PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about these?

Tedw9
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I was searching Patriots items and found this. Is this a legit item from the sidelines? I know coaches use cards similar to this to cover their mouths when calling plays in, but is anyone familiar with this type of card?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Used-New-England-Patriots-v-NY-Giants-Flip-Cards_W0QQitemZ200192380610QQihZ010QQcategoryZ5011 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

STLFan2003
01-24-2008, 09:28 PM
it looks like that just has rosters on it. I always thought that coaches used the cards with various formations and plays on it.

scottanservitz
01-24-2008, 10:29 PM
The cards the coaches use on the sidelines are playcards with formations and game situations. Plays that were put together for the "gameplan" are listed with certain plays highlighted for the right situation. You can see the different colors highlighted during the games. Even special plays are put in for specific players to run. Down and distance is also charted. These are used from high school ball all the way up to the pros. I coached high school football for 10 years and we even had these cards made up for each game. This is the brainwork of all the hardworking coaches out there. Now coaches also use depth charts with players listed on them so when a player gets banged up the position coach knows instantly who the next player in line is to go into the game. Game action goes so fast that these are essential in keeping up. This may be a player chart card, but I can't see the depth chart on it. Hope this helps.
Scott

Tedw9
01-25-2008, 07:52 PM
That does answer my question, thank you. I do believe it is a player depth chart card as you described. I had bid on one and lost, but received a second chance offer. The card was sent overnight and after looking at it I do believe you are correct. It's a cool item that was reasonably priced so I took the chance on it. If anyone wants to see pics, I can post some. Thank you for the information. :)

scottanservitz
01-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Ted,
Congrats on getting it. A unique item to add to your collection.
Scott