PDA

View Full Version : What's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction?

kingjammy24
02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
what's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction? i mean it in a purely subjective sense. ie: it was the greatest to you personally. i don't intend for this to be a discussion of the highest dollar item ever or objectively the rarest. post pics if possible!

for me, it's hard to decide but the one that keeps coming up is a 1993 World Series game-used Rickey Henderson jersey with custom-hemmed front tail. i'll post pics of it later tonight.

i look forward to seeing others "greatest items ever".

rudy.

eGameUsed
02-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Rudy,

Here is a recent item I was very interested in. I knew it would go high, but dropped out of the bidding once it crossed the 5 figure mark. This is most "complete" 1962 Colt .45s Home "Smoking Pistol" Flannel I have ever seen. Just sold at AMI for $17,915 + BP.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=40824

I even saw this jersey right before Christmas at the Finger's Furniture Store display in Houston, right on top of the site of the old Buff Stadium. As a side note, if ever in Houston, go to the Fingers on I-45 South near the University of Houston, just south of downtown and Minute Maid Park. They have on display some of the most historic game used Houston Sports items around.

Thanks,

otismalibu
02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
The first one was Bernie Parent's 2 logo mask from the 73-74 season...when the Flyers won their first cup. As a kid, I worshiped Bernie and the Flyers. Any old school superstar fiberglass mask would rank as amazing in my books, but this one is at the top for me. I'd love to know who has his 3 logo mask he wore the following year when they repeated.

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=19&lot_num=1009&lot_qual=

And as an Erving fan, the ABA NY Nets jersey that GFC sold was the oldest Dr. J. jersey I've ever seen for sale/auctioned. I guess only a Squires jersey could top that.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2368153

RobSteinmetz
02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
For me, it would have to be the trophy given to Ernie Banks when he hit his 500th home run, or maybe his personal Hall of Fame plaque. Both items were sold about 15 years ago at the National Convention auction, along with a treasure trove of other Banks personal momentos. I was just starting college at the time, and couldn't afford a thing. The trophy is now in the collection of Ron Leff, and is featured in the Smithsonian Baseball book. A guy can dream...

5kRunner
02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Being an Andre Dawson fan I would have loved to have a shot at this Silver Slugger Award. Even thought its from 1980 when he played for the Expos. Too bad it was WAY out of my league.

http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctions/LotDetail.cfm?Lot_ID=14529

bigtruck260
02-19-2008, 05:52 PM
1927/28 Jim Bottomley jersey - bidding ended around $40,000 at Robert Edward. If I had $40 grand, I would have blown the whole load.

RKGIBSON
02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Grey Flannel had a Jim Brown jersey in the late 90's. I wish I could own a real Jim Brown Helmet or jersey.

Roger

RKGIBSON
02-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Baseball, Grey flannel had a great Ken Boyer jersey several years back.

Roger

jwasserman
02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
id have love to have owned this for my gooden collection. no idea why he parted with it
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2006/913.html
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/images_items/Item_4488_1.jpg

DRILLINDK
02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
The itemS I've been waiting to see, is memorabilia from a CUBS WS Victory. I would be delighted to get ahold of something from this memorable event. According to Ryan Dempster, I won't have to wait too long!

gameused
02-19-2008, 08:53 PM
1951 Jackie Robinson Brooklyn Dodgers Game-Used Home Flannel Jersey

From the man who broke the color barrier, anyone would love to have this in their collection.

Final auction price with premium: $341,779.20
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=16606

B1SON
02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I just bought this ring. It was offered to me for $1,000 about a year ago and I finally got up the balls to buy it. It's 40 oz of 10k gold and I absolutely love it!

karamaxjoe
02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
In 1998 Mastro auctioned a 1917 World Series White Sox jersey of Eddie Cicotte. How often do you get a shot at one of the infamous eight or even a World Series jersey from that era? Oh and by the way, it sold for 46 K. It's probably a six figure jersey today. I wonder who has it?

Mike

scottanservitz
02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I have to go with Roger on this one, a Jim Brown game used jersey. I was actually looking at one at a Strongsville, Ohio collectables show. It was nicely folded in a showcase just sitting there begging to go home with me. I was just a tad short on cash! I still get weak in the knees even today 9 or ten years later.

On a baseball note, it has to be a Larry Doby or Bob Feller game used jersey. Being a Cleveland fan from birth, those would be just a privilege to have in my collection.

