PDA

View Full Version : a huge thank you to Tim Byington

DonTheLegend
02-12-2008, 01:05 PM
this may or may not be the correct place for this, however, i really want to share a "nice" hobby story. all too often we hear of negatives in the hobby.

i recently purchase a bat from Tim Byington and it just arrived.

the story (hope to keep it short) is this:

i was notified by another forum member (bigtruck) about this bat (being on EBay) and in turn i took a look at it.

i contacted the seller and asked that since it had no bids would he be interested in ending the auction early. he said yes and agreed to send pics and what have you. the list price was $90 with shipping and i told them i'd make it an even $100.

the seller did not want to do a straight PayPal transaction for whatever reason and strictly wanted to keep it through EBay. i emailed several times asking how to pay for an active item. no response.

the person i was actually dealing with, i later found out, was the seller wife.

so, to my surprise the seller had put it back up on EBay through the "buy it now" option (without contacting me in the least) and it had been soldto someone else!

i was in shock.

i get an email from Tim stating that he had seen my thread about the bat and knowing that i wanted it, he picked it up and said he's sell it to me at his cost. i was floored. i could not believe that another collector, who ive never meet or spoke with, would do something like this.

to say the least, i was very appreciative. i can not say enough about this little experience. it was great.

i have an very rare example of a player that i love to collect and its because of the foresight of a fellow collector that i have it.

thanks again Tim.

Rob L
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Awesome. Very cool story.

SkubeBats
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I just wanted say that Tim has helped me out with some real nice game used bats in the past. I think he is one of the best people here on this forum, he will go out of his way to help you out. Once again I want to say thanks Tim.
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

bigtruck260
02-12-2008, 03:32 PM
...and I am glad that you found it. I was worried for you Donny. We 90's Cards guys gotta look out for one another.

Dave

DonTheLegend
02-12-2008, 04:18 PM
...and I am glad that you found it. I was worried for you Donny. We 90's Cards guys gotta look out for one another.

Dave

thanks Dave.

the early 90's cardinals teams had some definite young talent. hell, any team with Todd Zeile has to be promising, right??

without the help of people like Dave, Tim and Jeff (Scott) my collection would not be what is today.

thanks!

...and Dave, hope to see you thins weekend>

bigtruck260
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I'll be there, and will call you about it later.:)
Dave

JETEFAN
02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Does not surprise me at all about Tim, besides having great bats for sale, his passion for the hobby and helping out fellow collectors along the way is common place!!

Thanks Tim,

George

bat_master
02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. I'm very much an "aw, shucks" type of guy when it comes to situations like this and this one is no exception.

It's nice to be appreciated, but I don't help people out for the recognition. One of the things I like the most about this hobby is helping people as George mentioned. I'm one of the lucky ones that is able to buy and sell full time, but I do not and will not consider myself a dealer. I look at myself as more of a "bat match-maker".

Because I don't work a regular job I spend a ton of time simply doing research. I get great joy out of helping people who have questions about bats they are considering, bats they own, or bats they wish they could find. To me, there's nothing better than helping a person whose unbridled passion and enthusiasm for game used bats is equal to mine.

Again, thank you all so much. It is a great privledge to work with you.