Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bscott
    • Dec 2006

Best Modern Game Used Investments?

Not that we all collect to invest, but some game used purchases end up being good investments.

With this in mind, what current (non-vintage) MLB game used items do you think have the most potential to go up in value and why?

-bscott.
  • AWA85
    • Jan 2008

Re: Best Modern Game Used Investments?

Ryan Braun's jock strap...?
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• bigtruck260
      • Sep 2007

I have said many times to friends over the years that So Taguchi items will blossom at some point. He lives in Japan - it's not like he's going to be coming back to the US for signings regularly when he reitres.

He is the first and only MLB Japanese Cardinal - and the only one with a WS ring and another NLCS ring. Not to mention, he was a popular player in his 6 seasons in STL. I am just glad I have a few things of his.

Edgar Renteria is another sleeper. He projects HOF numbers, but his GU stuff is still pretty inexpensive. I say, buy low and sell high like all investments...and never over-invest. I am sure that many Mark Prior collectors are kicking themsleves right now.

Dave
      Dave
      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
      River City Redbird Authentics
      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• misteremu
        • Nov 2005

Charlie Batch

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

Relative to other players of his era, how about Greg Maddux? Good chance that in 10, 20 years, he'll be ranked as the best pitcher of his era.

Comment

• godwulf
            • Aug 2007

I sincerely hope that Justin Upton's minor league jerseys will prove to be a huge investment gold mine some day, since I seem to have just about cornered the market on them. I'm actually not counting on it...but it would be nice.
            Jeff
            godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• nate
              • Nov 2005

My list would be guys who are close to retirement but HOF bound:

Greg Maddux
              Tom Glavine
              Randy Johnson
              Ken Griffey Jr.
              Frank Thomas
              Ivan Rodriguez
              Mike Piazza

The only jockstrap that would be funny to have:

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Comment

• commando
                • Nov 2007

I'm not sure if many true modern "investments" are out there. Superstar jerseys, in particular, need good documentation and/or provenance because unfortunately, lots of pro-cut unworn items are being made these days (not to mention the usual gamble of how the player will perform on the field). A good superstar jersey like this will cost you at least a couple thousand dollars, so you really have to "pay to play" when it comes to an item like this.
                sigpic
                Anthony Nunez
                Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
                www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• ahuff
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by godwulf
                  I sincerely hope that Justin Upton's minor league jerseys will prove to be a huge investment gold mine some day, since I seem to have just about cornered the market on them. I'm actually not counting on it...but it would be nice.
                  Do you happen to have his South Bend one?
                  "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Comment

• GameBats
                    • Nov 2005

1) Jeter
                    2) Jeter
                    3) Jeter
                    4) Jeter
                    5) Jeter

Comment

• RobSteinmetz
                      • Jan 1970

In my humble opinion, legitimate (well worn) game used fielders gloves are the ticket. They are by far the most undervalued item in our hobby when you take into account that most players only go through 1 or 2 each year (sometimes less). In terms of modern game used equipment, they are likely the last category of collectible that can be considered scarce.
                      Rob Steinmetz
                      www.authenticgamers.com
                      authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• kingjammy24
                        • Nov 2005

"what current (non-vintage) MLB game used items do you think have the most potential to go up in value and why?"

for the most part, most items have little potential to significantly increase in value. it has little to do with how well a player will do. rather, the inherant problem is that the current pricing is built on predictions and hype; on a players potential to win ROY or win 20 games or reach the HOF. if the pricing already has these assumptions built into it, then how much room is there for pricing to move upwards? in other words, even if the player lives up to the predictions, all they've done is justify the current pricing. they haven't made it increase because the pricing already assumed they'd accomplish those things. do you think that current pujols pricing doesn't have the assumption that he'll hit 500 HR built into it? of course it does. so if you're already paying 500 HR prices now, then how much can you really hope to gain when pujols eventually hits 500? it's not like it'll be surprising. all sorts of prognosticators are constantly trying to predict who'll end up where and when. current pricing is based to a large extent on these predictions. given that it's more likely for a player not to live up to lofty predictions, it's more likely for prices to eventually come down than go up dramatically. todd zeile? gregg jeffries? ben mcdonald? at the very start of the careers, all of their stuff was priced as if these guys were already 10-time all-stars. prices had nowhere to go but down because even if they had lived up to the hype, the prices would've stayed relatively level because it already assumed they'd live up to it.
                        as for maddux, griffey, arod etc, their current prices already reflect that they're first-ballot HOF'ers because everyone knows they're as good as in. they could all stop playing today and they're in. for them, the summer induction is nothing but a formality at this point. it's not like once these guys are formally inducted, people will say "wow back in '08, i really wasn't sure if griffey and maddux would make it in!" and prices will rise. substantial profits are made only when risks are taken. how are griffey or maddux or arod a risk in '08? their current stats have already sealed their fates. everyone knows this so the prices reflect it. griffey and maddux were risks in 1988. the HOF has an effect on the prices for some players but those are the players that most people weren't sure whether they'd make it or not. borderline guys who squeaked through. if you're currently selling a griffey or maddux gamer, then you obviously know you're selling the gamer of a HOF'er and you're going to price it as such. anyone buying a griffey gamer today knows they're buying a HOF gamer and will pay accordingly.