Scott

G1X
02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
A Pete Maravich game-worn jersey from his college days at LSU that was in a Grey Flannel Auction a few years ago. They had it on display at The National before the auction, and I stood inches away admiring it for several minutes knowing that this would be as close as I would ever get to it.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

kingjammy24
02-20-2008, 01:19 AM
for me, it's hard to decide but the one that keeps coming up is a 1993 World Series game-used Rickey Henderson jersey with custom-hemmed front tail. i'll post pics of it later tonight.

rudy.

here it is. i think the front tail hem is very cool:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5473/sillyhe6.jpg

interesting items so far. none under 4 figures. am curious to see if any contemporary or inexpensive items will be on this list. it seems like if you've got $40k+ to spend on an item, the world's your oyster.

rudy.

godwulf
02-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I actually had a deal made once with a Seller who supposedly had a 2001 World Series worn Matt Williams home jersey, which he was selling for a third party. I was all ready to make payment when the Seller called it off - I never did find out exactly why. I really, really wanted that jersey.

Dewey2007
03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
For me it has got to be this item up for auction right now by Huggins and Scott

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=8407&catid=

Now I'm not just saying that because it's my own items being auctioned but I really think it's the greatest thing I've ever seen :D

There was a lot of blood, sweat, and fun that went into collecting these autographs when I was a kid...

yanks12025
03-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I'll keep my item cheap. I would love to own a Lou Gehrig signed baseball. I would give up a leg and a arm for one. Also i would love to have the upcoming Gehrig bat in Mastro's. But a ball would do good for now. I'm only 17 so i got plenty of years to save for a bat(yea like that will help, by then they will be $200,000+)

Rob L
03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Simple. Shoeless Joe's Black Betsy. For sale on eBay now at $695,000.

ivo610
12-27-2009, 01:45 PM
For me it was the Don Hutson jersey that came up for sale a year or 2 ago.

mr.miracle
12-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Probably this Ripken bat.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=76982

Or this Ripken glove signed off on by Denny Eskin. Reportedly one of only two ever used by Cal that are still not in his possession. Both items are way out of my price range however so unless I win the lottery if either ever do come up for auction again, I am still out of luck.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=22608&aucsearch=cal%20ripken%20game%20glove&AucListType=all&TitleDesc=1&period=

mr.miracle
12-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Simple. Shoeless Joe's Black Betsy. For sale on eBay now at $695,000.

Rob:

If I were you, I would treat myself and just break down and buy the bat since it is still for sale. :rolleyes:

Tedw9
12-27-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure where I saw it, but it was a Carl Willey complete Braves uniform. The number on back had been changed, but his name was still sewn on the inside. Of course, I found it AFTER the auction had ended.

Because Carl and I were close friends, that is my "holy grail" item, a jersey of his. So if any of you guys have one or two hanging in your closets, drop me a line. :D

tjm5711
12-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Since i only deal in Chicago Bears items, this Sid Luckman jersey that fetched over 40K would have to be it ! Can you imagine paying 1/2 that for a Mark Sanchez jersey ?

34swtns
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Since i only deal in Chicago Bears items, this Sid Luckman jersey that fetched over 40K would have to be it ! Can you imagine paying 1/2 that for a Mark Sanchez jersey ?

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!

Excellently put.

BIGSTIG
12-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Being a Cubs fan I have seen quite a few in past auction results, here are a few....

Santo 1960 Road rookie jersey

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=23637

And the others I cant find the auction links, but one was a Ryne Sandberg game used Rawlings glove and the other is a Mark Grace game used Wilson glove.

All these items were before I got into the hobby in early 2006, or before I knew about the auction houses. The first year of collecting all I did was search ebay, and buy at the Cubs convention.

Someday these items will pop up again, and I know I wont be able to afford the Santo, the Sandberg & Grace gloves would be within reach.

sox83cubs84
12-27-2009, 07:36 PM

+1

Dave M.
Chicago area

murfsteve25
12-27-2009, 08:30 PM
on Ebay there was a David Justice 1995 world series jersey from zanebats. wish i had the 3500 he wanted for it.

MarinersFan34
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I'd have to say the Black Betsy bat, that bat is just so cool and the history and provenance/documentation behind it.

