PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Jose Guillen game worn signed belt...Did I bid too high?...

kylehess10
02-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Let me know what you think of the price. Did I bid too much? I asked the seller how long he may have used it for and he told me that Guillen wore it during the second half of the season last year and that he wore only 2 belts during the second half! None of that was stated in the auction so that's why I bid high. LMK what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8764515082&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Yankwood
02-17-2006, 05:17 PM
It all depends. Does it fit you?

trsent
02-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Let's see:

1 Belt, Leather, Used about 35 times - $32.00
1 Autograph, Major League Baseball Player, Head Case, Wasted Potential - $20.00
1 Piece of Major League Baseball History - Priceless

For everything else there's MasterCard.

Spiezio23
02-17-2006, 07:04 PM
If it's a player you like, you did well I think.

I myself haven't seen many belts at all for sale, though I guess it can be tough to identify them if they're not labeled somehow by the player. I'd have paid that price for a player I collect.

Good pickup

stlbats
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
if you like Guillen, I think you did very well. It has photo evidence, and $52 for anything game used especially with some proof is a good buy in my opinion.

Jason

kingjammy24
02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm admittedly confused regarding a few recent posts about what certain things are "worth", how much should one pay for something, what's worth more, did someone bid too much, etc.

Nothing in this hobby has any sort of regulated, universal, or inherant value. These aren't Fruit of the Loom tshirts here. It's not like you can get the exact same item from 100 different sellers.

If you could've gotten the Guillen belt from someplace else for cheaper, then yes you paid too much. If you didn't see a cheaper one elsewhere, and you can afford the amount you paid, then you didn't pay too much. You wanted a Jose Guillen belt and you got one. Mission accomplished.

There's only one person who can tell you if you bid too much and that's you. Someone who loves Jose Guillen would pay $100. Someone who hates him would pay 10 cents. The final price just depends which one of those 2 is going to show up at the auction that day. If someone paid more than you, it doesn't mean it was "worth" more than you thought. It just means they wanted it more than you. The selling price is not related to what an item is "worth"; it's related to how much the buyer wanted it.

Ignore the rabid dealers and sellers proclaiming that this jersey is "worth over $4000!" or that jersey "has unlimited investment potential!". They're just trying to pay the bills. Like a hawker at a carnival, yelling out all sorts of hyperbole to get people in the tent, so he can make enough money to support himself.

Buy the item you like. Pay what you can afford. Be happy you got it.
If you're treating these things as long-term financial investments, then good luck.

Rudy.

allstarsplus
02-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Joel - While Jose's issues in the past have hurt his reputation, he has been a great addition as a player and "person" in Washington DC. Jose has been the first to volunteer for visits to hospitals and visit sick kids. He went several times on his own to Walter Reed Army Hospital to visit hospitalized servicemen injured in Iraq.

I try to look for the best in people and think they can change. In Jose's case I think he has and by the looks of his memorabilia sales, his fan base is also coming back!

Andrew ;)

Swoboda4
02-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Unless your collecting many items from one player,why a belt?

kylehess10
02-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Unless your collecting many items from one player,why a belt?

Because I like interesting things like that. The same company that I bought from also has game used shin guards,game used knee pads,game used thigh pads,etc.

sfgiants452
02-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Kyle is right. You collect what you like. I personally like to collect other things rather than the tradition jersey or bat. Even though I do have many of those. I like cleats, shin guards, helmets, wristband, etc.

kylehess10
02-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah, exactly what sfgiants452 said.

Swoboda4
02-18-2006, 08:06 PM
How about shoe laces? It's in the belt family. Just kidding. I do remember some pitcher's belt being auctioned off a while ago with a sharpened belt buckle which explained his above average pitch variety. Sorry about being closed minded.

kylehess10
02-18-2006, 08:12 PM
All you have to do is just buy a pair of game worn cleats and the laces come free! lol

trsent
02-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Ok, here will be a good test to see the value of your belt.

Darren Daulton is auctioning off two of his game used, autographed belts at the end of the month. Here are the links so you can follow their progress:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52982&item=6601733740

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52982&item=6601733745

chipper10
02-23-2006, 06:41 PM
I got the belt today and I think it's well worth the money I spent. The autograph is so perfect plus there is so much use in it and there's tons of left-over dirt on it.

allstarsplus
02-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Congrats on the belt. We bought all of Jose's HR bats for 2005 and his only "away" cap and his first glove and jersey and they were all amazing too. Jose wrote great inscriptions on each item.

Most people say that Minor League players are great signers, but I would have to say that every Nationals player has been great signers and as approachable as any Minor League player. I am sure this will get some jokes that they play like Minor Leaguers too (lol). It has been a joy seeing these guys coming from Montreal with really no egos. They appreciate now playing in front of over 30,000 each game in Washington.

Andrew
info@AllstarsPlus.com