PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Stolen Or Lost Items!!!!

skipcareyisfat
02-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Hello All -
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'll keep it brief. About a month ago I sent Tom Pagnozzi's game used Cardinals helmet to the office of his Fayetteville, Arkansas charity to be autographed. I used delivery confirmation, so I know it arrived on Dec. 27. Unfortunately, since it was delivered during Christmas their office was closed for about a week. The package was left in front of their door, inside the building. Apparently someone picked it up because no one at the charity ever saw it.

The helmet is solid red, uncracked, shows outstanding use including quite a bit of pine tar, scratches, etc. on it and does NOT have Pags' number 19 on the front or back, although you can clearly see the outline of the numbers. There is another unique characteristic that I'll share with anyone who might ever come in contact with it. I realize that this isn't the same thing as looking for a Pujols or A-Rod gamer, but I still enjoyed having it and I hope to have it back again one day. Plus, theft really irritates me. So, if everyone could please keep their eyes open for this, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you again!

Jason Taylor
jctaylor101@yahoo.com

trsent
05-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Today in Highland Park, IL at Bergies Sportcard Dugout the following card was stolen by local students:

2004-2005 LeBron James - Kobe Brant Dual Autographed Exquisite Basketball "Dual Autograph Patches" Serial #1 of 5.

If you happen to be offered this item for sale, please contact Andrew Bergman at 847-433-2250. The card is listed on the national police registry for stolen merchandise so you can also contact you local police.

Any help is appreciated.

sylbry
05-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Is that the set that comes in $500 packs?

trsent
05-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Is that the set that comes in $500 packs?

I believe so, I know he valued the card at $4000.00.

otismalibu
05-31-2006, 09:36 AM
No wonder students never post here...they're always getting bashed. Maybe they just took it to get graded. Or maybe they mailed it to a certain someone for authentication. Just think how much more it will be worth with a letter that says "jerseys swatches show signs of wear and have no alterations of any kind".

:)

Greg

Swoboda4
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2466131
Keep an eye open for this it's more than likely headed for the market

RKGIBSON
09-16-2006, 11:54 PM
During a visit last week, Kevin Greene told me of the jersey that he wore in Superbowl XXX was stolen, along with other items from his home. It was traded in Birmingham Alabama for drugs. The guy is currently in jail for this but the jersey has not been recovered. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

irestorecars@sbcglobal.net

Roger

skipcareyisfat
01-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Please read the following article. This is really unfortunate. Few things get me fired up as much as theft. I just spoke to Tim on the phone about a month ago as he was preparing for this clinic. He had some really nice - and unique - things, which I believe will stick out when the losers who stole this stuff try and sell it. Tim's a nice guy and deserves all the help he can get. So, please help keep an eye out for his stuff. As the article partially alludes to, Tim's primary focus was on 1990s - current Braves memorabilia. He owned a lot of Andruw Jones, Francoeur and McCann material, in addition to quite a bit of recent common to mid-tier Braves equipment.

Jason

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20070111/NEWS/101110098/-1/rss01

skipcareyisfat
01-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Try this link if the other one doesn't work:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest/big-memorabilia-heist-in-nevada.html

3arod13
01-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Please read the following article. This is really unfortunate. Few things get me fired up as much as theft. I just spoke to Tim on the phone about a month ago as he was preparing for this clinic. He had some really nice - and unique - things, which I believe will stick out when the losers who stole this stuff try and sell it. Tim's a nice guy and deserves all the help he can get. So, please help keep an eye out for his stuff. As the article partially alludes to, Tim's primary focus was on 1990s - current Braves memorabilia. He owned a lot of Andruw Jones, Francoeur and McCann material, in addition to quite a bit of recent common to mid-tier Braves equipment.

Jason

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20070111/NEWS/101110098/-1/rss01

Outraged! I think it would be a good idea if Tim has pictues of his items that were stolen, and he or someone can get them posted in this forum and elsewhere, so we can keep an eye out for his stuff and ensure the thiefs get what they deserve! Sad part is, it's most likely someone he knows and trusted.

I hate reading stories like this. Tony

Snowbird
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
This is awful, has anyone heard any updates about this. As fellow collectors it would be great if we could help solve this one as I know that ones collection can be so important and ones pride and joy. Does anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...10098/-1/rss01 (http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20070111/NEWS/101110098/-1/rss01)

Oil Can Dan
01-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Please excuse the rant, but I can relate, somewhat, to this experience. Back when I was 17 years old some people broke into my house one night and stole (amoung other things) a boatload of my baseball cards. They stole a 1960 Topps set (not quite complete) and a 1963 Fleer set, along with 9-card sleeves containing cards of all the "stars", like Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Yaz, etc. They eventually caught the kids and they admitted to stealing then selling my cards to "The House of Cards", in Maryland, for $50. Turns out one of the two kids brought the cards into the store and claimed the cards belonged to his grandfather, who had died, so he wanted to sell them. This was in 1988 and there were cards in those 9-card sleeves there were brand freakin new, so there's no way that story held any water and the card shop knew it, so they apparently declined to buy them at all, but when the kid pleaded with the guy the guy said "I'll give you $50 for them all", which the kid agreed to.

I went to the House of Cards in an attempt to get them back or to at least buy them back, hopefully at some discounted price, but they would have none of it. First they said they didn't buy them, then they changed their story to "we bought them, but we sold them as a whole lot", then to "we bought them, sold some of them, but we don't know what's yours and what's ours". The police contacted them after I met with them but unfortunately there were no laws that dictated that protected me (as there were with Pawn shops), so I was s**t out of luck.

So I can empathize a bit, even though I lost mass-produced baseball cards and Tim lost unique collectables that are far less easy to replace. I spent many years building those sets, though, so I can still feel his pain even though the circumstances are a little different.

BTW, I believe The House of Cards is still in business to this day. I would hope that given the opportunity to bring your business elsewhere, you would.

stkmtimo
01-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Please excuse the rant, but I can relate, somewhat, to this experience. Back when I was 17 years old some people broke into my house one night and stole (amoung other things) a boatload of my baseball cards. They stole a 1960 Topps set (not quite complete) and a 1963 Fleer set, along with 9-card sleeves containing cards of all the "stars", like Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Yaz, etc. They eventually caught the kids and they admitted to stealing then selling my cards to "The House of Cards", in Maryland, for $50. Turns out one of the two kids brought the cards into the store and claimed the cards belonged to his grandfather, who had died, so he wanted to sell them. This was in 1988 and there were cards in those 9-card sleeves there were brand freakin new, so there's no way that story held any water and the card shop knew it, so they apparently declined to buy them at all, but when the kid pleaded with the guy the guy said "I'll give you $50 for them all", which the kid agreed to.

I went to the House of Cards in an attempt to get them back or to at least buy them back, hopefully at some discounted price, but they would have none of it. First they said they didn't buy them, then they changed their story to "we bought them, but we sold them as a whole lot", then to "we bought them, sold some of them, but we don't know what's yours and what's ours". The police contacted them after I met with them but unfortunately there were no laws that dictated that protected me (as there were with Pawn shops), so I was s**t out of luck.