As for a smaller ticket item I wish I could locate is the Seattle Mariners Randy Johnson #34 jersey. He wore #34 in honor of Nolan Ryan, and was actually on eBay (a few years ago I think) but I couldn't afford it at the time and obviously have not seen it since.

tjm5711
12-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Being a Cubs fan I have seen quite a few in past auction results, here are a few....

Santo 1960 Road rookie jersey

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=23637

And the others I cant find the auction links, but one was a Ryne Sandberg game used Rawlings glove and the other is a Mark Grace game used Wilson glove.

All these items were before I got into the hobby in early 2006, or before I knew about the auction houses. The first year of collecting all I did was search ebay, and buy at the Cubs convention.

Someday these items will pop up again, and I know I wont be able to afford the Santo, the Sandberg & Grace gloves would be within reach.

There was just a Mark Grace glove on Ebay about 4 months ago. A former Cub middle reliever who wasn't in the bigs but a few years sold it for about $1200. Our timelines are about the same. Starting in 2006, and not knowing about the auction houses until recently. Most of my time is still spent on the Bay when it comes to this hobby.

nationals2k9
12-27-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is my all-time #1 but I think about it from time to time. Would be pretty dang awesome to own assuming it's legit:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=50186&aucsearch=utley%20jersey&AucListType=closed&TitleDesc=0&period=

tjm5711
12-27-2009, 11:38 PM
+1

Dave M.
Chicago area

What does "+1" mean ?

BIGSTIG
12-27-2009, 11:54 PM
tjm - Thanks for the heads up. Man I am so mad I missed it. I would have paid more than $1,200 for it :( Do you remember the sellers ebay name?

Did anyone on here win it??

tjm5711
12-28-2009, 12:02 AM
tjm - Thanks for the heads up. Man I am so mad I missed it. I would have paid more than $1,200 for it :( Do you remember the sellers ebay name?

Did anyone on here win it??

Man, I'll tell you. He was a reliever from the early 90's and you'd know his name if you're a Cub fan like me. Can't remember it. The glove was legit, I just didn't want to drop that kind of dough. It was tough, because Mark Grace was my favorite player growing up. If you have any Grace stuff let me know. I only deal in Bears/Cubs stuff, so I know what's on the Bay that's worth mentioning.

BIGSTIG
12-28-2009, 12:06 AM
tjm - shoot me an email so we dont overtake this thread going back and forth...

bigstig1@gmail.com

Thanks - Nick

tjm5711
12-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Man, I'll tell you. He was a reliever from the early 90's and you'd know his name if you're a Cub fan like me. Can't remember it. The glove was legit, I just didn't want to drop that kind of dough. It was tough, because Mark Grace was my favorite player growing up. If you have any Grace stuff let me know. I only deal in Bears/Cubs stuff, so I know what's on the Bay that's worth mentioning.

Bob Patterson! That's his name ! I'm about 80 percent sure ! He sells used cars somewhere now, and said it was a gift from Grace to him after the '95 season. He was hurting for bread, that's why he sold it !

xpress34
12-28-2009, 12:24 AM
A piece that will forever haunt me - especially since I had the money at the time...

I was in St Louis for Christmas (visiting the parents who were living in St Charles at the time) in 1993.

I had just won $2,500 on the River Boat Queen and the (now ex) wife and I were going around checking out the Sports Card shops.

I don't remember which store it was, but he had an Original COMPLETE (Jersey, Hat, Pants, Belt and Stirrups) Cuban X Giants NEGRO LEAGUE Uni that had been seigned by the entire team. Could have been mine for a song - $750. A lot of money in 93, but just a drop in the bucket with what authentic Negro League stuff brings now...

- Chris

jobathenut
12-28-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't know if anyone else said this item.As i did'nt read all the post on here.So forgive me if it's been mentioned.I would'nt call it the greatest but i would call it the most unique rare strange item i have seen offered in auction.And that would have to be for sure this auction house (don't remember which one as it's been years).But they advertised in the old scd.Which by the way used to be the greatest as it was me and my brothers favorite magazine to read.But anyway,they were auctioning off a liqueur store receipt signed by len bias the night he passed away.It was date stamped and signed on the back of it.I don't remember any details of the price or anything.But me and my brother still to this day still talk about that item.

ironmanfan
12-28-2009, 07:54 AM
I don't know if anyone else said this item.As i did'nt read all the post on here.So forgive me if it's been mentioned.I would'nt call it the greatest but i would call it the most unique rare strange item i have seen offered in auction.And that would have to be for sure this auction house (don't remember which one as it's been years).But they advertised in the old scd.Which by the way used to be the greatest as it was me and my brothers favorite magazine to read.But anyway,they were auctioning off a liqueur store receipt signed by len bias the night he passed away.It was date stamped and signed on the back of it.I don't remember any details of the price or anything.But me and my brother still to this day still talk about that item.

