PDA

View Full Version : Show us your Super Bowl Related GU Items

joelsabi
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Thought I bring this topic up to get us ready for the Super Bowl.

Show us you Super Bowl Related GU Items.

joelsabi
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
is this stuff impossible to come by?

scottanservitz
01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I've seen very few items relating to the Superbowl, but the ones I have are extremely expensive. I saw a Marshall Faulk jersey with good documentation and it was $5500. Great player, so if somebody wants something they will have to pony up BIG bucks. Therefore, I have nothing to share. Hope somebody has something to show.
Scott

toddhead
01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
I know Roger Gibson had a John Taylor 49ers Super Bowl used jersey...

beantown
01-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Tom Brady Super Bowl XXXIX...

gameused
01-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Beantown,

Is that his Super Bowl game worn jersey? The jersey you have has red piping along the sides and sleeves. On the corbis pic of Brady it shows white piping along those areas.

Bobby

Peterson28
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Tom Brady Super Bowl XXXIX...
Actually the piping looks red in the game photo also. nice jersey

Vintagedeputy
02-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Hopefully by Monday, I'll have a Super Bowl related (sort of) item to post........dont want to jinx myself with all of the thefts being reported.

Jim

kylehess10
02-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Beantown,

Is that his Super Bowl game worn jersey? The jersey you have has red piping along the sides and sleeves. On the corbis pic of Brady it shows white piping along those areas.

Bobby

Along with that, the Super Bowl patch is nowhere near the tiny numbers when compared to the Corbis photo.

PK
02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Beantown, not to rain on your post, but on top of the the other 2 points, the actual picture does not clearly show the red piping down the side of the jersey that yours has. To go with Kyle and the patch, they do look very close to the shoulder numbers in your jersey, the patch actually looks like it goes across the 2 seams where the front panel meets the shoulder panel.

What kind of documentation do you have for your Brady jersey? Any other game photos of Brady?

G1X
02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Gentlemen,

I have no comment on the Brady jersey, but I wanted to clarify a very important fact. The Patriots have red piping that trims the spandex side panels on both their white jerseys and blue jerseys. The piping shows up fairly well in photos of the blue jerseys, but in photos of the white jerseys, the piping tends to "disappear" into the blue spandex panel. If you study close-up shots carefully or have a Pats jersey in your collection, you will note the piping.

I hope this information is useful and helps clear up that particular issue which was brought up in several posts.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

G1X
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
A follow-up to my previous post. There is an excellent color photo of Tom Brady from Super Bowl XXXIX on the cover of the February 3 issue of Sports Collectors Digest. The red piping that trims the blue spandex side panel can be seen as can the Super Bowl XXXIX patch. For an even better view of the red piping, check out the cover photo of Brady in action on the February 5 issue of Pro Football Weekly.

Not intending to be critical of anyone or to preach, but everyone needs to be careful and perform some basic due dilligence before debating jerseys in this forum. This thread and the recent Larry Wilson thread were especially troubling for me as a football jersey collector due to the misinformation posted. It had nothing to do with the validity of the jerseys in question, but rather with inaccurate information being posted as fact by folks who appeared to be speaking outside their specialty niche areas of collecting. It was apparent that little or no research was performed in both instances by those posting the inaccurate information. If you think about it for a second, this is the very same thing that some in this forum criticize authenticators of doing - authenticating jerseys outside their areas of expertise and/or not performing their due dilligence.

Everyone needs to be sure that their "facts" are indeed facts before posting. Misinformation can be very damaging on several levels, especially if a potential sale is at stake. But perhaps worse of all, fiction can sometimes become "fact" in these situations, especially if no one speaks up and presents the actual facts.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

PK
02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
A follow-up to my previous post. There is an excellent color photo of Tom Brady from Super Bowl XXXIX on the cover of the February 3 issue of Sports Collectors Digest. The red piping that trims the blue spandex side panel can be seen as can the Super Bowl XXXIX patch. For an even better view of the red piping, check out the cover photo of Brady in action on the February 5 issue of Pro Football Weekly.

Not intending to be critical of anyone or to preach, but everyone needs to be careful and perform some basic due dilligence before debating jerseys in this forum. This thread and the recent Larry Wilson thread were especially troubling for me as a football jersey collector due to the misinformation posted. It had nothing to do with the validity of the jerseys in question, but rather with inaccurate information being posted as fact by folks who appeared to be speaking outside their specialty niche areas of collecting. It was apparent that little or no research was performed in both instances by those posting the inaccurate information. If you think about it for a second, this is the very same thing that some in this forum criticize authenticators of doing - authenticating jerseys outside their areas of expertise and/or not performing their due dilligence.

Everyone needs to be sure that their "facts" are indeed facts before posting. Misinformation can be very damaging on several levels, especially if a potential sale is at stake. But perhaps worse of all, fiction can sometimes become "fact" in these situations, especially if no one speaks up and presents the actual facts.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Mark, things work both ways. From that picture can you 100% confirm that is a Super Bowl game worn Tom Brady jersey? What would you stake on it? All we did was point a few thing out that we noticed and ask what kind of documentation he had on it. How many Brady Super Bowl jerseys have hit the open market?

