PDA

View Full Version : Joe Kennedy signed baseball ! Is it real ?

camarokids
01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi there ,
I just won this baseball autographed by Joe Kennedy .

His signature is pretty plain and simple , so it most likely would not be hard for a forger to fake .

The seller has 100% Positive feedback of almost 800 . so I took a chance .

I have been looking at getting his signature for a while now since he passed away . I also have 2 tickets from the last game Joe Kennedy pitched in against the Devil Rays here in St. Petersburg, FL , will make a display ......

Opinions ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330206234476&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 330206234476%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

AWA85
01-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Im guessing it did not go for a high price, even though he has passed. Just like bats, not many people would take the time to forge a lesser known player for the little pay off. I have an 8 x 10 picture of him with the D Rays that was signed at a TRI STAR show I would be willing to part with for a low price if you are interested.

AWA85@live.com

camarokids
02-05-2008, 12:41 AM
what's up ????

doesn't anyone have any examples of autograph to share and compare?

thank you !

David
02-05-2008, 01:35 AM
It looks similar to his signatures on certified autograph baseball cards.

David
02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
When someone says they got the autograph in person, what matters is whether they are honest. You don't have to be an autograph expert to be telling the truth about getting an autograph in person. I don't know the seller, but his perfect feedback, that the player isn't a star (most subject to forgery and fakery) and that the signature closely resembles known authentic signatures, would suggest to be that the autograph is genuine. The vast majority of forgeries are of star players like Pujols and George Brett, not common players. Why would someone forge a low demand $9.99 signature when they could, with the same writing time and effort, forge an easy to move $50 Nolan Ryan or $200 Albert Pujols-- especially when the ball itself costs the forger money. As forgers are only in it for the money, they are into maximizing their time and money.

My guess is your autographed ball is genuine.

David
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
One last point concerning the forgery of common player signatures.

Even for Babe Ruth and Nolan Ryan forgeries, most forgeries simply look bad. You don't have to be a PSA authenticator to recognize many Ty Cobb forgeries as crap. It's dang hard to mimic handwriting.

To make a forgery closely resemble the real signature takes a lot of time and effort-- practicing and practicing and practicing the signature. A good forger ain't dumb, he's going to put this limited time and effort into practicing a Ruth or Ryan or Albert Pujols signature, not a commoner that won't sell for $2 if it sells.

On a team signed ball, one of the best tests if the ball is genuine is not to compare Mickey Mantle or Ty Cobb signatures with known genuine examples, but to compare the commoners, the nobodies and journeymen, to known examples of their signatures. A team ball forger will spend his effort perfecting thing the obvious Mantle and Cobb sigs, not all the commoners most collectors won't give a second glance anyway. If common players 'signatures on a team ball compares perfectly with known genuine examples, that is a strong sign the ball is genuine.

This means if a common player's question signature very closely matches known authentic examples, that's a strong sign, if not definitive proof, that the signature is genuine-- as no forger would take the time and effort to practice over and over and over a cheap, commmor's signature-- their effort is spent towards mimicking the easy to sell stars.

ahuff
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Here is a copy of one I found on ebay. There was another one on checkoutmycards.com that looked very similar to the one on your baseball.

camarokids
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the help and replies everyone ! I was concerned , only cause in my quest to find an autograph of his , I was seeing some sigs that just did not look right .