I remember that..In fact in the the ESPN "30 for 30" series, there is a documentary about Bias and they actually interview the Liquor Store owner and show the signed receipt.

Vintagedeputy
12-28-2009, 08:21 AM
What does "+1" mean ?

+1 is internet shorthand. It means that you agree with whatever was said previously or what you quote from a previous post.

For example, If I said that I like the Yankees and you like the Yankees too, you could quote my post and say +1

tjm5711
12-28-2009, 08:56 AM
+1 is internet shorthand. It means that you agree with whatever was said previously or what you quote from a previous post.

For example, If I said that I like the Yankees and you like the Yankees too, you could quote my post and say +1

Ok, thanks, I figured it was something positive at least. And it literally was. lol

jobathenut
12-29-2009, 03:23 AM
IRONMANFAN-Seriously,man i am pissed i missed that.I was told that series 30 for 30 did a good show about him.But i forgot to watch it.I would have loved to have heard what the owner got for it.And the story behind it.And who ended up getting it.As me and my brother assummed a auction house would buy that for themselves.Would you have bought something like that? I know it sounds morbid but if i had the money i would have.
I remember that..In fact in the the ESPN "30 for 30" series, there is a documentary about Bias and they actually interview the Liquor Store owner and show the signed receipt.

jobathenut
12-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Hey tjm-I am with you as i don't speak "text".I guess i am old school.Because if i agree with someone i just say i agree with you.I know,thats a great story grandpa.Now what does "lol" mean? Just kidding.Or should i just type "j/k".:)
Ok, thanks, I figured it was something positive at least. And it literally was. lol

suicide_squeeze
01-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Rudy,

I couldn't respond when you posted this thread, but one item immediately popped into my head when I read this.

A few years back, there was a discovery in the hobby that I was really excited about.

For years, no one knew what the fait was of the jersey Roger Maris wore when he broke Babe Ruth's 60 home runs in a season record in '61. The few '61 jerseys known of Roger's had been checked over and over but none matched any of the ample photographs of the occasion. Remember, there were tons of pictures taken of Roger Maris hitting the home run, rounding the bases, celebrating on the field, in the locker room, etc.

Then one day, a collector who happened to have a 1960 Maris jersey decided it was time to part with it. Long story short, the sleeves appeared "short", kind of like the ones on the jersey Maris was wearing when he hit the monstrously historic 61st homer. After comtemplating the possibilities, subsequent photo checks produced an exact match. The jersey Roger Maris was wearing the day he hit that famous bomb in 1961 was in fact a 1960 jersey held over to the next year as a "back-up" jersey, an "extra" so to speak, by the equipment manager.

That always struck me as being one of the greatest finds in our hobby, and one of the greatest items I have ever seen in auction. If I recall correctly, it sold somewhere in the mid $300,000's before the buyers juice was added. Nice discovery.

LastingsMilledge85
01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Back at a 2007 auction at Shea Stadium they had a GU Lastings Milledge "Los Mets" jersey with a huge grass stain on it. The opening bid was a fortune because it was back when he still had potential. I have no idea if or how much it sold for, lucky me walked away with a Guillermo Mota half zip jacket.

joelsabi
01-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Rudy,

I couldn't respond when you posted this thread, but one item immediately popped into my head when I read this.

A few years back, there was a discovery in the hobby that I was really excited about.

For years, no one knew what the fait was of the jersey Roger Maris wore when he broke Babe Ruth's 60 home runs in a season record in '61. The few '61 jerseys known of Roger's had been checked over and over but none matched any of the ample photographs of the occasion. Remember, there were tons of pictures taken of Roger Maris hitting the home run, rounding the bases, celebrating on the field, in the locker room, etc.

Then one day, a collector who happened to have a 1960 Maris jersey decided it was time to part with it. Long story short, the sleeves appeared "short", kind of like the ones on the jersey Maris was wearing when he hit the monstrously historic 61st homer. After comtemplating the possibilities, subsequent photo checks produced an exact match. The jersey Roger Maris was wearing the day he hit that famous bomb in 1961 was in fact a 1960 jersey held over to the next year as a "back-up" jersey, an "extra" so to speak, by the equipment manager.

