PDA

View Full Version : Tell us your collecting horror story what you collected, but was thrown out or given away after you left home

3arod13
01-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Tell us your collecting horror story what you collected, but was thrown out or given away after you left home

Myself, I don't have one. But I know there are a lot of horror stories out there.

bigtruck260
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Not really a game-used...but "concert" used:

I am a drummer by hobby and I attended an Iron Maiden concert in the late 80's...and Nicko McBrain (Maiden's drummer) tossed out a few heads from previous nights into the crowd. I caught the bass dum head, and it was signed. It was my prized possesion for a long time.

When I moved out, I left my drum kit at my parent's house and my Mom cleaned my room pretty regularly. She decided one day to toss all of the beaten up drum heads that were laying on the floor and surrounding areas - INCLUDING my McBrain head.

After I got married, I came back to pick up my remaining stuff and FREAKED when I could not find it. My Mom tossing my junk wax from the 80's was one thing - but I had words with her about the drum head.

Now, it's no big deal. I am beyond the "metal phase", and I probably would have sold it on eBay for $50. Not worth being upset at Mommy.

Dave

34swtns
01-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Not really a "thrown out" story but.......

My mom had told me a few years back that she collected baseball cards when she was a kid in the 1950's. Other than the interesting fact that my mom was a tomboy I never thought much about it. When her dad (my grandfather) passed away, we had to clean out a huge tin shed that was completely full of junk that had been basically exposed to the elements for 40+ years. Lo and behold, among all the crap was a shoe box full of rubber-banded baseball cards. But unfortunately they were all ragged edged, flimsy, and about the consistency of Charmin tissue. What a shame.

3arod13
01-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Not really a "thrown out" story but.......

My mom had told me a few years back that she collected baseball cards when she was a kid in the 1950's. Other than the interesting fact that my mom was a tomboy I never thought much about it. When her dad (my grandfather) passed away, we had to clean out a huge tin shed that was completely full of junk that had been basically exposed to the elements for 40+ years. Lo and behold, among all the crap was a shoe box full of rubber-banded baseball cards. But unfortunately they were all ragged edged, flimsy, and about the consistency of Charmin tissue. What a shame.

50's huh? Was there anything good in in those cards? Maybe a Mantle?

I hear many stories like this. I always think to myself, "just imagine...what if...)

Thanks for sharing

otismalibu
01-25-2008, 09:21 AM
As kid, I had my room plastered with hoops posters. Nike, Converse, and one Wilson poster featuring some young guy called Jordan. I tossed them all when I moved to the States.

I had this one and a number of other Nike 24x36 posters that often fetch over $50 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/George-Gervin-Iceman-Nike-Poster-Vintage_W0QQitemZ290198737614QQihZ019QQcategoryZ73 427QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dewey2007
01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I had a very nice rookie year game used Ripken bat and gave it away to a buddy of mine sometime after high school. He was a huge Ripken fan and always bugged me for it. I had gotten out of collecting at that point and just gave it to him. Damn I wish had that bat back! Oh well......

3arod13
01-25-2008, 10:39 AM
I had a very nice rookie year game used Ripken bat and gave it away to a buddy of mine sometime after high school. He was a huge Ripken fan and always bugged me for it. I had gotten out of collecting at that point and just gave it to him. Damn I wish had that bat back! Oh well......

OUCH! Now that hurts!!!