I also just did look at more pictures on Corbis and wont say what I saw, but I will say he does have a sweet jersey there and would love to see full front and back pictures for game wear that I see in the Corbis pictures. and is asking who wrote the LOA for a one of a kind jersey like that asking too much? From a collectors stand point, I would like to know as I do not remember ever seeing too many, if any, Pats Super Bowl jerseys hit the market.

No disrespect is meant to anyone, it's just not everyday you see a jersey like that.

lund6771
02-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Mark...your posts are always very insightfull and I'm sure that everyone here values your opinion...

I'm not really sure if I agree with your comparisons with forum members to authenticators...the authenticators are being PAID to provide a novice collector with a security blanket...we all know that most of the time there is very little if any research done by these so called authenticators...it seems like it's always the ole "looks good to me" philosophy...I would like your opinion if you think that forum members do more research than authenticators

it appears to me that most members of this site are collectors and treat this as a hobby...based on the "what do you do for a living" thread is why I feel comfortable stating this...for me, this is the "free world" for opinions that fellow collectors can share with each other...and protect each other from the numerous scams out there...

Mark, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on what the percentage of real vs fake items is out there...I can't imagine many more hobbies out there with such a high percentage...

what really gets to me sometimes is that a dealers item should be assumed to be real, unless a collector finds undisputable proof that it is not the real thing....based on the horrific real to fake percentage ratio, the dealer should be the one to provide 100% proof before selling something...

G1X
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
PK,

It appears that perhaps you are entirely missing my point. As stated in my initial post, I have no comment on the Brady jersey in question. That post was intended to clarify the misinformation from several posters who stated that there was no red piping on the Patriots white jerseys.

My second post was a follow-up to point out two excellent examples of photos from recent magazine covers that show the red piping. One of the photos happened to be from Super Bowl XXXIX. Once again, I am making no comment about the Brady jersey in question. Furthermore, in the second paragraph, I specifically state that my concern really has nothing to do with the validity of the Brady jersey nor the Larry Wilson jersey that was also used as an example.

My intent in the last two paragraphs of the second post was to voice my continued concern of folks in this forum posting inaccuracies about items outside their niche areas of expertise (and without apparently performing much research). I find this to be a disservice to all, and somewhat hypocritical of those who criticize authenticators for allegedly doing that very same thing (i.e. accusing authenticators of making opinions on things outside their area of expertise and/or not performing their due dilligence in researching the items).

My plea is for forum members to be able to state accurate, documented facts when entering into a debate about an item. If not sure of the facts, either ask the question or else perform some basic research before running the risk of posting inaccurate information such as the piping issue.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

G1X
02-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Pk,

kjjavic
02-07-2008, 11:50 PM
These 3 items are not really game used, but definetly game related. First is a lockerroom nameplate for Eagles LB and Special teamer Mike Labinjo used above his locker for Superbowl XXXIX. Second are 2 ID passes given to Labinjo to be worn during Superbowl week. The first 1 is a Pre-event pass (I assume to be worn during media days, etc), and the 2nd is a Game Day Field Pass.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/kjjavic/superbowllocker.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/kjjavic/superbowlpasses.jpg

G1X
02-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Sorry about that last blank post.

Lund,

Judging from some of the football posts I see in this forum, there are some forum members who appear to perform solid research before they post (or are at least well-versed in their area of specialty), and there appears to be at least a few members who hit the "Submit Reply" button without doing any reseach other than looking at a couple of Getty Images.

My question to you is this: Why do collectors get a free pass for passing on inaccurate information? Bad information is bad infomation regardless of the source. It doesn't matter to me whether it is the most respected authenticator or the newest collector on the block - if they state inaccurate information, it is doing us all a disservice. I am not debating the right to voice an opinion. My point is for forum members to post facts, and be able to substantiate those facts, when debating/discussing a jersey.

As for the percentage of fake items, I have no clue other than to agree that I can't imagine any other hobby having as much suspected fraudulent activity. I have seen folks who are long-time, respected hobbyists do things that are unethical in order to make a dollar, so nothing much surprises me anymore.

Regarding your comments about dealers, I agree that a dealer should be able to substantiate that an item is legitimate. I can only speak for myself, but that is precisely what I try to do. Any item on my list is researched thoroughly as though it would be part of my own personal collection. If I don't feel comfortable enough with an item to put it in my own collection, then it is not good enough for my price list. I cannot think of anything worse than discovering that I sold an item that was proven not to be real. I would feel like a failure on two levels - both as a seller and in performing my due dilligence in researching the item - not to mention feeling like I had let a customer down.

On the flip side of that coin, as a collector, I take the approach of caveat emptor. I trust no one but myself. I better research the item as I certainly am not going to depend on a COA, LOA, word of the equipment manager, etc. etc., etc. Buyers who don't perform their own research and/or depend heavily on a COA/LOA are opening themselves to heartache. Plus, they are really doing themselves a disservice, especially since there often can be a large amount of money involved.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net