Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottanservitz
    • Nov 2005

Jersey protection?

I was wondering how members protect their game worn jerseys? If you display them on mannequins, do you rotate or put them away after so long? My wife says to not put plastic over them such as the dry cleaners covers. I am just throwing it out there to see how you guys think? By the way, I realize framing with UV glass is an option, but I prefer my jerseys not framed.
    Scott
  • b.heagy
    • May 2006

Re: Jersey protection?

just curious about the dry cleaner bags. why not store them in those? Very curious as I have many of mine stored this way.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Comment

• TFig27
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scottanservitz
      My wife says to not put plastic over them such as the dry cleaners covers.
      Scott
      Why does she say this?
      sigpic
      TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
      A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
      J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Comment

• mvandor
        Banned
        • Apr 2007

To protect from fading of colors and signatures, if any, I don't see how you can avoid placing any collectible in UV protected cases of some sort.

Comment

• scottanservitz
          • Nov 2005

I really don't know why she says this, but everytime I say I am going to get some dry cleaning bags she says not to. I am guessing because of mold and or moisture being held in the bags over long periods of time. I will ask when she gets home. Until then, any other suggestions? I want to enjoy them and not put them in a box and not get to look at them.
          Scott

Comment

• scottanservitz
            • Nov 2005

Ok, my wife just returned. I asked her about the plastic bags from the dry cleaners and she told me she read somewhere that you are supposed to remove your garments from those and put into cloth garment bags. They do make the plastic garment bags, but supposedly cloth is better. This is all about the breathing of the material and not holding in moisture she assumed. Not very scientific evidence, but it makes sense.
            Scott

Comment

• TFig27
              • Oct 2006

So keep the jersey on the mannequin and place the plastic bag over it, leaving the bottom open, so air can get in/out. That's what I do.
              sigpic
              TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
              A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
              J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Comment

• otismalibu
                • Nov 2005

I don't know about jerseys, but I had a fancy shmancy leather jacket in the closet, inside a plastic bag and it was almost like the adhesive started to liquify and run, where second layers of leather were sewn on. That was the last time I put anything in a plastic bag.

I've got some game jerseys and some M&N and I just display them in the open. Actually just ordered one of those mannequins. If I can't display it, I see no point in owning it.
                Greg
                DrJStuff.com

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TFig27
                  So keep the jersey on the mannequin and place the plastic bag over it, leaving the bottom open, so air can get in/out. That's what I do.

Same here, never had a problem. My one jersey has been in this plastic since 1986.

Comment

• scottanservitz
                    • Nov 2005

Tom,
                    I would think that would be ok. I was looking to do the same. Obviously it would take quite a bit of moisture over a prolonged period of time to have mold/mildew start to set in. I would think a dehumidifier run periodically would help too. But in a nutshell, we need to see our jerseys to appreciate them!
                    Scott

Comment

• PK
                      • Feb 2006

Don't really see the benefit of covering a jersey in plastic, these jerseys go through way more when the team has them then you do hanging them on your wall or in your closet.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems pointless to cover them in plastic. What are you protecting them from, dust?

Comment

• Jays1fan

Originally posted by TFig27
                        That is what I have done too.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by PK
                          Don't really see the benefit of covering a jersey in plastic, these jerseys go through way more when the team has them then you do hanging them on your wall or in your closet.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems pointless to cover them in plastic. What are you protecting them from, dust?

dust, kids walking by tripping and watching juice fly across the room onto a wall...... you name it

Comment

• bigtime59
                            • Nov 2005

Now that I have the case finished, three are there on display, while the rest reside in what I like to call the "jersey jail". The jail has a window air conditioner set into one wall, and a dehumidifier. (I didn't heat the jail, simply because it was impractical to do so when we modified the space. I sometimes wonder if that was such a good decision.) Jerseys in the case are going to be rotated at least monthly.
                            A friend of mine mentiioned a source for UV blocking film which I am going to apply to the windows in my home office (location of the case). Until then, the blinds stay drawn.
                            Mark
                            bigtime39@aol.com
                            Attached Files
                            Mark
                            msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• ndevlin22
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2008

Hey, lets not forget moths!!

Comment