So I can empathize a bit, even though I lost mass-produced baseball cards and Tim lost unique collectables that are far less easy to replace. I spent many years building those sets, though, so I can still feel his pain even though the circumstances are a little different.

BTW, I believe The House of Cards is still in business to this day. I would hope that given the opportunity to bring your business elsewhere, you would.

Terrible story, like Tim's. Why people steal things that are not theirs is beyond me. Don't they have anything better to do? How pathetic.

I for one will never buy from House of Cards again and if I hear/see anything about Tim Crowder's collection I will alert everyone.

Thanks,

Tim

Utopian2630
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Oil Can,
I can certainly relate to that experience as a similar thing happened to me when I was 16 or so. Most of my 1933 Goudeys were stolen, about half a complete set with one Ruth and a lot of HOFers. In addition, an entire binder full of 800 autographed cards (mostly baseball cards) that spanned 6 years of my childhood outside of Three Rivers Stadium. One day while at a resale shop looking for music equipment, I noticed a bunch of Goudeys in pretty good shape (as a lot of mine were). I also noticed the person had an entire case of them. I casually brought up that I had similar cards that were stolen from me and he asked how long ago, when I told them it was recent he said "I think these might be yours", since aparently it was a 16 year old who brought them in. Turns out one of my 'friends' from school had stolen my cards, taken them to this resale shop and sold them to 'pay for his sick father's medical bills'. The guy at the resale shop gave them back to me cheap because he said he didn't want the bad karma in the store. As for the autographs, at a card store near my house, I saw a group of autographed cards which looked a lot like the ones I had. In addition, some of the cards were personalized to me. When I brought this to the owners attention he basically flipped out on me saying he doesn't buy stolen goods and most of the autographed stuff in the store he got on his own. I said to him "well did Jeff Bagwell spell your name wrong too?" The guy then asked me to leave the store for accusing him of buying stolen property. The funny thing is, I never accused him of anything, I just said these cards looked familiar.

I never got my cards back, but this guy is out of business. As for the resale shop, last time I checked that place is still around....aparently the 'bad karma' never came to that guy.

skipcareyisfat
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
This is awful, has anyone heard any updates about this.

I emailed Tim a couple days ago but I haven't heard back. I'm still hoping he'll send pics of the stolen items so I can post them here. Keep your fingers crossed.

cjmedina1
01-23-2007, 02:04 PM
If anything comes up here in my town of Bakersfield I will let you know.

Canseco44
05-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Just wanted to try and see if anyone on the forum had any info on this subject. Last summer when Jose tried his comeback with the Golden Baseball League, he contacted me after the first game wanting some help. It seems he had sold all of his bats and would have to wait to have some special made for him. All of the bats the League had measured 34" or less. Jose likes to use a 36" 34oz bat so he had a problem. He asked if he could borrow a couple of bats until his came in. I said sure and sent him a list of my bats and the measurements. He requested two of them and I shipped them to him overnight. One was a game used Expos Easton, the other a blonde White Sox SAM bat. I got the SAM bat from Jose originally and it is the one in the photo in his book from the tryout with the Dodgers. While with team it was stolen along with my other bat. I don't know how to post photos so you will have to look in a book or Gettys. I would really like this bat back if anyone has seen it. It is signed Jose Canseco Game Used #31. It also has very distinguished tar markings. Jose did send me two Easton Maple bats from his time with the Long Beach Armada(which are personalized to me To Todd, Thanks for Everything Jose Canseco), but I would like the SAM bat back. If anyone has any info on this or if they turn up in the aftermarket, please let me know at spideyman79@yahoo.com I have rock solid proof of ownership.

Thanks for any help, Todd Ricks

Canseco44
05-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Just wanted to add that these were last seen at the Long Beach Armada clubhouse. I have contacted them and they have not seen them. Jose said they were taken from the clubhouse. Surely they will appear on the market sometime. Does anyone know what legal actions I could take if it does surface?

Thanks, Todd

whatupyos
05-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey Todd,

I'm really sorry to hear about your bats being jacked! Thats terrible, although it was very generous of you to loan them to Jose to use. I hope one day they will be returned to you. I can't stand thieves!!! In terms of legal action, it would be hard to prove. Say they show up on the market. I know its illegal to be in posession of stolen property, however, from what I've researched, in terms of sports memorabilia...its certainly hard to prove. My guess would be, if they show up in a hypothetical example on say, EBAY, contact the seller and ask how they were obtained. Surely if they unknowingly got them thinking they were obtained without being stolen, they should do the right thing and return them to you. Its certainly good that you have proof of the bats, so that helps!! I seem to remember a previous thread about items to look out for that had been stolen. I hope those will be returned one day as well. I'd like to see the thief behind bars where they belong, with a nice grand theft label to their record. Good luck in finding them.

Aaron

staindsox
05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
A related issue happened to me. If you see them and you can prove that they are yours, you call your local police department immediately. They in turn will contact the local police department of wherever the seller is from.

Remember the vintage collection stolen from an older collector in Illinois? It doesn't matter who has them or how they got them...you are entitled to retrieving your property. You must contact the police.

If they were stolen from the clubhouse, you should have probably already filed with the local police down there. If you ever see them in the future, it can be referenced to the clubhouse case.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Canseco44
05-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the help. I am thinking about calling the Long Beach Police. Surely these will turn up somewhere or they could have been taken by a fellow teammate as a momento. It was really special to me so I hope to get it back somehow. If anyone can post a photo of it from the book I would appreciate it. I still cannot figure out how to post pics.

Thanks, Todd Ricks

JasonM33
05-15-2007, 01:56 AM
That's pretty lame that someone would steal them. I hope you get them back.

-Jason M

cohibasmoker
07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Just saw this on eBay. The auction number is: 160140915566

Maybe a forum member can help in tracking down the thief(s).

DO NOT BID!!!! PLEASE DO NOT BID!!! CALLING ALL REAL SPORTS FANS!! WE NEED YOUR HELP.FORMER ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE STAR AND FORMER NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS SUPERSTAR NEEDS YOUR HELP!!! JOHN HANNAH, WHO PLAYED FOR LEGENDARY ALABAMA FOOTBALL COACH PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT,AND THE PATRIOTS FROM 1973-1985 AND NFL HALL OF FAMERS HALL OF RING HAS BEEN STOLEN!!!!! MR. HANNAH FIRST NOTICED HIS RING BEING GONE ABOUT A WEEK AGO.MR HANNAH WAS IN DECATUR ALABAMA.THIS IS A CALL TO ALL TRUE SPORTS FANS AND REAL COLLECTORS IF YOUR HAVE ANY INFO LEADING TO THE RETURN OF THIS RING WILL BE REWARDED.THIS IS A GREAT PART OF THIS MAN'S LIFE THAT NEEDS TO BE RETURNED TO HIM!! NO QUESTIONS WILL BE ASKED WE JUST WANT HIS RING RETURNED,IF YOU LIVE AROUND THE DECATUR ALABAMA AREA PLEASE BE ON THE LOOK OUT AND CONTACT US AT MT STORE AT 256-355-0141,OR BY E-MAIL OR CONTACT THE POLICE THEN US!!! LIKE I SAID MR. HANNAH HAS OFFERED A REWARD FOR HIS RING! THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND ONCE AGAIN PLEASE DO NOT BID ON THIS AUCTION!!!! PLEASE DO NOT BID

allstarsplus
08-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I had a box of bats broken in to while in transit. In the box, there was a great Alfonso Soriano game used SAM bat from 2003 from the Yankees with Steiner hologram on it stolen from a bat box which was delivered by UPS.