That always struck me as being one of the greatest finds in our hobby, and one of the greatest items I have ever seen in auction. If I recall correctly, it sold somewhere in the mid $300,000's before the buyers juice was added. Nice discovery.

good memory. here it is online. easier to read if you have the book smithsonian baseball.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_ZZxXG89PAIC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=%22in+fact+all+pinstripe+uniforms,+are+unique%2 2&source=bl&ots=A5L6wdTDUM&sig=X3NdObAhl9hd8D9_SS3BO5thDNA&hl=en&ei=8TivSo-uIIb0sgOu2rDHCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

xpress34
01-11-2010, 05:06 AM

Joel and Steve -

I'll have to look - and I'll scan the pages if I remember it right - but I believe the 'collector' they were referring to in the Smithsonian article is the late Barry Halper. I have the Auction Catalogs from the Halper Collection Auction and if memory serves, I believe Barry actually owned that Maris jersey for a time.

I'll check and get back to you.

- Chris

yanks12025
01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I would say for the biggest item to go up for sale was the jersey Lou Gehrig used during his famous speech.

legaleagle92481
01-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Shoeless Joe Jackson's game used black Betsy bat. It has since made its way to Ebay where it was for sale for a small fortune by Mitchell Marketing the Philly company that used to have Ryan Howard's exclusive autograph rights.

joelsabi
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Joel and Steve -

I'll have to look - and I'll scan the pages if I remember it right - but I believe the 'collector' they were referring to in the Smithsonian article is the late Barry Halper. I have the Auction Catalogs from the Halper Collection Auction and if memory serves, I believe Barry actually owned that Maris jersey for a time.

I'll check and get back to you.

- Chris

Hi Chris,

I did a quick 2-minute pass on the catalog and found photos of vintage Yankee pinstripes but could not locate it. Maybe I just missed it.

Anyways it would not surprise me if many, if not most, of the the early years items from collectors featured in the the book Smithsonian Baseball came from the Barry Halper's Collection. There are so many photos that would pop out at you if you looked at both the Smithsonian Baseball book as belonging formerly to the Halper Collection. Mr. Halper was an amazing collector.

Tell me if you have better luck.

Joel

xpress34
01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Chris,

I did a quick 2-minute pass on the catalog and found photos of vintage Yankee pinstripes but could not locate it. Maybe I just missed it.

Anyways it would not surprise me if many, if not most, of the the early years items from collectors featured in the the book Smithsonian Baseball came from the Barry Halper's Collection. There are so many photos that would pop out at you if you looked at both the Smithsonian Baseball book as belonging formerly to the Halper Collection. Mr. Halper was an amazing collector.

Tell me if you have better luck.

Joel

Joel -
I too just did a quick pass... it's been a few years since I've cracked into those... ;) Anyway, it is quite possible that I'm thinking of the Smithsonian (I have that book too), but I could swear I read somewhere that Halper once owned that jersey...

That said, while scanning the Halper Auction books, I did notice one jersey that blew me away - not even GU!

Apparently Halper owned a Gehrig 'presentation' jersey that was signed by Lou and given to family friends. Upon his death, they returned the jersey to Gehrig's widow who later gave the jersey to Halper. No year stitched in and no patches, so it is not believed to have seen game use, BUT it is the ONLY known Gehrig AUTO jersey in exsistence!

All the best -

Chris

yankees24
06-25-2010, 09:26 AM
for me personally, I now see a tino Martinez game used 2001 World Series jersey on Ebay. my heavenly grail but ah, just too much :(

34swtns
06-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Since the vast majority of Walter Payton jerseys that come up for sale are fakes, I'd have to say that the very few, (and by "very" I mean less than 3), legit Payton jerseys I've seen are the ultimate in this Bears fan's opinion.

A close second (for me anyway) would have to be the three orange alternate jerseys worn by Brian Urlacher that have come up for sale. For modern day Bears collectors they have to be considered "the holy grail". I've been fortunate enough to own two of the three.

gingi79
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't think it is the greatest item but I saw and touched the Paul Henderson 1972 Summit Series jersey at last summer's MeiGray show. With the juice, this jersey just sold for: $1.3 million dollars through Classic Auctions.

