PDA

View Full Version : The Lampson List

kylehess10
01-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Spent a good few hours piecing this together....I made a page with all of the MLB items in auction houses that were obvious fakes and/or questionable items from Lampson. If I missed any other posts that involve MLB items from Lampson, PLMK so I can add the link to the list.

http://gameused.webs.com/stayawayfromlampson.htm

PudgePollyMillerFan
01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for taking time to make up the list.......in my opinion.....EVERY sports item with a Lampson LOA should be on that list!

suave1477
01-25-2008, 09:36 AM
[quote=PudgePollyMillerFan;69352]Thanks for taking time to make up the list.......in my opinion.....EVERY sports item with a Lampson LOA should be on that list![/quote

Ill agree with pudge!!!

Kyle great job!!!

allstarsplus
01-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Kyle - Great listing. If you go through archives of when Eric first started the Forum on Network54, there are some great posts.

Here is one of my favorites (which I started on Lampson Ripken jerseys) back in March 2005.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/thread/1110717857/Cal+Ripken+on+American+Memorabilia

Andrew

bigtruck260
01-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Kyle -

I know that what you are doing is in the best interests of the forum/collecting community...but be careful. It would stink if the auction houses/Lampson came down on you with litigation. You may want to put a disclaimer or something. You are a good kid, and college is on the horizon - just be careful.

Your friend in STL

Dave

suave1477
01-25-2008, 11:36 AM
BigTruck you dont know Lampson that well, he will never come out of hiding, he has been sought after for years with questions and comments and other reasons for contact and he will not make his contact information available anywhere.

I am Kyle in turn is doing nothing wrong he is just pointing out problems with Jerseys that are not consistant to other jerseys of the same year or style. Which later was authenticated by Lampson.

No one knows how to get in touch with him except for a magical wizard that the auction houses hire to summon up "ole ye great Lampson"
:D :D :D

bigtruck260
01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
That's cool Suave - I figured someone would set me straight about him...
I just finished reading the thread about ESA...and apparently there are some other shady folks out there.

Dave

Eric
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Kyle-

I'm not sure it's fair to say a Mariano Rivera jersey is fake because it doesn't come with Steiner paperwork...

karamaxjoe
01-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Kyle,
It sure makes for some interesting reading.

My opinion - I think you might want to replace the word "fakes" with something a little less direct. Maybe "questionable" or "alleged" would be safer words to use on a website with your name on it. I'm no lawyer, but you may be taking a pretty strong stand on this.

We all know Lampson holds no credibility here and won't defend his side in a public forum. I'm just saying to be carefull.

Mike

both-teams-played-hard
01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Kyle,

My opinion - I think you might want to replace the word "fakes" with something a little less direct. Maybe "questionable" or "alleged" would be safer words to use on a website with your name on it. I'm no lawyer, but you may be taking a pretty strong stand on this.

I agree. However, my collection needs a "cease and desist" letter from Lampson's attorneys. Framed. Beware of the Law offices of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. Those guys ring bells!

ryan4fregosi
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Sure...but what if it arrives with a Lampson LOA?

commando
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm sure Lou is a nice and honest guy, but it seems that the times have left him behind...

1) Forums like this have brought niche experts out of the woodwork... That fact alone is very significant for our hobby. If a Steelers jersey is in question, who would you rather have take a look at it? Someone with years of general hobby knowledge, or someone who has specifically bought and sold high-end Steelers jerseys for 20 years? Hell, I'll bet a Steelers collector like that would be able to tell you if some jerseys ever came within 500 miles of Pennsylvania!

2) I'm guessing that Getty Images has many more than 8,000 sports-related photos available -- not to mention the countless other internet photo resources that are out there. You no longer need to have a personal library of printed books and references to find photo matches (though they would still be helpful for the really niche stuff).

3) Accountability is here to stay because of what I've already mentioned above. You can't just say an item is the real thing because it was supposedly given to a batboy years ago. Supposed provenance means very little if the item speaks for itself. Maybe Ozzie Smith really did use this retail bat in a game, but your story had better be more convincing than the batboy thing.

MSpecht
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Kyle--- As pointed out above in post #9, there is a big difference between either 1) implying that an authenticator/seller/auction house has come to a a faulty conclusion on an item or 2) implying that an intentional act of deception is being committed. Here is a suggestion on wording when questioning an item that gets the information you are looking for without causing unintended implications

"This (jersey/bat/glove/whatever) contains the following characteristics that are not consistent with
(jerseys/bats/gloves/whatever) manufactured by (manufacturer) for professional use during the referenced time period."

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Jags Fan Dan
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Kyle -

I know that what you are doing is in the best interests of the forum/collecting community...but be careful. It would stink if the auction houses/Lampson came down on you with litigation. You may want to put a disclaimer or something. You are a good kid, and college is on the horizon - just be careful.

Your friend in STL

Dave
But as they taught us in my journalism classes, the best defense against charges of libel is proof that your composition is truthful. I don't think Kyle would have any problems.:D

Eric
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
To clear a couple of things up

Kyle has made this list on his own for his website, not as part of GUU.

I have to agree with Dave Grob about a suggestion that Kyle made in his Lampson List. You can't say that Lampson "lied" unless you have specific knowledge that he did. If you lie, you are doing it intentionally. You can be incorrect, mistaken etc- but that's a whole different area from lying.

Kyle, as other people have mentioned in this thread, i think you have to be very careful about the words you use. It is very important to mention the facts as you know them.

If you feel the need to list Lampson's mistakes on your website, that's up to you. But unless you know something we don't, I'm not sure you can say he was lying.
Eric Stangel

tym
01-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Kyle,
Regarding, "Washing tags are sewn on top of seam instead of inside" I am 100% positive teams (at leaast the Mariners) have gotten jerseys like this from the manufacturer. I would remove that from your list.
Regards,
Ty

ChrisCavalier
01-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

While we certainly cannot control the content that someone wishes to post on their own website, on behalf of Game Used Universe I would like to respectfully request that any references to Game Used Universe on personal websites be be done in a manner that is consistent with the goals of our site. Specifically, the purpose of the forum is still consistent with the reason Eric created it. As stated on the bottom of this page:

"This forum was originally created by Eric Stangel as a way to bring game used collectors together and help hobbyists educate each other."

To that extent, we have created a number of rules that are intended to allow the forum to operate in a positive environment while helping collectors in whatever way we can. While we understand people are entitled to their opinions, we think it is important to also understand the implications of statements suggesting "fraud" and "lies". The goals of our site are to help educate collectors so they can make informed decisions about the industry and items they may be interested in purchasing. It is not a goal of our site or this forum to try to discredit anyone whether they are a member of our site or not. In fact, the following rule speaks to that point:

No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

While the page referenced in this thread is not posted on this site, I would hope any references to content on this site would be for educational purposes and not as an attempt to discredit another. Please note that I am not mentioning this in an attempt to defend anyone as GUU has no business relationship with the person mentioned whatsoever. Again, while we understand that others can do what they want with their own websites, we would respectfully ask that you please consider the objectives and goals of GUU if you use this site as a reference while including your own editorial comments.

This forum has become such a great place for collectors to learn and there are so many positive things that have been shared, by people like Kyle, that we strongly believe our goals can be better achieved in an environment that doesn't make things personal. At this point, I feel strongly that this thread should be locked as the intent of the content referenced is inconsistent with the goals of GUU. If anyone has any questions they can email me directly at chris@gameuseduniverse.com and I will be happy to discuss that decision.

Sincerely,
Chris