PDA

View Full Version : "Team Issued" Jerseys in MLB database

zookerman182
01-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Does mlb.com say all jerseys including BP jerseys are team issued or is there a jersey actaully in the database that is dubbed game used. There have been many jerseys that show good use and make sense of being game used but when i type the holo number is says team issued. Is there even such thing as "Game used" in the mlb database and if not then that really makes it hard on collectors when people ask over and over why it states "team issued" instead of "game used" when the jersey is obviously game used.

tym
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes there are examples when they state game used, I have a turn back the clock jersey from this year that sates that. Interestingly enough at the end of the season when they turn everything over to get MLBA tagged they only put “Game Issued” as they cannot validate what games it was used at. I have a lot of M’s jerseys from the end of the year that show great use, especially the catcher jerseys but they will not call them “used”. I had this conversation with the Mariners staff as well.
Here is a example of one jersey indicate game used with date and vs. information BB509987 </SPAN>
Cheers,
Ty
www.FriendsOfCFF.com/baseball

TNTtoys
01-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Does mlb.com say all jerseys including BP jerseys are team issued or is there a jersey actaully in the database that is dubbed game used. There have been many jerseys that show good use and make sense of being game used but when i type the holo number is says team issued. Is there even such thing as "Game used" in the mlb database and if not then that really makes it hard on collectors when people ask over and over why it states "team issued" instead of "game used" when the jersey is obviously game used.

Hi Matt,

I sent you an email with my thoughts on this same topic. It has also come up several times on this site in recent memory as well... you may want to run a search.

I have had an afterthought as well. Could it be possible that MLB is just marking everything as game issued because technically that is a true statement and thus their authentication can stop there -- as everything game used has been team issued but not everything team issued is ultimately game used? That would make this a laziness / lack of wanting to spend the time issue as opposed to just a team making error after error as it may appear. I do recall entire sets being listed as "team issued" (one that comes to mind is an Atlanta Braves set from this past year) when clearly some or even most of the items were used.

Nick

kellsox
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Many Red Sox jerseys are labeled "Team Issued" by the MLB database. Some show very light use, others show more. My thought is that unless the authenticators for MLB get the jersey immediately from the player that game, it will go in as team issued. This probably is easier for them to authenticate larger amouts of items and have to determine which were worn/not worn/etc... The Steiner LOAs do state game use. I know that a lot of items with an authentication date after the season went in as team issued- it doesn't mean they weren't worn, just not received immediately after a game. Just a guess
Kelly

centerfieldsports.com
01-31-2008, 07:34 PM
We have purchase game used jerseys from the team that are just pounded. Here is what the Mariners listed on an auction

A player-issued jersey is one that is issued to an individual player for use during the baseball season. These jerseys are turned back to the ballclub at the end of the season. When we authenticate a jersey as "Player-Issued", you are assured that the jersey was tailored to the player's personal specification by the clubhouse staff. Because the uniforms are collected from each player at the end of the season and not after individual games, we cannot authenticate them as "Game-Worn" or "Game-Used", which requires a specific game date to be associated with the jersey. Each jersey will show different levels of wear, depending on the way and/or how often they were worn.

tym
01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I think that has already been stated, but thanks for your input.
Ragards,
Ty

zookerman182
02-01-2008, 12:42 AM
centerfieldsports- thanks for the input. I dont really know what to tell people when they have this question about my item i am selling but now i know what to say. That makes alot of sense.