PDA

View Full Version : Different Methods of Applying Numbers to Jerseys?

commando
02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I am curious to know the different ways to apply numbers to jerseys, and what the numbers are made of. For a long time, I just said a number was either "sewn-on" or "screened-on." But as other threads have pointed out, there seems to be different versions of "screened-on" numbers.

One case in point would be Houston Gamblers jerseys, which were manufactured by Russell during the team's two-year existence in 1984-85. The numbers and names were "screened-on" the jerseys, but both were made from a rubbery, sticky material. Probably the easiest way to spot a Jim Kelly Gamblers fake is to touch the numbers and feel for the sticky quality, which should still remain today.

Generally speaking, the majority of jerseys I have seen with "screened-on" numbers have numbers that are hard and prone to cracking if screened lightly onto the jersey. Even ones with thicker screening still have that "hard" quality when touching them, which is plain as day when compared side by side with a Gamblers jersey.

Any ideas?

otismalibu
02-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Many people seem to refer to heat pressed and screened numbers as the same thing...because neither is sewn on like the twill letters/numbers.

From what I've seen, screened numbers are basically painted on and heat pressed numbers are just that...a rubbery type material that is melted to the jersey.

I have over 8000 photos in my How To Apply Numbers photo archive, but I can't show them to anyone.

saintsfan
02-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Even the tackle twill numbers of today are first ironed on before they are sewn.

Tom