PDA

View Full Version : Mel Ott game model bat Help

PGriffin
02-16-2006, 11:00 AM
I found at an estate auction a few game model?? bats from the 1940's and 50's. I paid next to nothing for them and names included Dom Dimaggio and Mel Ott. They seem to show all the signs of Gamers and have factory numbers on the handle instead of lenghts, not to mention they came out of a former players estate. The Ott is marked 016, and the Dimaggio is marked 01. If anyone can help me out in identifying these bats for me it would help greatly. I have attached some pics of the ott bat if that helps at all. Thanks

bosoxfan4life
02-16-2006, 11:35 AM
who else did you pick up i have intrest in the dom dimaggio bat please email me. thanks

Bigcatbaseball
02-16-2006, 03:59 PM
If you are interested in selling the Ott bat, please email me.

ghostkid
02-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I think you'd have several interested parties if you decide to sell the Ott bat - myself included.

Kevin Kasper
kevinkasper@netzero.com

PGriffin
02-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I think you'd have several interested parties if you decide to sell the Ott bat - myself included.

Kevin Kasper
kevinkasper@netzero.com
I am thinking of selling it in the future what would you think an bat like this would bring value wise?

ghostkid
02-16-2006, 06:01 PM
I am thinking of selling it in the future what would you think an bat like this would bring value wise?

It looks to me like the bat is from the 1950-60 era, which was after Mel Ott's playing career ended (4 games in 1947). That's assuming the words "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF." are stamped below the centerbrand (center oval). As such, this bat is considered a post-career bat, and not worth even close to the price of a game used bat from his playing days. Check out the current Vintage Authentics auction (lot #101) for an Ott bat from the end of his playing career when he was a player/manager. Given that you bat is post-career, my opinion is that the bat is worth much less than the one currently for sale at Vintage Authentics. Post-career professional model bats are still quite collectible, but mostly for the budget-minded collectors that are not willing/able to pay the huge prices that some HOF gamers bring.

Kevin

MSpecht
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi--

Hereis some information on the Mel Ott and Dom DiMaggio bats:

A review of the Hillerich & Bradsby factory records shows that the first documented shipment of Model O16 bats sent to Mel Ott occurred on 4/29/49 when two bats, 34 inches in length and 33 ounces in weight were shipped. A second order of Model O16, consisting of one bat with the same dimensions was shipped on 6/22/49. The final order documented in the factory records for Model O16 ccurred on 7/1/54 and consisted of four bats, again with the same dimensions. The barrel labeling suggests that the bat you possess may match the 1949 shipments, although there is some difference of opinion as to exactly when the words Louisville Slugger replaced REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.under the player's signature, with Rex Bradley and others indicating that the change came in the late 1940's, and there was an overlap during that transitional period. Regardless, the Louisville Slugger barrel labeling had been completed by 1950.

Also noteworthy, is that the first mention of Model O16 bats in Ott's personal records are two orders on 7/24/47 (35 inches / 33 ounces-) and 8/1/47 (34 1/2 inches / 33 ounces). The orders seem to be crossed out, however, which would appear to indicate that they were not shipped to him. Regardless, those also post-date his playing career as he played in his last Major League game on 7/11/47.

All factory documentation for Mel Ott from 6/14/43 when he received his first order of bats with model numbers stamped on the knob show exclusive use of Model O2 and Model O23 during the final part of his playing career.

Regarding the Dom DiMaggio Model O1 bat, factory records document his first order of bats with model numbers stamped on the knob occurred on 3/18/46, and was Model O1.He ordered Model O1 bats exclusively between that date and 2/26/48. All lengths were either 34 inches or 35 inches, with weights ranging between 32 ans 34 ounces. Dom DiMaggio also received orders of Model O1 bats between mid-1950 and early (Spring Training) 1951. Without a photo of that bat, I cannot tell the labeling period. Basically, however, if the barrel label is the same as on the Ott bat, it is likely from 1946 or 1947. If the words Louisville Slugger appear under the name on the barrel, it is likely from 1950 or 1951. Most of his 1946 and 1947 bats were 35 inches in length, while all of his 1950 and 1951 bats except one were 34 inches in length.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

PGriffin
02-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Good news I guess on the bats both meet the criteria given to me, I guess the next step will be sending them for authentication. Not bad for $10 a bat when I got them a few weeks ago
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

MSpecht
02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi--

Here is some information on the Mel Ott and Dom DiMaggio bats:

A review of the Hillerich & Bradsby factory records shows that the first documented shipment of Model O16 bats sent to Mel Ott occurred on 4/29/49 when two bats, 34 inches in length and 33 ounces in weight were shipped. A second order of Model O16, consisting of one bat with the same dimensions was shipped on 6/22/49. The final order documented in the factory records for Model O16 ccurred on 7/1/54 and consisted of four bats, again with the same dimensions. The barrel labeling suggests that the bat you possess may match the 1949 shipments, although there is some difference of opinion as to exactly when the words Louisville Slugger replaced REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.under the player's signature, with Rex Bradley and others indicating that the change came in the late 1940's, and there was an overlap during that transitional period. Regardless, the Louisville Slugger barrel labeling had been completed by 1950.

Also noteworthy, is that the first mention of Model O16 bats in Ott's personal records are two orders on 7/24/47 (35 inches / 33 ounces-) and 8/1/47 (34 1/2 inches / 33 ounces). The orders seem to be crossed out, however, which would appear to indicate that they were not shipped to him. Regardless, those also post-date his playing career as he played in his last Major League game on 7/11/47.

All factory documentation for Mel Ott from 6/14/43 when he received his first order of bats with model numbers stamped on the knob show exclusive use of Model O2 and Model O23 during the final part of his playing career.

Regarding the Dom DiMaggio Model O1 bat, factory records document his first order of bats with model numbers stamped on the knob occurred on 3/18/46, and was Model O1.He ordered Model O1 bats exclusively between that date and 2/26/48. All lengths were either 34 inches or 35 inches, with weights ranging between 32 ans 34 ounces. Dom DiMaggio also received orders of Model O1 bats between mid-1950 and early (Spring Training) 1951. Without a photo of that bat, I cannot tell the labeling period. Basically, however, if the barrel label is the same as on the Ott bat, it is likely from 1946 or 1947. If the words Louisville Slugger appear under the name on the barrel, it is likely from 1950 or 1951. Most of his 1946 and 1947 bats were 35 inches in length, while all of his 1950 and 1951 bats except one were 34 inches in length.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

bosoxfan4life
02-20-2006, 04:12 PM
please email me as i would like to buy the dom bat monsterseats03@yahoo.com

staindsox
02-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Anyone out there have contact info for PGriffin? He isn't set up for personal messages.

Thanks.

Chris
staindsox at hotmail.com