PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on McGwire gamer on ebay

mattmueller
02-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Could any members please provide their thoughts on both the seller of the jersey and the actual jersey? How comfortable should a bidder be with a MEARS cert? I was not able to find too many photos from 1992 to get a decent idea on a photo match. However, the ones I did find make it appear that the 5 in the 25 on back extends past the name plate, whereas the jersey up for bid does not. The only good look at it from Getty from the back is a road jersey, how much different would the placement be road versus home? Would it change from jersey to jersey?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-MARK-McGWIRE-GAME-USED-OAKLAND-As-JERSEY-MEARS-COA_W0QQitemZ260211471236QQihZ016QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mattmueller
02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Finally heard back from seller. I had asked for a clearer picture of the name plate and number and information on the wash tag as well as more of a history on the jersey. He indicated he was traveling and could not provide additional details/photos of the jersey prior to the end of the auction.

Vintagedeputy
02-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Whats really weird is that in the 4 pics you provided, the little c is set up high on 2 and then down low on 2......where's the consistancy?

Jim

skyking26
02-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Seller seems to have alot of McGwire stuff over time...

mattmueller
02-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Bob: Have you ever dealt with him? Are you saying a lot as in too much to be realistic, or a lot as in a lot of quality in the past.

zonker
02-15-2008, 08:32 AM
seller puchases alot of mac/favre stuff in auction's this particuler jersey. i belive was purchased from the vintage authentic's auction or heritage a few month's back. it was 1 or the other. he actually bought a 92 & 94 around the same time from these auction's. i was betting against him on both of them at the time. so check past auction cataloges and you should find out what they were saying about them in the auction cat. run a search on trsent and mcgwire. you might find a thread about him. i would do it ,but got to get to work. hope this help's.

ahuff
02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
TRSENT I believe is a member of this forum. So if you do a search, on here, you might be able to find some people who have dealt with him. I can't recall personally every having a transaction with him.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=440

DonTheLegend
02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
so are the opinions of this jersey good or bad??

im not that familiar with the seller and from ive read, people have hammered him in the past.

it has a MEARS letter. is it possble that the letter is no good?

ive always heard good things about MEARS. i also tried to find pics and couldnt come up with anything better than what is posted.

bigtruck260
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I think that A5 is the auction house minimum - but I might be mistaken.
Meaning that the jersey MIGHT have been worn by McGwire at some point.

Dave

mvandor
02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Mears letter means zip, Mears GRADE is what is indicative, and A5 is L-O-W. A LONG way from A10...

hblakewolf
02-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Could any members please provide their thoughts on both the seller of the jersey and the actual jersey? How comfortable should a bidder be with a MEARS cert? I was not able to find too many photos from 1992 to get a decent idea on a photo match. However, the ones I did find make it appear that the 5 in the 25 on back extends past the name plate, whereas the jersey up for bid does not. The only good look at it from Getty from the back is a road jersey, how much different would the placement be road versus home? Would it change from jersey to jersey?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-MARK-McGWIRE-GAME-USED-OAKLAND-As-JERSEY-MEARS-COA_W0QQitemZ260211471236QQihZ016QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Matt-

Notice that the seller has no return policy listed. I would not even consider bidding with this seller until you have a clear undestanding of this. Trying to match photos, names on back, fonts, etc. is extremely inmportant, however, what if you win this jersey, and then discover a serious flaw (i.e, nameplate change, etc.)?

If interested, I strongly suggest you email the seller and learn if he has a return policy, or are "ALL SALES FINAL".

Based on his response, you may not need to further investigate this shirt.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Mears letter means zip, Mears GRADE is what is indicative, and A5 is L-O-W. A LONG way from A10...

I have no opinion on thsi jersey, but this is misinformation. It's a post 87 jersey, and no post 87' jersey can get a higher grade than 5 without player or team or equipment manager provenance. No matter how good the wear, how pefrectly fonts matches up, etc...it can't get a higher grade so how is that considered by you to be low.....

Dave

trsent
02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, a MEARS A5 letter is the highest grade a jersey such as this one can generally receive without a letter from the team or player or someone of that nature. I copied the MEARS grading criteria at the bottom of this post.

I am sorry that I cannot take more photos before the listing ends, I am traveling this week.

As for the person assuming I bought this from Heritage or Vintage, I do not personally bid in either of these auction houses at this time. If you want to make Mitchell Report or Dowd Report style comments, please get your facts straight before making comments about my buying practices elsewhere. How could you possibly comment that I bought both a 1992 and 1994 jersey at the same time? What evidence or proof do you have? Also, where do you have any proof that I bought any McGwire or Favre stuff elsewhere, ever?
[/URL]
My return policy can be asked for anytime, I think after now over 16,000 eBay transactions, my record speaks for itself as being very positive and strong. If there is a problem, a return is welcome within reason. No seller on eBay ever has an "ALL SALES FINAL" policy, as PayPal protects the buyer. I found a return policy on my eBay sales page is not important even though eBay's marketing has determined otherwise, it is my personal policy.

As I told the forum member who emailed asking about my return policy this morning: "I am not sure why you would want to return the item since it has been verified authentic my MEARS ([URL="http://www.mearsonline.com)"]www.mearsonline.com) (http://www.mearsonline.com). Please advise your concern."

Finally, from the MEARS web site:

Post-1987 Jersey's: The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5.

A10 Manufactures characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match in tagging, lettering, numbering, size, patches or memorial bands, materials, style, buttons, zipper, etc. Each piece is also evaluated on the degree of evident use and wear, which must be consistent with that of the player, sport, position, field of play, and duration of use. No negative traits, incorrect manufacturers specifications, or use characteristics can be present to be awarded this grade. The Player, team, or event provenance was provided at the time of inspection and fully supports the attributions and player wear.

