a response from the Ebay Store via Pete. No response.

If you have Pete's phone number, email address or personally know him, please let me know-I'd love to learn more about this "1993 Phillies BP".

As always, thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
02-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I always figured Pete was pumping gas somewhere, but then I figured if I posted that and he read it he would come to Vegas and kick my ass.

CollectGU
02-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Howard,

Personally, I am not comfortable with the findings of Dave Bushing/MEARS when it comes to authenticating gloves, so I don't know if speaking to him would ease my mind. For example, the current Rod Carew glove in Vintage Authentics auction http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=66315757&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=66662467 that has been authenticated by him as Rod Carew's last game used glove looks to have been manufactured in the mid 90's aprox. 10 years after Carew retired.

What homeowrk did you do on the glove to make you feel comfortable selling it to the public as a game used jeter glove, or did you simply rely on the authenticators...

hblakewolf
02-16-2006, 03:49 PM
As a follow up to my original post that questioned this jersey as being from 1993-

On Thu Feb 16 15:28 , 'iSold It on eBay - North Dallas/Addison \(TX0166\)' <service.tx0166@i-soldit.com> sent:

Hi Howard,

Pete was just in and his wife was able to identify the jersey as a 2001 or 2002 Phillies Fantasy Camp jersey. So you were right on the timeline as well. It probably wouldn't have had much value at auction, and she wanted to keep it, so he picked it up.

Thanks - I hope you'll bid on some of our other auctions!

David

Cheryl & David Goldstein
Owners

http://mail.patmedia.net/mime.pl?file=email_logo6-2.gif

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
02-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Pete was just in and his wife was able to identify the jersey as a 2001 or 2002 Phillies Fantasy Camp jersey. So you were right on the timeline as well. It probably wouldn't have had much value at auction, and she wanted to keep it, so he picked it up.

Cool, you got to the bottom of this one and saved someone $75.00 for a jersey that should have only sold for $50.00.

Auctually, nice work, it is neat to find errors that may have really been honest errors.

suave1477
02-16-2006, 04:04 PM
See So I Was Right Dam Im Good!!!!!!