PDA

View Full Version : Honesty the Best Policy?

aeneas01
01-23-2008, 11:04 PM
apparently honesty can and does pay off - here are a couple of great looking display helmets that fetched solid prices without any of the "game issue" nonsense and none of the hidden bidder nonsense. even tho there were some errors in the item descriptions, the seller described the helmets for what they were - vsr4 proline helmets with matching accessories consistent with what the players wear. very refreshing.

brady game helmet $1,000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120211130846&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

tomlinson game helmet $535
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120211036635&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

along the same lines radtke has continued his new practice of describing his helmets as "game style" instead of "game issue" in a clear effort to describe his helmets accurately. on the other hand gridiron authentics is still playing words games to intentionally imply that their helmets are something they're not, in my opinion that is. for example, here's a "brady team signed game helmet" ga is pushing with a buy it now price of $3,500 ...

"...featured is the most extaordinary piece of Patriots memorabilia ever to be offered on the Patriots Super Bowl XXXIX 'Dynasty' team - a full-size and genuine Tom Brady New England Patriots 2004 Authentic Game Issue Helmet... Helmet is extremely rare (do not confuse it with generic Pro-Line helmets!) and is excactly as is issued to Tom to wear on field - customized and tailored for his use in 2004 NFL games. Such unique features include (me: ga goes on to list a bunch of items) ONLY found on true game issue helmets."

http://cgi.ebay.com/PATRIOTS-2004-TEAM-SIGNED-TOM-BRADY-GAME-HELMET-GA_W0QQitemZ220193625676QQihZ012QQcategoryZ27276QQ cmdZViewItem

Jags Fan Dan
01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
The auction listings were great. My only concern now is what the buyers intentions are for those helmets.

mvandor
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
If someone paid $1,000 for a Brady knockoff, please explain to me why they're not fools, aeneas, or what makes that copy SO much more valuable than a Real Stuff copy for $260?

And sadly, while I am a HUGE GA customer, I must agree that Joe continues to mislead to increase yield on his helmet copies.

nyjetsfan14
01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
The amount of profit made on the yankees4 helmets (most specifically the Brady) is absolutely insane. That helmet probably cost about 100 bucks to make and it goes for a cool grand. I am certainly in the wrong business but that is the story of my life. However, like you mentioned, the seller did did a very nice job of not misleading the bidders with an accurate and honest desription.

mvandor
01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Feedback score of 6 and an 80% with several no pays for the winner of the Brady helmet. Bet he'll never collect that money.

The LT is very much like mine, so I'd like to believe the $550 range is about right, especially since I've sunk more than that into mine given the scam I got taken by, the cost of having LT sign it, and the display case. :rolleyes:

aeneas01
01-24-2008, 06:59 PM
...My only concern now is what the buyers intentions are for those helmets.
no doubt - the same thought crossed my mind. but as i was attempting to focus on a positive, the seller's fair desciption. i didn't want to mention it...

If someone paid $1,000 for a Brady knockoff, please explain to me why they're not fools, aeneas, or what makes that copy SO much more valuable than a Real Stuff copy for $260?
again, i was attempting to focus on a positive, the seller's fair description and the fact that the buyer was not intentionally misled imho. but, of course, you're right - dropping $1k on a knockoff when $300 or less will get you the same item doesn't exactly qualify as smart buying. even if the buyer's intention was to flip it as an authentic game issued brady lid.

And sadly, while I am a HUGE GA customer, I must agree that Joe continues to mislead to increase yield on his helmet copies.

yeah, it's pretty ugly, pretty dishonest imo. you gotta love this...

"...most extaordinary piece of Patriots memorabilia ever to be offered... a full-size and genuine Tom Brady New England Patriots 2004 Authentic Game Issue Helmet... Helmet is extremely rare (do not confuse it with generic Pro-Line helmets!)... Such unique features include (me: ga goes on to list a bunch of items) ONLY found on true game issue helmets."

the bottom line is that the helmet is exactly what he says it's not - a generic pro-line helmet. except that it has been dressed up to resemble brady's lid with accessories that are readily available to anyone. it's really hard not to call this guy a crook imho.

The amount of profit made on the yankees4 helmets (most specifically the Brady) is absolutely insane. That helmet probably cost about 100 bucks to make and it goes for a cool grand. I am certainly in the wrong business but that is the story of my life. However, like you mentioned, the seller did did a very nice job of not misleading the bidders with an accurate and honest desription.
yeah, you can really bring home the bacon on some of these lids, even when you play the game honestly.

The LT is very much like mine, so I'd like to believe the $550 range is about right, especially since I've sunk more than that into mine given the scam I got taken by, the cost of having LT sign it, and the display case.
don't think you didn't come immediately to mind when i saw the lt lid - so i was very happy to see it fetch such a good price without any nonsense. and such helmets will only continue rise in value imo...