$1,300,000.00 dollars. For a used shirt. The buyer paid $200,000.00 in Buyers premium alone. In other words, the "honor" of spending a million dollars cost this buyer two hundred thousand dollars. That borders on Usury in my book.

I am a hockey fan. I understand how important the series was to Canada Hockey fans. But when you could purchase 5 to 10 museum worthy grail pieces using the buyers premium alone, that's ridiculous. Do I wish I had that kind of money for a game worn shirt? Of course! But I'd never spend it on any one item. I mean what do you do with a jersey like that? How do you display it? I'd be afraid to look at it, it would wind up in a safe deposit box somewhere in Switzerland. And what fun would owning something you had to store in a box?

spartakid
06-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't think it is the greatest item but I saw and touched the Paul Henderson 1972 Summit Series jersey at last summer's MeiGray show. With the juice, this jersey just sold for: $1.3 million dollars through Classic Auctions.

$1,300,000.00 dollars. For a used shirt. The buyer paid $200,000.00 in Buyers premium alone. In other words, the "honor" of spending a million dollars cost this buyer two hundred thousand dollars. That borders on Usury in my book.

I am a hockey fan. I understand how important the series was to Canada Hockey fans. But when you could purchase 5 to 10 museum worthy grail pieces using the buyers premium alone, that's ridiculous. Do I wish I had that kind of money for a game worn shirt? Of course! But I'd never spend it on any one item. I mean what do you do with a jersey like that? How do you display it? I'd be afraid to look at it, it would wind up in a safe deposit box somewhere in Switzerland. And what fun would owning something you had to store in a box?

Well if he can afford to drop that kind of money, he can probably afford to build a walk-in, climate controlled, safe to store it in. ;)

Mulligans
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Greatest...I don't know....but absolutely very cool.....Bill Belichick's 80 page hand written Defensive play book from the undefeated 2007 season.

CampWest
06-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Stephen Strasburg 2010 Bowman cards. Hands down. ;):rolleyes::D

flota89
06-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Stephen Strasburg 2010 Bowman cards. Hands down. ;):rolleyes::D
Yea me too. I like the fact that they are bright colors! Some are gold, some silver, some red! That has to be expensive! ;) Much better than any game used jersey or anything.:rolleyes:

34swtns
06-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Bill Belichick's 80 page hand written Defensive play book from the undefeated 2007 season.

Jeff, don't you mean "undefeated regular season"? :D

Sorry, bro', I just love rubbin' that in!

Mulligans
06-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Low Blow!

MikeSharon
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
best item i have seen in person at an auction was in 1990 at the Rangers winter carnival / sale the Rangers put the all star game jerseys from the previous season up at a live auction in the ballpark. they didnt have the patches but they had letters from the team saying they were used in the all star game . The Ryan went for 5 grand and that was 20 years ago. Reese Ryan his youngest son was in crowd bidding on it and dropped out around 2000 i stopped at 3000 if it had had the all star game patch i would have gone higher.

JETEFAN
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
My Holy grail....... Don Mattingly game used 1st base glove, saw one about 25 years ago haven't seen one since:( :( :(

George
harvesttrustinv@aol.com

Always looking for Mattingly quality game used items

joelsabi
10-07-2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=59140

This is kind of amazing. A Roberto Clemente Fielder's Glove from the personal collection of Pittsburgh glove expert, Dennis Esken.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/pics/59140_01_lg.jpg

justinbittner220
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM
joelsabi, do you have any way to contact Dennis Esken? email me.
justinbittner220@hotmail.com

joelsabi
04-04-2012, 12:36 PM
1951 Willie Mays Minneapolis Millers Home Jersey

Some interesting background from the description.
It was first brought to the attention of the collecting community when a Minneapolis resident took it to the Antiques Roadshow on June 26, 2004. He had purchased the jersey for fifty dollars about twenty years earlier at a small collectors show. Over the years he began to wonder about which players might have worn the jersey. His excitement in finding out that Mays wore number "28" with the Millers in 1951 was tempered by the fact that his research seemed to indicate that this was a 1950-style Millers jersey. Mays only played with the Millers for thirty-five games in 1951. Undaunted, and knowing that teams recycled their uniforms, he continued his research and eventually found the two accompanying photos that prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Mays did indeed wear this jersey during his brief time with the Millers.

pretty amazing that this exists and it does not belong to Willie Mays himself or the HOF.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2011_preview/14.html