It is a blonde SAM bat with taped handle and pine tar on the label and a repaired crack and on the cupped end of the bat are:

35"
33oz.
08 13 03
AS 12

I filed a Police report and also filed with UPS. If anyone sees the Soriano appear on eBay or anywhere else, please notify me as I am offering a $250 reward for anyone who can help me recover this bat. I figure it will eventually show up.

thanks. Andrew

Vintagedeputy
08-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Best of luck Andrew - Lets all help him out here.

Vintagedeputy
08-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Andrew - any idea where it was stolen from? City, State?

cohibasmoker
08-21-2007, 04:35 PM
What the serial number on the hologram?

Jim

allstarsplus
08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the responses as I really appreciate it. I always thought that the boxes get weighed in along the way from driver to sorting facility and back to each driver but UPS said that isn't the case so the box dropped in weight somewhere along the way with no way to determine where the Soriano dropped out of sight. UPS said that the drivers are visually searched and wanded as they leave the facility so they think if it was foul play it would have been taken along the route.

They are telling me now they think the possibility that the box ripped by weighted force so maybe the bats dropped out due to a shift in weight and weren't stolen and be found. Another interesting theory.

As far as #'d Steiner holograms---this was hologram'd under the old system so it didn't have the number but luckily it has the SAM bat batch number #3462 to identify it.

Bob Malandro from Steiner is helping look for my original invoice too as I can't locate that either as luckily I have insurance so cash-wise I should be close to OK. This is just more of being pissed off by getting ripped off. There is a Forum member that wanted to buy the bat too so I feel bad for him also. There were other bats of lesser value in the box too.

Thanks again. Andrew

geoff
08-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear about that.It sucks and I hope you find the bat soon.

JETEFAN
01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi,

Would the GUU Administration consider adding a topic category, like General discussion, For Sale, etc. to list items stolen (Transit, robbery etc.) so that we may list pictures of these stolen or lost items and at least limit the avenues of sale to these theives. Opinions and thoughts?

George

3arod13
01-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi,

Would the GUU Administration consider adding a topic category, like General discussion, For Sale, etc. to list items stolen (Transit, robbery etc.) so that we may list pictures of these stolen or lost items and at least limit the avenues of sale to these theives. Opinions and thoughts?

George

George, great idea!

RobSteinmetz
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
George,

Start a thread about this in the Game Used Memorabilia Discussion forum and I'll make it "sticky" - similar to the thread about game issued items.

Rob

JETEFAN
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi

Here are some pics of a Frank Thomas early 90's LS stolen through the USPS System.

Harvesttrustinv@aol.com

Thnks
George

JETEFAN
01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
George,

Start a thread about this in the Game Used Memorabilia Discussion forum and I'll make it "sticky" - similar to the thread about game issued items.

Rob

Thanks for the help Rob, thread started !!

George

mchmaj
01-29-2008, 11:37 AM
i lost 1998 david cone yankees grey jersey with tagged CONE-98 during xmas rush season in 2005 , i sent it via USPS priority to syosset, NY to a guy with ebay acct of SPLIT2323, changed to somewhat names.... and the david cone jersey was lost in the mail...... i wuld like to know if any of you see david cone yankees 1998 grey jersey around, its MINE, as i already refunded $$ to him ...is there any chance the guy split2323 got it and never told me ??
let me know
thanks
marcus

RobSteinmetz
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Marcus,

Might help to post photos of the Cone jersey, as there are likely several 1998 road jerseys of his on the market. If you need help, send them to me and I'll post them for you.

Best,

Rob

mchmaj
01-29-2008, 12:44 PM
problem is i cannot find the pictures in my file, its common yankees grey jersey with CONE-98 tag below the size tag of russell, NEW YORK on the front with #36 on the back size 46
thanks

mchmaj
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
problem is i cannot find the pictures in my file, its common yankees grey jersey with CONE-98 tag below the size tag of russell, NEW YORK on the front with #36 on the back size 46
thanksNEVER MIND i found it thur finder on the computer :)
heres the pictures............

BULBUS
01-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey Marcus, please email me at donnie23fan@yahoo.com.

I sent a package UPS and the item was listed as delivered, but the buyer never got it. The buyer didnt purchase additional insurance so he only got back UPS's standard $100 of a $600 purhase. Anyway here are pictures of a Yankee Stadium game used base from 9-18-04 vs. the Boston Red Sox signed by Derek Jeter (comes with a Steiner LOA)

From now on, insurance is included in my s/h price and I pay for signature confirmation.

cohibasmoker
01-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Question, were any of these items actually reported as stolen to the local police? If not, I would suggest that be done.

All of the items show are unique items. As such, once they are reported stolen, the police can add serial numbers, tagging schemes, usage on the bat etc when the individual item is logged into the NCIC/SCIC computer system.

If any item(s) shown up on eBay, eBay WILL cooperate with law-enforcement.

Jim

bigtruck260
01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Question, were any of these items actually reported as stolen to the local police? If not, I would suggest that be done.

All of the items show are unique items. As such, once they are reported stolen, the police can add serial numbers, tagging schemes, usage on the bat etc when the individual item is logged into the NCIC/SCIC computer system.

If any item(s) shown up on eBay, eBay WILL cooperate with law-enforcement.

Jim

Jim -

The police will not do anything with UPS becasue they are a private service entitiy. I have tried that before.

The best excuse I have heard is: "What kind of moron places his $70,000/yr job on the line for a stupid bat.?"

And they wonder why people suddenly snap.

Dave

3arod13
01-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Many bats are stolen by UPS employees. They are easy to identify and UPS delivery people will still leave an empty box, knowing the contents are missing. Must find a better way to mail a bat so it's not so obvious it's a bat.

This was my post from the past thread about this subject:

When it happened to me, I was so lucky that I saw the UPS guy running away from my house and towards his truck. When I yelled to him that the box was empty, which was obvious, and he then came back and I could tell he was playing dumb. No way could he not tell the box was empty, especially when one end was open. Oh, the tube was in there, but not the bat. If it fell out, the entire contents including the tube would have fallen out. Yes, someone definately attempted to steal it. I called and then ran straight down to UPS. Yes, by the time I got to UPS, they found the bat. They said it slipped out somehow and they found it. Yeah, I bought that story.

I got lucky. Many don't. How people can rob and steal from others in the performance of their duties, is beyond me. We live is a greedy society. Truly sad!

