PDA

View Full Version : Ebay's New Feedback Policy - Beware

sammy
01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
In regard to eBay's new feedback policy, am I reading this wrong.

Apparently only sellers can now get negative / neutral feedback and buyers cannot.

If this is true, eBay has taken one very big step in the WRONG direction. Personally, this policy would truly, if I may be blunt, SUCK!

Feedback Changes:

The eBay Feedback system was designed to provide a simple, honest, accurate record of member experiences. Focusing on customer service includes doing everything we can to grow customer confidence in our sellers.

Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.
Positive repeat customer Feedback will count (up to 1 Feedback from the same buyer per week.)
Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage.
When a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) process the negative or neutral Feedback they have left for that transaction will be removed.
When a member is suspended, all their negative and neutral Feedback will be removed.
Buyers must wait 3 days before leaving negative or neutral feedback for sellers with an established track record, to encourage communication.
All Feedback must be left within 60 days (compared to 90 days today) of listing end to encourage timely Feedback and discourage abuse.
Buyers will be held more accountable when sellers report an unpaid item or commit other policy violations

mvandor
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Please tell me this is NOT true. Incredibly poor judgement if it is, buyers are flaky enough now, this will allow them to go completely off the reservation.

AWA85
01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Stuff like this makes me want to only do business through this board and a few dealers. Could see EBAY changing this rule back down the road, but why even go to it now.

XPFO
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
As a seller you can still file a grievance for non-payment and then in turn if a non-paying bidder claim is awarded in the sellers favour, that is recorded in the buyers feedback.

I think this is a way for a buyer not to receive retaliatory feedbacks if a negative feedback is left for a seller.

I still don't agree with it, but I think that is the case.

Dave

bigtruck260
01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
As an ebay seller who buys as much as I sell - and I have 100% feedback (knock on wood) - I would bet the most retalitory feedbacks are left buy buyers who do not pay within a reasonable time frame and get a negative posted.

In the past year, I deal with non-payers or extremely LATE payers 80% of the time. I allow 7 Days, but truthfully, it should never take that long on a item under $50. I underdstand waiting a few days on a high dollar item to acquire funds - but I digress.

I was not in favor of the seller "rating" system - as many buyers pay late and expect thier stuff delivered by Carl Edwards the next day. A seller will rarely get an item to a buyer that quickly. I ship packages within 24 hours of payment, and STILL I have had people complain that the mail took 7 days.

I have also left positive feedback for buyers that too FOREVER to pay me. Simply because I don't want the headache of dealing with a retalitory feedback. I have to wait until day 89 at midnight to leave a feedback for them (this has happened twice).

It has come to the point that I will only sell my stuff to other collectors via this site or an auction site (here too). There are too many immature buyers out there - and they seem to gravitate toward eBay.

Dave

BULBUS
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
The Ebay feedback system is a joke. As a seller, I NEVER leave feedback for a buyer until I receive it first. I've seen to many seller leave positive feedback after payment is received and the buyer leaves a negative or nuetral for no good reason.

And that new rating system is ridiculous. Like Dave, I ship within 24 hours and I still havent received a 5 star rating from everyone. I also show several pictures and charge only a couple dollars over the cost of actual shipping. I don't have 5 full stars in any category.

I wish I didnt have to sell on Ebay, but they get me the price I want and cash in my pocket.

34swtns
01-29-2008, 04:12 PM
I've always said it: If Walmart ran their business and used the same customer service policy as ebay they'd be out totally of business in a year's time.
Ebay has only been able to thrive using such a flawed system because they are a virtual marketplace and not a physical entity.
In 9 years on ebay I've only received 3 negative feedbacks and all three of them were undeserved retaliatory feedbacks left by people who had screwed me over somehow. I didn't deserve the blackeyes but I got them, nonetheless. Ebay is, unfortunately, a necessary evil for most of us and we're stuck with them and their lousy system..........at least until somebody comes along with a better option. And it will happen. Ask K-Mart, Builder's Square, the record industry, or any of a thousand businesses that once had the monopoly on their particular business sector.

cohibasmoker
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
eBay's feedback policy is like the saying goes, "you can put perfume on a pig, and even though the pig may smell better, it's still a pig".

Pay with a credit card. If the deal goes south, file a complaint with your credit card company because eBay won't do squat. You may get negative feedback but at least you'll get your money back.

Jim

tigerhidden
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
As if the new feedback policy isn't bad enough, they try to make it look like they are saving you money by cutting insertion fees. But if you check out the new final value fees, you can see they are actually raising the rates.

bushwickbill
01-30-2008, 01:05 AM
As if the new feedback policy isn't bad enough, they try to make it look like they are saving you money by cutting insertion fees. But if you check out the new final value fees, you can see they are actually raising the rates.

it's all about the DSRs now. :rolleyes:

10thMan
01-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Truck, I agree. The last time I sold (or tried to) on Ebay, I listed 7 Items, I had problems with 5 buyers, 2 didn`t respond or pay. 8-10 years ago, Ebay was killer!!! By the way, I have over 1200 Transactions & 420+ feeedback. People don`t bother to use POSITIVE feedback.
I just got a new Apt, & was thinking about listing a few Bats, Sosa, Gwynn, Pudge, Maybe i`ll use our Forum.
Sean