PDA

View Full Version : Are pitcher's bats rare?

brianborsch
02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello all,

I just wanted to tap into your heads to get some input on pitchers bats. Because a pitcher rarely hits, are their bats harder to find? I mean take (for example) an NL pitcher who gets moved to the AL. He may never see an at-bat for the whole season. He may never order a bat for himself. Would that make pitchers bats a better buy than a position player?

stlbats
02-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I think some pitchers bats are more rare than postion players. Some pitchers though seem to have a lot of bats out there. For example Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, I have seen several Mariano Riveras. It seems to me that most bullpen guys bat are more rare than starters (which makes sense). As far as more valuable, I dont see that they bring much more if any than postion players.

thanks
Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

2000mvpfan
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
.... I'd say those pitcher bats are definitely harder to find.Case in point,I was working on getting 1 game used bat for each Phillie who started the 1st game my older daughter ever went to.The hold up?Jon Lieber,who was still tough to find despite a mostly NL career.
....Now I'm attempting the same project for my younger daughter's first game.The starting pitcher?Jamie Moyer.I've seen one Moyer bat the last year,and it was an early Cubs model.I know he was mostly an AL guy,but should've still had some post season Mariners bats you'd think would've seen light of day.Anyway,here's hoping the Phils make some available at CBP this season.

suave1477
02-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I think some pitchers bats are more rare than postion players. Some pitchers though seem to have a lot of bats out there. For example Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, I have seen several Mariano Riveras. It seems to me that most bullpen guys bat are more rare than starters (which makes sense). As far as more valuable, I dont see that they bring much more if any than postion players.

thanks
Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

I personally specially collect pitchers bats especially AL due to the fact of rarity so I amy be some help here.

Pitchers bats are normally harder to find including NL because they do not order/use as many as position players.

NL Pitchers you will find more of because they for obvious reasons get more at bats. But they are still more rare than a postion player because they don't get up to bat as much as a position player.

AL league pitchers are the hardest since they hardly ever get an at bat unless its an interleague game.

The hardest of both is relief pitchers due to they even have the least likely chance of ever getting up to bat especially in the AL because by the time its the relief pitchers turn they usually sub in a pinch hitter for him.

Mariano Used bats stay away from, I only say this from the knowledge given to me of a direct source of the Yankees - Mariano only had one regular season at bat in his whole career and he used a Jeter bat not even his own bat.

I own to the best of my knowledge the only Used Mariano bat and it was used by Enrique Wilson.

I also own Jon Leiber's to the best of my knowledge only game used bat from the Yankees - he had only 1 at bat with them. I bought the bat shortly after the game.

Also remember Pitchers bats are 50/50 which makes them more rare, What I mean is that pitchers half the time don't order bats and will use another players bat on the team. So half the pitchers don't even have there own bat.

I also own a Yankees Game Used David Wells bat (Ricky Ledee Model)

Hope this helps!!!:rolleyes:

woodbat
02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
From my bat collecting experience, pitchers bats are hard enough to find, but a relief pitcher's bat is just plain difficult to obtain. Then the problem is compounded, if you only collect one team as I do. I sometimes wonder if some relief pitchers just use a team model bat?? To the Jamie Moyer collector, I happen to have one of his Cardinal bats from his 1991 year with St Louis. He only appeared in eight games, with eight AB's and no hits. How many Cardinal bats did he have, couldn't be many?? I have never seen another one and have had this one since 1997. So here is an example of collecting a bat from a relief pitcher that played with a particular team for one year with the above stats....Not an easy find............

Don
woodbat@bellsouth.net

Vintagedeputy
02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
I only have one pitcher's bat, a 77-79 LVS Tom Underwood.

From the records I've obtained, he only ordered 12 of these total. I guess that makes them fairly rare, since he played for the Phils and Cards in that time period and then moved onto the AL.

Jim

chakes89
02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Here are pics of my only pitchers bat:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/chakes89/Game%20Used%20Items/IMG_1208.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/chakes89/Game%20Used%20Items/IMG_1210.jpg

metsbats
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't think pitchers (starters or relievers) have a shortage of bats made for them these days. Check out this photo from 2007 as the equipment is loaded into the trucks for transport to spring training from Shea. No. 48 is Mets reliever Aaron Heilman and No. 29 is Mets reliever Jorge Sosa.

I think considering the number of ABs the relievers get you will have hard time finding a gamer of a relief pitcher with legit game use.

You most likely find more bats from a starting pitchers with use.

Now bear in mind I'm referring the present (last few years or so)

Finding pitchers bats from the 70s, 80s will be more difficult to find.

It took me 14 years to find a Randy Neimann and Rick Anderson game used bat from the 80s. I personally believe I have the only two out there.

David

TFig27
02-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't think pitchers (starters or relievers) have a shortage of bats made for them these days. Check out this photo from 2007 as the equipment is loaded into the trucks for transport to spring training from Shea. No. 48 is Mets reliever Aaron Heilman and No. 29 is Mets reliever Jorge Sosa.

I think considering the number of ABs the relievers get you will have hard time finding a gamer of a relief pitcher with legit game use.

It took me 14 years to find a Randy Neimann and Rick Anderson game used bat from the 80s. I personally believe I have the only two out there.

David

How rare is a Mr. Met bat?

metsbats
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
How rare is a Mr. Met bat?

I'd have to say rarer than a pitcher's bat:D

Vintagedeputy
02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd have to say rarer than a pitcher's bat:D

Looks to be even more rare than that....Mr Met is a pitcher!