Regards, Tony

mchmaj
01-30-2008, 01:01 PM
NEVER MIND i found it thur finder on the computer :)
heres the pictures............
guys, i need your help... i finally found split2323's email address and i emailed him saying "subject: hello there, david cone yankees grey 1998 jersey i sold to you and you told me u didnt get it but theres a story about you so i wuld like have it back and please ship the cone jersey to my address." he replied back "i cannot read ur emails, are you 3 years old
cone i never got any cone from you, want to make up storys, how about all bad stuff you sell want to start with that
you have way to much time on your hands

im going to start a thread about your bad sttuff, dont email me again with this bull****, i paid you,you never sent it, i asked you what proff+you had none
dont email me again i cant be wasting my time look out for what im going to write about you"

then i replied back go ahead i dont care you did the same thing to other people and i sent it with correct zip code and everything... i dont care what happened and i do understand so pls send it back and problem will be gone
smile
then he replied back "dont have your cone never got it
go back to school and learn to read+write
LOL,
then i replied back saying you can make it up and send it back to me and i will tell people that you made up and everything and i am sure you are a good guy inside you...... and then he blocked my email, AS he already blocked my old email ....
so i really need your help, and what shuld i do ?
hes in syossett, NY and i think he still have my jersey from what i read his emails.......
let me know
marcus

JETEFAN
01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Guys,

It's great to get all the input on the stolen item stories, but lets try to keep this post to strickly post pictures and brief synopsis of where it was stolen, this way members can easily see the items without having to scroll thru all the comments. There is a thread for all the stories.:o

Thanks
George

OaklandAsFan
02-02-2008, 09:01 PM
ok well I will start off on all the stuff my ex stole from me.
If anyone has received or seen for sale in the last 2 years any large number of Oakland A's game used gear (including Huston street cleats, Jason Isringhausen cleats, Kevin Appier cleats. Johnny Damon batting helmet) or some autographed Athletics bobbleheads please let me know at the following email

Mdragon75@aim.com

There was also a Barry Zito game used bat in the same lot of stuff and close to 200 autographed baseballs. alot of just random autographs plus team signed balls from 2000 through 2005, 2 Tony Gwynn sweet spots balls, 3 Ryne Sandbergs, 1 Frank Robinson. 2 Paul Molitor, several Zito's, Tim Hudsons, Mark Mulders, Huston Streets as well.

Now on to recent thefts after reading your threads I was the victim of UPS theft. My mother had gotten me a Jay Payton and Donnie Murphy bats at the A's fanfest and had shipped them to me. One tube showed up empty and the other tube did not show up and has an "exception" listed for the tracking.

LEGEND33
03-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Ebay # 360032616787 shows 2 pics of a Larry Bird jersey.
The one on the manequin is the jersey i have in my collection !!!!!!!!
visible at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33 (http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33)

just mailed to the seller, waiting for answer

otismalibu
03-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I've had this done before. I contacted eBay and they ended the auction.

Bottom of the auction.

Report This Item>
Copying of Your Listing>
Picture Was Copied w/o Permission

both-teams-played-hard
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360032616787&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/360032616787_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

When I read your post, I thought it was some kind of scam. But, the seller is just an idiot. He's selling some crappy replica that looks nothing like your real Bird. EBay will end the auction, if you email them. Could this be a forum member(or lurker), who used a link to your webshots?

commando
03-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Geez, that's a funny one...

Using a photo of your jersey to sell the cheapest replica I have EVER seen... I wouldn't take one of those crappy jerseys for free.

ndevlin
03-18-2008, 11:34 PM
You have a TON of jerseys!! nice collection

bobcatfan
03-19-2008, 12:51 AM
wow! what a collection!...is there any chance you would want to sell the bogues or mourning jerseys? i was a HUGE hornets fan and i'm trying to find some gamers to build a collection...thanks!

platinum1
03-19-2008, 10:05 AM
wow! what a collection!...is there any chance you would want to sell the bogues or mourning jerseys? i was a HUGE hornets fan and i'm trying to find some gamers to build a collection...thanks!
Send me an email I might have something you like?
edgar@platinummemorabilia.net

LEGEND33
03-19-2008, 12:10 PM
No answer from the seller. ... i ve sent e-mail to ebay.

dcrules01
03-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Good Luck with that...I hate people that do this crap...

joelsabi
03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
this is an example of why i am leery of putting photos of my items on the net. also i took the advise of a person here who saves photos of items of interest that have sold on ebay just to recall who owns the item in question last. anyone else keep track of items of interest to yourself and what is your method.

crosetti
03-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently lost a 1947 Frank Crosetti New York Yankees 19 consecutive wins presentational wristwatch. I believe it was stolen from my apartment in San Francisco, but cannot be sure. It's fine quality 14K gold wristwatch presented to Frank Crosetti in celebration of the 1947 Yankees record setting 19 consecutive victories. Reverse is inscribed, "Frank Crosetti[facsimile signature] 1947 19 Straight Wins American League Record". The Yankees logo is also engraved onto the back plate of the watch.

Watch has enourmous sentimental value and I'm offering a substantial reward for its return. The watch was lost in San Francisco, so I'm placing this ad anywhere in hopes that someone has found it and can return it to me.

Please contact Michael at 415-673-3253 or mtvmccoy@yahoo.com

platinum1
04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
I just saw this one on ebay I hope this is the bat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jose-Canseco-Long-Beach-Armada-game-bat-last-team-ever_W0QQitemZ220219461765QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60596 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

platinum1
04-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I just saw this one on ebay I hope this is the bat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jose-Canseco-Long-Beach-Armada-game-bat-last-team-ever_W0QQitemZ220219461765QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60596 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Never mind

Canseco44
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I have posted this before, but not on this thread. I had a blonde SAM bat of Jose Canseco's from his days with the White Sox. I bought it from him and then turned around and loaned it to him to use while with the Long Beach Armada. While it was in there clubhouse, someone stole it. It appears in his book Juiced in the photo pf his tryout with the Dodgers. I cannot post photos, so if someone can post that photo on this thread I would really appreciate it. This bat has very distinctive pine tar patterns, and I could easily identify it. This bat was very special to me so I would love to have it back. If anyone sees it or knows where it is please contact me at spideyman79@yahoo.com

Thanks, Todd Ricks

metsbats
05-02-2008, 08:52 PM
This would go under the Lost category

I purchased this bat on ebay on April 24 and the seller sent it out via USPS priority mail on April 25. It's now May 2 and i have not received it.

Bat was in route from Colorado to New York.

I just received a bat from Michigan which was mailed via USPS priority mail on April 30th and arrive to me today May 2nd.

David

metsbats
05-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Hodges bat in route from Colorado to NY is found.

It was delivered today (USPS Priority mail 8 day special i guess).

Thanks
David

BMH
05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Alright, we have one missing or should I say MLB does...

Good Morning America received the Mother's Day bats of Arod and Jeter. Both have been hit with and were signed. Anyway after the story they were sent back to MLB but only the Arod bat showed up. So if anyone spots a pink Jeter bat, signed and having ball marks on any site please let me know. I can't really say it was stolen but it is lost.