that said, i suppose there are still a few ways prices could rise.

you could find a sleeper. some 7th round, 253rd pick who flies completely under everyones radar and turns out to be the next ARod. good luck. it'll require you outsmarting every scout and sportswriter out there.

you could find a player who outperforms the predictions. good luck on that as well. most people are already predicting ARod will break Bonds' record and of course they're building that assumption into the current ARod pricing. i suppose in order for ARod prices to rise he'll have to rise above those lofty predictions and smash something like 900 HRs instead of a paltry 800.

the supply (ie: massive glut) of current MLB items makes it very difficult to turn a serious profit. didn't snag that 2004 pujols jersey or 2005 david wright bat? no worries, there'll be 50 more boxloads coming soon. no need to pay a premium when everyone's drowning in the stuff.

the only way i see of profiting from current MLB items is via arbitrage. the item or player doesn't really matter. the only thing that matters is that item, whatever it is, is simply underpriced and you're the first one to notice and grab it. of course, market forces are generally working against you on this one because if there's an underpriced item then it's likely several people will notice and attempt to buy it and suddenly it won't be underpriced anymore. ideally what needs to happen is that there's some poor soul going through a divorce or foreclosure or some such and he's willing to part with his item for substantially less than it's worth. you're the first one to notice and grab it. or you could strike a bulk deal in which the price on each piece is substantially less than the current market value. i imagine it'd have to be a pretty big bulk. barring arbitrage, i don't see how you can outwit all of the prognosticators out there whilst swimming upstream against the huge glut of current items, in order to realize a substantial return.

in short, big returns are only acheived by taking big risks. want a big return? find a risky player and pray he turns out to be the next ARod. at this point, there's little to no risk with ARod, Griffey, Maddux, so there's going to be little to no reward. as of today, ARod's already a HOF'er so how much more do you think prices can rise? since when has buying bluechips at their high point ever made a substantial return? for ARod's prices to increase substantially above their current level he'd have to surpass current expectations which are that he'll hit 45-50 HRs a season for the next several years. unless he takes Bonds' roid route, i don't see ARod turning 35 and suddenly belting out 60-65 HRs a year. he's already a first-ballot HOF'er. there's little upside left. buying him back in 1994 would've seen a return. buying him in '08? no risk, no reward.

I'll end off by suggesting you try this 2007 Troy Tulowitzki gamer for $3000: http://www.greyflannel.com/sales_mai...?updateID=3188
                        if your first reaction is "who the hell is troy tulowitzki?" then you're probably not alone. so far, tulowitzki has 1 full season under his belt. during that season he smashed an unreal 24 HR while maintaining awe-inspiring .291 average. the $3000 price tag seems to assume tulowitzki will start in the next 6 all-star games and average 40 HRs a season from here on in. the funny thing is, even if he does perform these huge feats, the price won't go up much because it already assumes he's done these things. What then would it take for this Tulowitzki to turn into a $6k jersey and really turn a profit for its buyer? Tulowitzki would quickly need to turn into the second coming of Ken Griffey Jr. good luck.

rudy.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                          • Sep 2007

Rudy -

Thanks for the GREAT read. Makes perfect sense...you should send that to SCD as an editorial - Lord knows they could use some substance.

Dave
                          Dave
                          Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                          River City Redbird Authentics
                          http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by godwulf
                            if these are for an investment, wait for his first great season and dump it. I like what rudy says that once they are well know you will get your price and keeping it will not get you any noticable additional return
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com
                            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• skyking26
                              • Dec 2005

I guess there are those out there that collect for investment. In 30 years of collecting I buy what I "like." Have a huge Dave Kingman collection which spans bats, jerseys and gloves. Also have bats from the 68 and 84 Tigers and collect Jim Thome and Adam Dunn stuff. Thome would stick out as the only viable HOF or investment thing right now - but who cares. This is a hobby based on my enjoyment and escapism from the daily grind...

RK
                              ROBERT KOPPEL
                              Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                              and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...