• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Autographs on a Game Used Jersey?

Hello Members,

I was curious what peoples thoughts are on getting game used jerseys autographed?

Does autographing a game used jersey bring it up in value?
    Also does having them put an inscription on it make it more valuable/
    ( I have noticed most autographed jerseys just have the players name and maybe the number )

Would you guys reccomend to do it or not?

I have felt the best place to do it is towards the bottom of the jersey any other advice?
  • PK
    • Feb 2006

Re: Autographs on a Game Used Jersey?

Autographs on jerseys depends on what you like. I think you have to ask yourself a few questions like, are you going to keep the jersey forever or resell the jersey down the road? Remember, not all people like autographs. Some think it decreases the value and would never buy one that has an autograph. Some do not mind autographs on the inside of a jersey where it cannot be seen, others like to display with an autograph on the outside. It's personal preference

Me? I ask myself only one question....was the jersey autographed when they wore it in the game?

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PK
      Me? I ask myself only one question....was the jersey autographed when they wore it in the game?
      PK i like everything you said especially this line!!!

I agree and makes good sense, just like the line saying - if it aint broke dont fix it!!!

Comment

• flaco1801
        • Nov 2005

just make sure you have a loa for the autograph as well as a loa for the jersey, then youll be in the MONEY, assuming the loa isnt from (fill in the blank)

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

Hello Flaco, no the jersey is real and the autograph will be too. I have the jersey and will have the opportunity coming up soon to meet with the player. I am just contem;plating if I should have it autographed or leave it alone as is?

Comment

• gameusedfan
            • Jan 2006

Personally, I don't really care too much for the autographed jersey. One case where I do actually like the autograph is when the player has written "game used on xx/xx/xx" ASSUMING there is a legit accompanying LOA. It is kind of like a mini-provenance.

Roger

Comment

• BaseballGM
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Ok, I'll be the first to dissent. I'm not such a purist to think that an autograph takes away anything from a gamer. IMO, I think it enhances the piece and makes for a better display. Just my opinion. I've read others opinions as to where, ie. on the lower front by the tag or on the back, ie. the number. I prefer the sig on a number and on the back.
              No, it wasn't signed when he used it, but then again... he ain't using it anymore.

Comment

• suave1477
                Banned
                • Jan 2006

Everyone has great ideas I guess it just falls back on me if it is something I want. I do appreciate all your opinions

Comment

• BULBUS
                  • Nov 2005

For the most part, I like my game used jerseys autographed. If I do have a jersey signed, it is on the number on the back. Lessens the chance of bleeding. Silver on a dark number is the best. I recently had 2 jerseys autographed, and they look great.
                  Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                  sigpic
                  donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

BULBUS I do agree silver does look best on a dark number. BULBUS but that is actually the worst to use for an autograph on a jersey, bcuz it fades over time. It doesn't last long on mateirial.

Comment

• Good Eye Sports
                      • Dec 2005

In the Japanese market, having any game-used item signed by the respective player is a HUGE plus. The collectors think somehow the autograph "endorses" the authenticity of the item, which may or may not be the case depending on the player.

I, myself, for resale purposes always prefer a signed gamer, with no preference on where as long as the autograph doesn't draw too much attention away from the jersey itself.

For display purposes for myself, if the jersey has name+number on the back, definately a thin silver paintpen on the number. If there is no name on the back, but a number on the front and back, I would prefer to get the front signed near the bottom.

Goh

Comment

• suave1477
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2006

Goodeyesports as I mentioned to bulbus I am not a big fan of the silver marker on a jersey bcuz over time the autograph will fade and there goes your money out the window.

Comment

• BULBUS
                          • Nov 2005

I dont know Suave, I have a Mattingly (non g/u) jersey that I had him sign the blue number in siver. Its been about 5 1/2 years and there is no evidence of fading. You just never know when an autograph is going to fade or bleed. That being said, I think it is wise NOT to have an expensive piece autographed.
                          Chris

sigpic
                          donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• otismalibu
                            • Nov 2005

I don't have any gamers, but I did have a team issued jersey signed by Iverson quite a few years ago. What a horrible looking auto! If I'd have known what his signature looked like, I would have not had the jersey signed. Had a potential buyer ask if I thought the auto would wash out

I'm not really big on autos that most people can't read.

Greg
                            Greg
                            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• BULBUS
                              • Nov 2005

Thats another consideration when getting an autograph. If the players signature is scribble, then I wont even waste my money or time.
                              Chris

sigpic
                              donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

Working...