The Lumber Company
07-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Hello.
I just sent a package with three bats to someone in the Pittsburgh area. The package was missing an awesome Willie Stargell bat.....it was already graded by everyone. I am trying to get scans of the COA's.....as soon as I get them I will let everyone know more details.
Thanks for any help....I was hoping that if it turned up at the national that someone could notify me.

It has the markings of more of a 65-68 but was graded as a 1971 due to a unique order.
Thanks,
Marty Wallach
813-416-0434

JCC1968
09-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi

Just wondering, I wanted Jim Leyritz to confirm the cleats I have were his used in the 1999 World Series. He said he will not sign anything that was stolen from him. He also said he wanted the cleats back. This brings up several questions:

1) who leagally owes the cleats?

2) does he was any legal standpoint on the cleats?

3) Has this happened to anyone else?

In retrospect. Hollywood Rick has had them for three years. Mrs. Leyritz has signed a COA with them. They had been up on his website. what do you guys think?

Jason

David
09-28-2008, 03:47 PM
If the were stolen from him, they are his not yours. You can't legally purchase and own items that are stolen.

However, you don't know that they were stolen. Just because he says she stole them, doesn't automatically prove it true. In a marital property marriage, the wife owns the stuff as much as the husband, and she may or may not have assumed legal ownership after breakup.

If they were stolen, you would have legal right to get your money back.

David
09-28-2008, 03:53 PM
You should try and contact the wife, as she may offer a different version of the events, possibly with a divorce lawyer to back it up.

yanks12025
09-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Did this happen or are you just asking to find what you could do if it ever happened. If it did happen like you are saying he would need to show proof that they were stolen, and if he did then their his.

David
09-28-2008, 04:03 PM
One last note-- and I should say I have no opinion on the ownership of your items, and am offering no opinion on the coach--, but I once had a player's lawyer contact me to say an expensive item I won at auction was stolen from the player and I should return it. After minimal research by the auction house president, records showed that the item was not only never stolen from the player, but the player never owned it. I gave these facts to the lawyer, and he never returned message. So I learned that just because someone official claims something was stolen, doesn't automatically mean it was stolen.

David
09-28-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree with Yanks. Even if they are stolen, he has to have proof of it. Legal recovery of items involves more than pointing at random things on the street and saying "That was stolen from me." You have to provide proof.

David
09-28-2008, 04:27 PM
One last little tidbit to ponder about vintage equipment, like jerseys, pants, shoes, equipment bag. Was a player ever the owner of the items? Or were they always owned by the team? If a player took home his equipment bag after the season, did he have legal right to the bag? How much of an old time player's stuff was taken without permission from his employer? Likely quite a bit.

JCC1968
09-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi

This is a real case . I am going through this now with the cleats from my other posts. The funny thing is that i have a written COA from his ex wife Mrs. Leyritz confirming the cleats as game used.

Thanks
Jason

Danny899
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
One last note-- and I should say I have no opinion on the ownership of your items, and am offering no opinion on the coach--, but I once had a player's lawyer contact me to say an expensive item I won at auction was stolen from the player and I should return it. After minimal research by the auction house president, records showed that the item was not only never stolen from the player, but the player never owned it. I gave these facts to the lawyer, and he never returned message. So I learned that just because someone official claims something was stolen, doesn't automatically mean it was stolen.

You are quite correct. Anyone can make an allegation of theft. If it was in fact stolen there should be a police report documenting the theft. Then if it turns up down the road it is in fact stolen property. Of course proving intent is a whole different story.

nyjetsfan14
09-28-2008, 06:09 PM
If the were stolen from him, they are his not yours. You can't legally purchase and own items that are stolen.

However, you don't know that they were stolen. Just because he says she stole them, doesn't automatically prove it true. In a marital property marriage, the wife owns the stuff as much as the husband, and she may or may not have assumed legal ownership after breakup.

If they were stolen, you would have legal right to get your money back.

A guy can't even get his own d##n shoes in a divorce settlement these days :eek:

mvandor
09-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Do you know him or her personally? You write as though you do.

I'm sure there are divorce papers covering who got what, if you want the cleats that bad tell him to produce some backup for his claim they were "stolen" or are his under the divorce settlement.

Of course, you can count on never getting them signed if you fight him over this.

But, given his legal problems these days, he's about as likely as O.J. to come after you over these...

Oh wait, hmmm. Well, at least stay away from Vegas if you decide to keep 'em. :)

JCC1968
09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi

I don't know Jim personally, but i know some of his people. He has in the past signed some of my game used items and personalized them. Something he doesn't like to do. I had an opportuntity to buy the cleats so i did. I never thought they would be stolen.

Thanks
Jason

jppopma
09-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Remember that possession is 9/10 of the law! If you have them, he will need to prove that they legally belong to him. If they are that important to him, I'm sure they would be listed as going to him in divorce papers. The who's property is who's is all up to the court to decide and it will all be spelled out.

Even then he will be hard pressed to prove that THOSE shoes are indeed the ones that were stolen by his wife. I'm sure he wore many a pair through his career and can't positively keep track of all of them.

Enough with the legal stuff....your best bet is to get him to sign the shoes and offer him to add a note to her COA with some kind references to her. :) I'm sure getting to deface (or add in our opinions) her COA would be very therapeutic for him. In the end you end up with a one of a kind COA and a great collectibe.

rose14
09-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Jim may want those cleats back when he has to fend off all the guys in prison which he should be sent to after killing that person drinking & driving.

commando
09-30-2008, 11:54 AM
At this point, it would be unrealistic to get the cleats signed. Just my humble opinion.

Ripken
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Jim Leyritz has people?

Yankwood
09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Perhaps Mr. Leyritz should offer an amnesty program whereby any of us (oops!), I mean, anybody wishing to return his game used items gets a free pass and visitation rights.......

Dewey2007
10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Kevin Maas New York Yankees game used bat. It was a '91-93 LVS bat since it had the Yankees team name stamped on the barrel. There was lots of tape residue around the barrel. The bat was shipped via UPS by AJ Sports Collectibles. The shipping tube arrived but not the bat. It must have been stolen somewhere during transit.

I will post pics if I can get some from AJ Sports Collectibles.

bubbrubb25
12-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Well bought a game used Jhonny Estrada bat off zookerman182 on here and today got an empty bat box, they even lost the plastic cap that was on the bottom and just put a load of tape on it. I'm pissed this is getting out of control.

Gillymo
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I had a letter on Greenbay Packers letterhead from Curly Lambeau.
My Dad (when he was a kid)had written to the Packers requesting a few photos of players.
Mr Lambeau responded that they did not have any available but thanks for being a fan. He signed wonderfully at the bottom in blue pen.
I ran across the letter while packing boxes and placed it in a drawer to eventually be framed after our move.(museum glass,the works)
After the move, the letter was gone......No trace...No nothing.
It still kills me!!!!!!

Gillymo
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
A black and white Photo of Johnny Unitas.
While the photo was a common Hall of fame photo. It was the inscription.

" To Art from one Steeler reject to another"

My dad and Mr Unitas were both cut on the same day at Steelers camp. They shared a cab to the bus station.

The photo was taken from my dad's room within hours after he passed away.

