PDA

View Full Version : 1994 NY Jets Marvin Jones game worn throwback jersey

nyjetsfan14
02-19-2008, 09:48 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-NY-Jets-Marvin-Jones-game-worn-throwback-jersey_W0QQitemZ180217065093QQihZ008QQcategoryZ868 29QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am starting this thread to answer questions about this jersey.

nyjetsfan14
02-22-2008, 10:12 AM
You guys are letting me off entirely too easy on this one

scottanservitz
02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Jetsfan,
I will tell you this, I don't know about that particular jersey. But I noticed the Rainbow LOA. I bought an early 80's Eric Dickerson SMU game worn jersey from one of their auctions in the early 90's. The jersey was very nice and I have since sold it. I made a very nice return on it, but it is one of those pieces you kind of wish you held onto after the fact. Just interesting because I have seen very few of their letters still floating around.
Scott

nyjetsfan14
02-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Jetsfan,
I will tell you this, I don't know about that particular jersey. But I noticed the Rainbow LOA. I bought an early 80's Eric Dickerson SMU game worn jersey from one of their auctions in the early 90's. The jersey was very nice and I have since sold it. I made a very nice return on it, but it is one of those pieces you kind of wish you held onto after the fact. Just interesting because I have seen very few of their letters still floating around.
Scott

Hey there Scott, thanks for the reply. Yes, those were different days back then when the hobby wasn't totally dominated by the mega auction companies. Rainbow dealt with a lot of early/mid Jets jerseys and I have a couple in my collection from them. Your Dickerson piece must have been a beaut and I understand about the sellers remorse, been there done that a couple times. The 1994 Marvin Jones one game throwback is extremely tough to part with but hopefully it goes to a true vintage NFL fan who appreciates how rare this one is. Have a great weekend Scott. GO JETS!

lund6771
02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Scott...I know the source where Rainbow was getting their Jets stuff back then and it's iron clad...the guy gave me a tour of their practice facility by Hofstra and he knew all players, coaches, and office people...he traded them electronics and appliances for all sorts of Jets items

can't remember how I got hooked up with him, and it's been many years since we've spoken...but he was a great source

scottanservitz
02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Lund and Jetsfan,
This is a perfect example where most collectors will see a Rainbow LOA and walk away without doing a little research possibly missing the boat on a great piece. I agree that they had some quality items in their auctions and in hindsight wished I got more of it. Good luck on the Jets jersey as it is hard to let some things go. Just look at it as a precursor to better things to come.
Scott

nyjetsfan14
02-24-2008, 10:50 PM
It's a tough one to let go for sure Scott and as it looks right now somebody is going to get a real steal.

scottanservitz
02-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Jetsfan,
Couple hours to go. Hopefully that baby will go at the end. Good luck!
Scott

nyjetsfan14
02-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I think I pay (literally) for my disdain towards auction houses. This is a good example as I believe this jersey would have commanded a better price in a major auction house. They could have crayoned up a nice Lampson LOA for it and charged a buyer a cool 20% buyers fee. I lost on this jersey but it I don't consider it a sale so much as I do a trade as I was looking to recoup funds for a sweet early 80's Jets piece I scored recently so all is good. Hopefully the winner was a Jets fan but either way he got a fair deal and a sweet jeresey. I was contemplating listing a green 1994 Jets throwback on e-Bay but I think that plan is out the window lol.

gridman80
02-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Scott...I know the source where Rainbow was getting their Jets stuff back then and it's iron clad...the guy gave me a tour of their practice facility by Hofstra and he knew all players, coaches, and office people...he traded them electronics and appliances for all sorts of Jets items

can't remember how I got hooked up with him, and it's been many years since we've spoken...but he was a great source

I bought a fair amount from 'Mike' at Rainbow....I used to visit him 3 or 4 times a year and bought everything from Al Toon GU gloves to a Mickey Shuler jersey to a 1992 Freeman McNeil jersey..He would also feed stuff to GFC 'Mike' was a rock musician and a dope dealer in his younger days, but had good jets stuff..he disappeared from the scene many years ago What did you score back in the day?

gridman80
02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I think I pay (literally) for my disdain towards auction houses. This is a good example as I believe this jersey would have commanded a better price in a major auction house. They could have crayoned up a nice Lampson LOA for it and charged a buyer a cool 20% buyers fee. I lost on this jersey but it I don't consider it a sale so much as I do a trade as I was looking to recoup funds for a sweet early 80's Jets piece I scored recently so all is good. Hopefully the winner was a Jets fan but either way he got a fair deal and a sweet jeresey. I was contemplating listing a green 1994 Jets throwback on e-Bay but I think that plan is out the window lol.

Hey matt, your selling price wasn't that bad...I only got $250 for a Kyle Clifton white throwback with 2 repairs I ebay'd about a year ago and shade tree Marvin wasn't half the jet Clifton was....Not sure you would have done that much better in an auction as many collector's view TB's as specialty items similar to Pro-Bowl shirts...Unless of course you are a jets fanatic ands we are a rare deviant species.....what 80's piece did u score?.

nyjetsfan14
02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
and shade tree Marvin wasn't half the jet Clifton was

I know you are not a Shadetree fan JM but I think you're selling Jones way short. The numbers between him and Clifton are very similar with Marvin having 1200 + career tackles (a little shy of Clifton's 1450+) but Marvin had twice as many sacks. They both played 10+ season with only the Jets. And remember Marvin missed an entire season due to that freak accident in training camp. Both were great Jets LB's and put up impressive numbers...too bad neither experienced a tremendous amount of team success.