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/photo/photogallery/mrmet/02.jpg

suave1477
02-17-2008, 10:46 PM

David

metbats but you have to also remember many factors with the bats you pointed out it may seem like a lot but if you think about it, it's really not, take for instance #48, there is about 19 bats I counted there, Lets say half will go to be used for Batting Practice and lets say half of each will be broken that will leave you with about 9 to 10 bats half of which are from Practice. Don't forget some I am sure will be given away to someone, and the half of what's left may end up Game Issued. Now your down to about 2- 4 bats of actual Game Use that might hit the market. That's not a lot when you think about it.

Spiezio23
02-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Moyer bats are out there but as you've seen, are tough to find. I've only seen the one Mariners one my g/f bought. She's got a pretty good grip on it and for now she's not up to parting with it.

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/EmeraldRain34/Seattle%20Mariners%20PC/Bats/Moyer1.jpg

I am still searching for a Freddy Garcia bat.. no luck of even seeing a picture of one.

metsbats
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
metbats but you have to also remember many factors with the bats you pointed out it may seem like a lot but if you think about it, it's really not, take for instance #48, there is about 19 bats I counted there, Lets say half will go to be used for Batting Practice and lets say half of each will be broken that will leave you with about 9 to 10 bats half of which are from Practice. Don't forget some I am sure will be given away to someone, and the half of what's left may end up Game Issued. Now your down to about 2- 4 bats of actual Game Use that might hit the market. That's not a lot when you think about it.

Exactly my point when I said it will be hard to find one with legit game use.

If you compare the number of bats a position player is issued per year 150+ verses a pitcher then the pitchers bats is rarer.

If you compare the number of bats issued to pitchers these days compared with the number of bats issues to pitchers during the 70's and 80's the chance of finding a pitchers bats from the 70's or 80's is more difficult.

AstrosCollector
02-17-2008, 11:16 PM
As an Astros only collector, pitchers bats are much harder to find than position player bats!

camarokids
02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Moyer bats are out there but as you've seen, are tough to find. I've only seen the one Mariners one my g/f bought. She's got a pretty good grip on it and for now she's not up to parting with it.

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/EmeraldRain34/Seattle%20Mariners%20PC/Bats/Moyer1.jpg

I am still searching for a Freddy Garcia bat.. no luck of even seeing a picture of one.

I remember California Sports Investments had a Freddy Garcia Pirates bat for sale about 2 years ago or so .....

camarokids
02-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I have only come across two Devil Rays Pitchers bats, with their names branded into the bat, in my time of collecting . A Jorge Sosa and Seth McClung , I was able to snag both of them .

Spiezio23
02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I remember California Sports Investments had a Freddy Garcia Pirates bat for sale about 2 years ago or so .....

That would have been the utility player Freddy Adrian Garcia and not the pitcher Fredy Antonio Garcia. I think I remember seeing that same one listed.

godwulf
02-18-2008, 07:18 PM
One thing I've tried to do is collect a bat from each roster member of the 1998 Arizona Diamondbacks, used during that year.

Of all the guys who had at least one pitching appearance with the DBacks that year, I've found fewer than half - 12 of 25 - and, of the 13 I'm missing, there are only a few any of whose bats I've been able to find, even from other teams.

On the other hand, I've found and collected 18 of the 21 position players' bats, more than one in several cases. Still looking for '98 DBacks bats for Jorge Fabregas, Edwin Diaz and Bernard Gilkey.

My 2001 team collection efforts have met with comparable results.

GrndSlm
02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I also believe that the pitchers bats are rare and that the relievers bats are even more difficult. Alot of the relievers bats have BP use and not really legitimate game use. But all in all they are still extremely rare.

I have two really scares Randy Johnson bats in my collection. The first one is a rawlings stamped 2001 WS on the knob and has a slight handle crack. The other is a brown SAM bat that he took the logo off. This bat was used in Florida and I obtained it the night he struck out his 3000 batter so I know he used it that night.

GrndSlm@aol.com
Juan Iglesias

godwulf
02-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Alot of the relievers bats have BP use and not really legitimate game use.

I drew a good laugh from Jose Valverde, then the Diamondbacks closer, at Fan Fest last year. I had him sign one of his bats, which had a ton of ball marks, obviously well used (by someone...doing something), and said to him, "It looks like you got a lot of hits with this one." Cracked him up.

I have two really scares Randy Johnson bats in my collection. The first one is a rawlings stamped 2001 WS on the knob and has a slight handle crack.

Yeah, I've got one of those, too. Take my advice: if you're ever in a position to get RJ to sign it, tape off every square inch of the bat you don't want him to sign, put the Sharpie you want him to use in his hand, and, whatever you do, don't ask him any questions about it. (Refer to my contribution to the 'Worst Experience You Ever Had With an Athlete' thread.)

The other is a brown SAM bat that he took the logo off. This bat was used in Florida and I obtained it the night he struck out his 3000 batter so I know he used it that night.

September 10, 2000 - Randy's 37th birthday - and Mike Lowell was the victim. Almost as cool as the way RJ celebrated his 41st - by drilling Barry Bonds with a fast ball at Chase Field; I was there for that one.

Please let me know if you ever decide to divest yourself of that Sam bat.
godwulf1@cox.net

mdube16
02-21-2008, 07:54 PM
One thing I've tried to do is collect a bat from each roster member of the 1998 Arizona Diamondbacks, used during that year.

On the other hand, I've found and collected 18 of the 21 position players' bats, more than one in several cases. Still looking for '98 DBacks bats for Jorge Fabregas, Edwin Diaz and Bernard Gilkey.

Godwulf...email me. I have a 98 Dbacks Fabregas gamer I would be willing to trade.
mdube16@bellsouth.net