I'd love to get it back.

Sluggo
01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Lost in shipping this past September. UPS fallout in transit. Tape on box just happened to "break" in very clean straight lines (like it was sliced) when the empty box arrived. (ot - I still need a Bo Diaz mid-late '80s btw)

Thanks
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii332/RedsBats/1ad2_1.jpg
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii332/RedsBats/1c5e_1.jpg
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii332/RedsBats/1b49_1.jpg

metsbats
01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Jesse Orosco ERROR BAT

I won this bat on Ebay on Dec 22. Seller has shipped however it never got from Buzzards Bay Mass. to New York.

It's a Jesse Orsoco error bat. GROSCO. No 47 on the knob.

If any one gets offered this bat or see it any where please let me know

Thanks!

dodgerbats
01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
JIM YOUNGBLOOD LOS ANGELES RAMS GAME WORN JERSEY!

ROAD JERSEY WITH RARE "HAND WARMER"! I HAVE UP CLOSE PHOTOS OF ALL REPAIRS!

REWARD!

IT'S BEEN ABOUT A YEAR, BUT IT WILL SHOW UP SOME DAY! :mad:

JCC1968
01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi

I have had several UPS items delievered with the box open. They must of decided that the bats was not worth it. Never have had anything too expensive shipping through UPS.

Jason

metsbats
02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I lost a game used MITCHELL block letter C243 blonde Louisville slugger. It has no.43 on the knob and is a John Mitchell bat. From what I remember it had not much use but there may have been a slight chip in the handle. Bat may have been a 84-85 era bat.

Thanks

beantown
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
***STOLEN***

Fred Lynn
Game Worn Used
1988 Orioles Alternate Orange Pull Over Jersey

Item arrived/scanned at my Post Office on 03/27/2009, which was confirmed via tracking information...package was NEVER attempted to be delivered...no one at the Post Office has any answers as to its whereabouts? Please keep an eye out on the memorabilia market for it...if anyone sees anything, please contact me at cjarone1@verizon.net
Thanks...Chris

kakarothusain
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
once i ordered some games cds on ebay and i payed for these cds but till now these cds are not delivered to me.I think that my cds must be stolen during its shipping..http://www.pppcm.com/138l1134.jpg

GarkoCollector
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
once i ordered some games cds on ebay and i payed for these cds but till now these cds are not delivered to me.I think that my cds must be stolen during its shipping..http://www.pppcm.com/138l1134.jpg

Uh...what?

kakarothusain
05-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Uh...what?

ya i think that my cd pack seal must be opened therefore it is lost..

Swoboda4
05-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I recently bought and had shipped through USPS a Dave Mlicki bat shipped in tube. Like a previous reply the tube was opened. On one side the paper preventing movement was removed. The bat was apparently looked at and deciding not worth the crime,put back without paper and taped back hastily. The seller said paper was placed on both ends to secure bat inside tube.
I believe the thefts and attempted thefts from USPS occur from within the delivery truck. To do so at a post office is extremely risky.

metsbats
05-22-2009, 02:55 PM
I recently bought and had shipped through USPS a Dave Mlicki bat shipped in tube. Like a previous reply the tube was opened. On one side the paper preventing movement was removed. The bat was apparently looked at and deciding not worth the crime,put back without paper and taped back hastily. The seller said paper was placed on both ends to secure bat inside tube.
I believe the thefts and attempted thefts from USPS occur from within the delivery truck. To do so at a post office is extremely risky.

Unless the entire post office is in on it. If not the suspect would be your mail carrier.

Fraudfinder!!
05-31-2009, 06:38 AM
FYI......

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Splendid+Splinter%27s+person al+items+stolen+in+Swanzey&articleId=93ada488-3c51-4d8a-ba9c-200d34606c2a

anzyyy
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
hey...i recently lost my phone.......:D

berglandjets
07-14-2009, 04:30 PM
STOLEN...NAMATH JERSEY!!

Taken from an office in the Studio City area of CA. Original auction listing attached...HELP.

berglandjets
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
photos

slam
07-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello Fellow Members,

Please be on the look out for a Game Worn 2001 SF Giants Jeff Kent black alternative home jersey. The jersey was sent for an autograph and never made it back to me. The USPS shows that it was sent but never delivered back to me, so it was stolen within the postal system. It's been 3 weeks since its last destination scan, so it save to say I won't be getting this back :mad:

rj_lucas
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
$50K in memorabilia stolen from Wichita, KS sports bar on 7/29, including two signed Ruth balls:

http://www.kansas.com/news/story/910474.html

$50,000 in sports memorabilia stolen from Players

BY STAN FINGER The Wichita Eagle

Two baseballs signed by Babe Ruth and other sports memorabilia items were stolen from a west Wichita sports bar shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday, police said.

The balls were taken from a display case at Players Sports Bar in the 6200 block of West 21st Street, Capt. Darrell Haynes said.

Also taken were a Mickey Mantle baseball card, a 1985 Kansas City Royals championship ring, rings from Super Bowls IX and X, and Big 8 championship rings for Nebraska and Oklahoma.

The combined value of the stolen items is "in excess of $50,000," Haynes said.

A baseball in good condition with a clear Babe Ruth autograph could be worth $75,000 alone, said Joe Ruocco, owner of the sports memorabilia shop Rock's Dugout at 3232 N. Rock Road.

The timing of the thefts is likely no coincidence, Ruocco said. The 30th National Sports Collectors Convention began Wednesday in Cleveland and runs through Sunday.

"If they were to get rid of them, that's the best place to do it," Ruocco said. "There's a lot of high-end buyers there."

A Mickey Mantle baseball card from his rookie year in 1952 could fetch $30,000 if it's in good condition, Ruocco said.

The stolen baseballs signed by Babe Ruth have certificates of authenticity that are in the owner's safe, said Mike Santiago, kitchen manager for Players.

Without those, Santiago said, whoever stole the baseballs will have a hard time selling them.

"Who's going to want to buy it and pay that much money and implicate themselves?" he asked.

The robber or robbers smashed laminated glass on the northeast corner of the building, then went to the front entrance on the southwest side of the building and smashed two display cases, Santiago said.

"They knew exactly what they wanted," Santiago said. "There's a lot of stuff they could have taken, but they went for the most expensive items."
The thieves also knew their way around the bar, he said.

"They were in and out of there in no time," Santiago said.

By the time officers arrived in response to the building alarm, the thieves were gone.

Local pawnshops have already been alerted, Santiago said, and the owner will be monitoring eBay and other Internet auction and sales sites as well as communicating with prominent collectors.

The bar has security cameras, Haynes said, "but we don't know if they were working."

Because the thief or thieves had to crawl through a hole with jagged glass edges to get in, Haynes said, residents are being advised to call police if someone they know has several fresh cuts and no obvious explanation for them.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com

metsbats
08-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Jesse Orosco ERROR BAT

I won this bat on Ebay on Dec 22. Seller has shipped however it never got from Buzzards Bay Mass. to New York.

It's a Jesse Orsoco error bat. GROSCO. No 47 on the knob.

