PDA

View Full Version : Who of these are HOF'ers

ndevlin22
02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
So I was going through some bats/autographs and came across some names that made me wonder if some of these players will make the HOF. So, the names I came across are as followed. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks guys!

Sammy Sosa- Has the numbers, but maybe has steriod issue as well.

Gary Sheffield

Chipper Jones

Roberto Alomar

Larry Walker (will be hurt by Coors Field factor)

Bernie Williams

Edgar Martinez

Dale Murphy

Andre Dawson

Tim Raines

Jeff Kent

Rafael Palmeiro (I think I know the answer, but still intersted)

Omar Vizquel ( long, nice career, but probably not a chance)

AWA85
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
If I had a vote I would go for Sheffield, Jones, E. Martinez.... and maybe a few years down the road Sosa. Thats just me though.

2000mvpfan
02-17-2008, 06:22 PM
...I dunno,if Sosa gets in eventually,Raffy will have to also-3,000 hits/500 HRs you can't keep him out if the rest of the steroid era group eventually gets in.
...and don't forget,Sheff'll have the 500 HR's but he's also affected by the steroid issue.

suave1477
02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I will go with Sheff on this one.

PudgePollyMillerFan
02-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I would have to go with Sheffield as he makes it to 500 this season and also Raines and Dawson and Murphy...always liked those guys.

2000mvpfan
02-17-2008, 07:41 PM
...I think if you start talking about letting Murphy,Dawson & Raines in,you have to start letting in the guys like Rice & Mattingly and that tier of player whose votes for getting in are dwindling each year.Hometown favorites yes,nice guys,yes..Hall worthy?Apparently not.

...I do think Martinez'll get in,but it'll be awhile because of the DH thing.Look how long it's taken for the closers to finally get their due in Cooperstown.

AROD313
02-17-2008, 11:17 PM
I would have to go Chipper Jones and Andre Dawson. Why Andre Dawson is not already in is beyond me there is no reason why he should not be in the Hall of Fame. He was a class act on and off the field!!!! I don't care if Palmeiro has 600 HRS and 6000 hits. You can't sit there in front of congress and shake your finger and Say "I have never staken steriods period!" and then a few months later get popped for steriods he's a bum and and a complete idiot.

Birdbats
02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree on Dawson. Statistics aside, I tend to evaluate players in terms of a "pucker factor." When the Cards played the Cubs, the one player you didn't want to see at the plate with the game on the line was Dawson. As great as Sandberg was, I don't think anyone feared seeing him with a bat in his hands (except maybe Bruce Sutter). Dawson was the guy that made your butt pucker when he stepped into the batter's box. He'd get my HOF vote before Sandberg or anyone on the list in the first post.

Larry Walker is another guy you didn't want to face, whether he was in Coors or not. An MVP, three batting titles (and a 2nd place in '97 with a .366 average), good power and seven gold gloves deserves serious consideration.

Same goes for pitchers. If you saw him on the mound and figured your team was finished, he's a Hall candidate (see Gossage, Sutter, Seaver, Gibson, etc.). Did you shudder when you saw Blyleven on the hill? Me neither.

I also favor guys that filled ballparks when they visited other cities. I'm not sure how many people buy tickets just so they can see Chipper or Sheff in person (none that I know personally), or went to games just to see Murphy or even Dawson. Never heard anyone shout, "Edgar Martinez is in town -- let's go!" Don't know if there's a player on the list that had a noticeable impact on ticket sales, except Sosa for a while. If Maddux is pitching, I'm there. If Griffey's in town, I want to see him. But, if Kent or Vizquel are visiting, whatever. Great players, without question, but not Hall of Famers in my book.

OaklandAsFan
02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Dawson should be in, Raines should have gotten more votes than he did this year but to be in is debatable.

Otherwise I would say that if the voters are going to do something about this "steroid era" then nobody else on that list has a shot IMHO.

ndevlin22
02-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Im a bit surprised to not see Roberto Alomar on anyones list. He did infact make 12 All-Star appearances, win 10 gold gloves, batted over .300 9 times, stole 30 or more bases eight times, and won 4 Silver Slugger Awards.

Dont get me wrong, I love Dawson, Mattingly, and Raines. But Alomar did make more All Star appearances than Dawson, Raines and Mattingly, more Gold Gloves than Dawson, Mattingly, and Raines, and more Silver Sluggers than Mattingly and Raines.

Ryne Sandberg is a class act and in the HOF. But, Alomar does have more All-Star appearances and Gold Gloves than Sandberg. Sandberg's career batting avg. is less than Alomars--.285 to .300. Sandberg also has less hits than Alomar--2386 to 2724.

Mattingly, Sandberg and Dawson were class acts, but if we were to talk just about numbers, we have to throw Alomar in the mix.

suave1477
02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Ndevlin I think thats due to the fact that the Hall of fame is a popularity contest. So you have to bear in mind also who are bigger fan favorites. You lose some luster when you play on so many different teams

Alomar
Padres
Toronto
Orioles
Indians
Mets
White Sox
Arizona

ndevlin22
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Thats sad, but true. Alomar has the numbers, but I wouldnt be surprised either if they dont elect him. I also feel Raines playing in Montreal really hurt him as a candidate as well,(not as many to see him play here I suppose), which is a shame.