A9 Manufacturers characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match all criteria. This grade is awarded when the jersey has a minor flaw that does not warrant more than a full point deduction. No reasonable doubt can exist as to whether or not the player wore the jersey during the proposed time frame in order to receive this grade.

A6 thru A8: Manufacturers characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match all criteria. In addition, if the jersey exhibits optimal use and wear, up to 3 additional points to the base grade of A5 may be awarded for these characteristics. Since Hall of Fame players and period superstars are most susceptible to forgery, the A6 thru A8 grade is generally reserved for common players, utility players, coaches & managers.

A5 Manufactures characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match all criteria. Each piece is also evaluated on the degree of evident use and wear, which must be consistent with that of the player, sport, position, field of play, and duration of use. The degree of wear will be measured from minimal to heavy and the jersey cannot exhibit negative, missing, or incorrect manufacturers traits or use characteristics. When team or player provenance is lacking, wear can be measured, but not attributed directly to examined player. Without reasonable and verifiable provenance for post-1987 Hall of Fame or period star player jersey's, the A5 designation may still be assigned if the jersey possesses all the qualities and physical characteristics of a Major League jersey that was manufactured for player use or as an extra for a team or player, or one that may have been made available for retail sale or promotion. For jersey's assigned the A5 grade, use and wear will be described, but not verified.

A1 thru A4 These grades are rarely assigned to a post-1987 jerseys since jerseys from this time period are infrequently recycled as replacement jerseys are so readily available. See full MEARS point criteria for factors, which can lower the final grade. When points are subtraction for jerseys from this time frame, reasons will be noted and included on the "Jersey Grading and Authenticating Official Worksheet."

kingjammy24
02-15-2008, 01:00 PM
hello matt mueller

in the "Comments" section on the MEARS letter, it reads "Jersey exhibits minimal wear and has marks from [a word i can't make out] on the patches still present". can anyone make out that word? it ends in a "g".

i'm not sure what the difference is between "minimal wear" and no wear. the mears description seems to be contrary to the seller's description of "nice use". from what i can see, the tags literally couldn't be any crisper.

so matt, i suppose it all depends on what you're looking. if you're looking for a mcgwire gamer that shows good use, then the mears description of "minimal wear" would probably steer you away from this one.

if you're still interested in a mcgwire jersey with "minimal wear", then you'd probably want to see a close-up of how the nameplate is stitched onto the jersey as well as the numbers. personally, if i were you, i'd want to see close-ups of the outside, as well as close-ups of the inside with the jersey opened up.

rudy.

mvandor
02-15-2008, 01:01 PM
I have no opinion on thsi jersey, but this is misinformation. It's a post 87 jersey, and no post 87' jersey can get a higher grade than 5 without player or team or equipment manager provenance. No matter how good the wear, how pefrectly fonts matches up, etc...it can't get a higher grade so how is that considered by you to be low.....

Dave

"Post-1987 Jersey's: The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5. "

We each create our own standards as to what we feel comfortable with, however, a MEARS A5 means, as I understand it from the above:

1. No player or team documentation;
2. No verifiable provenance;
3. No corroborating player specific traits identified by MEARS.

That might be satisfactory to some, however, those are pretty big missing pieces to ye olde authentication puzzle given the high rate of fraud out there. That of course is IMHO and yours is certainly allowed to be different.

Not to say it's not a legit piece, just to say IMHO an A5 wouldn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy over it as a prospective buyer.

otismalibu
02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Joel!!!!

Did anyone have 2/15/08 in the pool?

:)

trsent
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Joel!!!!

Did anyone have 2/15/08 in the pool?

:)

I believe I should enjoy my holiday.

skyking26
02-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Bob: Have you ever dealt with him? Are you saying a lot as in too much to be realistic, or a lot as in a lot of quality in the past.
Nothing accusatory in my statement as I have never dealt with him. Give me a holler at skyking442@hotmail.com if you would.

trsent
02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Zonker, no harm, just I don't buy from Heritage or Vintage so I didn't understand your comments. As for Favre memorabilia, I have worked with Brett Favre personally in the past and his close associates in the past years.

Is your name based on the GB Trudeau character? I just started reading Doonesbury again about three months ago after a ten year layoff. Here is my favorite new cartoon:

Also, Zonker, Mr. Mueller emailed me Thursday at 5:26AM, I replied to him Thursday at 11:04AM. I like my lap top computer, it keeps me logged into my home computer and I can work while enjoying my holiday.

Remember life without the internet, cell phones and GPS?

RobSteinmetz
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Howard and Joel,

I've removed all personal insults and comments from this thread. Let's let the past stay in the past. If you two can't comment in the same thread without it resulting in personal attacks, find another forum in which to participate. I don't have the time or energy to babysit this ongoing dispute. It's very simple...if either of you refuse to comply, you'll be permanantly banned. I don't want any emails, phone calls, or follow-ups to this post. These are the rules...follow them or leave.

Thanks,

Rob

David
02-15-2008, 07:16 PM
For a modern jersey, an A-5 basically means the jersey itself matches what a gamer jersey would look like, but is missing good provenance to tie it to the player or team. If you have a team, player or equipment manager provenance/LOA, the letter can change a A-5 to an A-10. So for a modern jersey with no team/player/mlb provenance, an A-5 would be saying that there's nothing amiss with the jersey itself.

whatupyos
02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm from the Bay Area. I know the A's sell game used jersey's at Fan Fest. I don't know for sure exactly when that began but I know they have been doing it for a while. I'd only touch a MAC jersey with a team LOA. Too many suspicious ones out there to risk it. Like Rudy said, the tags sure look crisp and so do the numbers.