If any one gets offered this bat or see it any where please let me know

Thanks!

Here's a update on this one. The bat never turned up but I was looking at the Orosco I currently have and just noticed that the "O" in Orosco was penned in over a "G". So it turns out that I had an "GROSCO" bat all along and never knew it.

Funny how things work out.

Now if only I can find my missing John Mitchell!

BorchertField
08-06-2009, 12:04 PM
The bar has security cameras, Haynes said, "but we don't know if they were working."

You have to be kidding me.

In those two cases alone, the bar had $50K worth of memorabilia on display. And the security cameras might not have been working?

Can't believe that the bar's insurance company would be thrilled about that. Or maybe they would, since that might let them off the hook.

I really hope the police captain meant he personally didn't know, not that the police department as a whole didn't know.

skipcarayislegend
09-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I hope Ryan Rentschler isn't a GUU member! ;)

http://www.ajc.com/sports/man-charged-with-theft-137571.html

Toowon
10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I had a Pittsburgh Maulers and Pitt Panthers helmet sent to me and left on my porch by UPS. Someone took them. I don't think the UPS dude took them. I really miss the Maulers helmet - a somewhat rare item. I believe the number on the inside was #50. If you see any Pittsburgh Maulers game used helmets, could you email me at mcostanzo@lausanneschool.com? I'll buy it. Thanks!

3arod13
10-21-2009, 06:51 AM
I highly recommending using FEDEX only. Never had any problems, and I make sure I'm home on delivery day (always use overnight).

If you still decide to use UPS, make sure you're home on delivery day. This way, as the UPS person arrives, there's no way they can hand you an empty box.

While I was home on delivery day, the UPS driver tried to drop off an empty box, but I was there to confronted him. Called UPS while he stood there. Went down to UPS and there was my bat. Told it must have slipped out.

Sure...slipped out of a tube, in a box that was heavily taped at each end.

Sad part is, UPS doesn't care and is doing nothing to prevent stolen mail by their employees.

Regards, Tony

Swoboda4
11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Sorry for the late reply (6 months later) but my carrier is a older woman who I know. The bat tube was opened ,looked at,deemed not worth it,and put back together before her delivery-somewhere else in USPS. I know,I said the truck is the safest place for them to inspect and steal.I still believe it-just somewhere else along the line in this case.

zegret
11-25-2009, 02:50 AM
I had a game used Texas Tech football helmet stolen from my office when a construction crew was there doing some renovation work while I was away. They took it from the closet, where I had put it away for the work. I guess he felt like he needed it more than I did. :mad:

It worked out though, as I confronted the owner of the crew and he had a feeling he knew who took it, but couldn't prove it, as he had just fired the guy. Dude went nuts and crashed his car into the owners work van! Yikes!

Anyway, the owner offered to replace it, so I ended up getting a game used Graham Harrell helmet from the university at an auction! :D Owner wrote me a check, so all is well now!

ivo610
12-29-2009, 10:34 PM
anyone follow up on this?

Swoboda4
12-30-2009, 08:54 AM
This jacket was recently removed from my custody in the Westchester N.Y. area. A $100 reward will be sent to anyone for its safe return.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/stearnsjacket1.jpg?t=1262180929

Swoboda4
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I know there's a stolen items thread but since these things don't happen to us all that often,allow me to post here also. I'm offering $100 to anyone who can locate this jacket that was taken from me while in Westchester N.Y.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/stearnsjacket1.jpg?t=1262180929

NEFAN
12-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Should be easy to recover if it is being sold on eBay. Hannah should contact the authorities.

Swoboda4
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
A friend who knows about this theft called to inform me that he saw this jacket worn by a young man who was on the opposite platform of a subway station on 59th St. in NYC.
If anyone sees it for sale/auction please inform on this thread-thanks

kylehess10
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
If you were able to get a time of when your friend saw him, you should go to the same location at the same time. If he rides the subway for work or something, then there's a good chance he'd be there at the same spot at the same time every day.

Manram
02-08-2010, 01:08 PM
If you were able to get a time of when your friend saw him, you should go to the same location at the same time. If he rides the subway for work or something, then there's a good chance he'd be there at the same spot at the same time every day.

That could be a possibility. Good idea Kyle :)

justinbittner220
04-16-2010, 04:56 PM
So this isn't my story, but it is one that my uncle told me about his unfortunate situation...

So about 25 years ago or so, my uncle, a coin, jewelry, and sports memorabilia dealer, got word that Willie Mays world series ring was for sale for a few thousand dollars. He contacted his partner and they jumped at the oppurtunity to purchase this ring.

Once they owned the ring, they found out that Willie would be at a convention in Atlantic City, just a few hours away from Pa., so they thought that they could swap the ring back to Willie for some other signed memorabilia.

Once in AC, they had the front desk leave a message for Willie to call them about his ring. Later that night, in their hotel room, they met with some other friends and dealers for an all night drinking and poker extravaganza. Everyone wanted to try on this World Series ring... Everyone. The night came to a close and everyone left. The ring was gone.

The next morning, my uncle got a phone call from Willie, himself, asking about the ring. My uncle said, the good news is that I had your ring. The bad news is, somebody stole it. Willie told him that the ring was stolen from him when he was at a hotel in New York several years before that and it hadn't surfaced since.

What I take from this story, is that whenever I have had a bad day, I just tell myself, at least I never lost Willie Mays World Series ring...

earlywynnfan
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
There was just an item in today's Cleveland paper that Dan Williams, the BP coach for the Indians during the late 90's, had his house broken into and his 3 championship rings stolen. I don't know any more about it, but just wanted to alert you all in case anyone sees them.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

jrjj211
08-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Jerseys and other memorabilia stolen from Lorenzo Neal

Yesterday Lorenzo Neal tweeted that his house was broken into and jerseys were stolen here are the tweets and be on the lookout.

@LorenzoNeal
Today is a sad day. I just got home from Sacramento and my house was broken into. Say a prayer for me and my family. They stole my personal gear from my rookie year, my jersies from the saints up to the chargers, my Ali vs Frasier gloves, They also stole some jewelry, the jewelry I can replace but my memories from 16 years of playing I cant. Please be on the lookout Craigslist, ebay, or sports shops for people selling Lorenzo Neal items. I am offering $5000 for recovery. Things to look for. One of a kind Neal, Saints jersey, Bengals jersey, all framed, Ali Frasier gloves, Jerry Rice signed framed jersey, Helmets, from my years playing. $5000 to whoever can lead to the recovery of my stuff. I appreciate you all!! LoNeal

BaseballGM
08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Another postal worker caught.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=147734&catid=188

Dach0sen0ne
08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Another postal worker caught.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=147734&catid=188

Probably where all my Netflix went. :eek:

scootmagroot
08-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Jerseys and other memorabilia stolen from Lorenzo Neal

Yesterday Lorenzo Neal tweeted that his house was broken into and jerseys were stolen here are the tweets and be on the lookout.

Wow....this sucks. Lorenzo is a great guy. Sucks someone would do this knowing who he is. I hope someone finds his stuff and doesnt take the money hes offering.

Jayworld
09-13-2010, 07:36 AM
My father, who is a former long-time college and Southwest Conference official, had several watches stolen from their home. Although the watches are (in most cases) not one-of-a-kind, they are extremely rare (less than 10 of each) and would be easy to spot. If you have any information, or encounter any of these via eBay, Craig's List, etc., please contact me.

List of watches stolen:
1986 Sugar Bowl (has Sugar bowl logo on the watch face). Silver and gold Hamilton brand. One given to each official, so only 7-8 are known to exist.

1988 Fiesta Bowl (Florida State vs. Nebraska). Gold watch. Only 7-8 known to exist.

1996 Rose Bowl (USC vs. Northwestern). Gold watch. Only 7-8 known to exist.

Gold Seiko Dallas Football Association watch, engraved on back with the years 1979-80 on back and my dad's name. Given to him for being Dallas president at that time.

Thank you in advance for reading this.

metsbats
10-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Dan Uggla game issued 2009 Bat which I won on Ebay.

Lost in transit via USPS LaCenter WA to NY.

justinbittner220
10-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Was the bat insured and/or confirmed delivery? Was it shipped priority or parcel? I, too, have had several things disappear, recently, via the USPS. I did have something take 22 days to ship from Pa to MN. Figure that one out. Maybe you will get lucky and it will appear.

metsbats
10-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Was the bat insured and/or confirmed delivery? Was it shipped priority or parcel? I, too, have had several things disappear, recently, via the USPS. I did have something take 22 days to ship from Pa to MN. Figure that one out. Maybe you will get lucky and it will appear.

Happy to report that it arrived today. The seller told me it was shipped last Monday 10/18 but the post mark was 10/26. Perhaps he got confused.

Thanks for the post. USPS is not what it used to be lately I agree.

justinbittner220
10-31-2010, 12:34 PM
That's excellent news! I'm glad something positive happened with the situation.

halzeus
11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
"Items stolen after Pat Burns' funeral"

I just saw this on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5866907

lakeerie92
06-03-2011, 09:15 PM
2011 Civil Rights Game game used baseball from the Braves MLB hologram number FJ 180788 came up missing when UPS said it was delivered at 4:45 on June 1st. I arrived home at 5:30 to no packages

halzeus
06-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Michigan Wolverines 1997 National Championship Ring Stolen in Florida.

Link (http://www.news-press.com/article/20110531/CRIME/110531029/University-Michigan-football-championship-ring-stolen-during-Bonita-Springs-burglary?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7Cs)

Buster23!
06-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I have been to 30-40 sports collectable shows in my life time. In the past 5 years I have been talking to dealers and they all stat that at most of these shows they are having problems with stuff on there talbe walking off. The last two Tristar shows I have been to I have seen people sneeking cards into there bag and walking off. I even saw a team of three guys that sat next to me in the food court walk up to a table from 3 different angels and talk to the dealer on one side of the talble while their buddy on the other side of the table stole 5-6 BOXES of cards. As a dealer you need to be looking out for other dealers.

sox83cubs84
06-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Back at the 1983 National, a person still active in the hobby today (although not universally loved nor respected) was showing off by flashing $1500 in hundred dollar bills at a table when he set the money down on the table to look at a seller's jersey. Needless to say, while he was inspecting the potential purchase, some anonymous attendee grabbed the wad of bills and slithered off before anyone noticed. Of course, if someone's flashing cash and trying to play high roller publicly, they're kind of bringing this on themselves.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave Miedema

bobbvc
06-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Not lost in the traditional sense, but in 1985 I sold a large group of game used bats for about an average of $10 each. Though many great players were included (Ozzie Smith, Dave Winfield), I'd sure like to get my 1969 Jose Arcia autographed gamer back one day.

cliffjmp33
02-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Former Penn State star and Heisman Trophy Winner John Cappelletti had his house recently broken into.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/7526303/southern-california-home-ex-heisman-trophy-winner-john-cappelletti-burglarized

LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. -- Southern California authorities are investigating the theft of sports memorabilia and jewelry from the home of former football star John Cappelletti, the 1973 Heisman Trophy winner from Penn State.

Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino said Tuesday that the burglary occurred on or around Jan. 20 at Cappelletti's home in Laguna Niguel.

Amormino says he cannot say specifically what items were taken but they do relate to Cappelletti's playing days at Penn State and NFL years with the Los Angeles Rams and the San Diego Chargers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sd/san-diego-chargers).

The spokesman says Cappelletti released a statement describing some of the items as irreplaceable and saying he would consider offering a reward for their return.
Burglaries are not common in Laguna Niguel, an upscale community about 50 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

cubbs1232
04-08-2012, 12:31 PM
This weekend a Johnny Damon home white Rays jersey was lost/stolen from my collection. There are only 3 home whites of his that i know of so if one hits the market please let me know. Thanks.

sox83cubs84
06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Not a biggie, but a FedEx Ground package containing a Phillies GU #3 cap (post-Dale Murphy) that was delivered to me never got in my hands. Apparently the driver chose to leave the package by the front door (no signature) and take off. Not totally surprising...of the delivery companies that bring parcles here, FedEx Ground is the worst.

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Not a biggie, but a FedEx Ground package containing a Phillies GU #3 cap (post-Dale Murphy) that was delivered to me never got in my hands. Apparently the driver chose to leave the package by the front door (no signature) and take off. Not totally surprising...of the delivery companies that bring parcles here, FedEx Ground is the worst.

Dave Miedema

After 8 days, the mystery has been solved....error on the FedEx Ground driver.

A woman rang the bell and handed me the package...she opened it thinking it was hers, and then saw the address and realized it wasn't. The contents were just fine, and the woman explained that her son was a cxollector, and she realized how I might be looking for this.

The woman, as it turns out, is a former down-the-block neighbor of mine. The package, clearly addressed by the seller as 1925 Grove, was instead dropped off at 1925 Kenilworth...not even the same street, and the street I moved from (at a different address nyumber) almost 2 years ago. Thank God that the woman was honest and realized the nature of the contents.

Dave Miedema

batrack125
08-11-2018, 07:42 AM
My fathers home was broken into years ago while I was away at college, I was storing my game used bat collection there, and the burglars made of with about a dozen of my bats....most were not big names and ones I had bought off ebay or from other collectors....there were two that really hurt. If these have ended up in someones collection, or they are seen I would love to know, no questions asked but they have sentimental value and I would like to add them back into my collection ....

Griffey Jr .... saved up money all summer for this guy, I was a huge Griffey fan and this was my favorite bat at the time:

Molitor .... Paul actually gave my brother and I this bat during one of his final seasons with the twins:

sox83cubs84
09-14-2018, 10:11 PM
I have a strong hunch that these were swiped by a non-collector Cubs fan who stayed with us for several months, but was jailed for something unrelated. The jerseys are Cubs (Cuba-front) blue mesh Majestic BPs from 1995 (no year tags) of #35 Bob Patterson and #45 Kent Bottenfield. Reward is offered, and jerseys are likely still in the Chicago area. Thanks.

Dave Miedema
sox83cubs84@hotmail.com