PDA

View Full Version : Steiners Sports ?

plt4008usmc
02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with them? About a month ago I dropped some $$$ on stuff of Phil Hughes and one item was wrong so I had to return it to get the right one. Well today I get my winnings from their auction. I won 2 things a TClip BP road jersey and his road pants. Well I get TClip's pants, but someones else's jersey. It was #38 and 2 sizes to big. I called and told them what was up and they are replacing it. This is the second time I have ordered from them and the second time something wasnt right. Do I just have bad luck?

jerseydave.com
02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
No, your not just the lucky one. I won 5 different auctions and all 5 got messed up. Wrong items sent, no LOA's, they said they shipped one out to a wrong address, wasted 2 days off from work for them to pick items back up at my home, and I finally gave up. The 5th auction items was never fixed and I never bothered... its just not worth it to me...

David

jerseydave.com
02-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Oh, and 4 of the auctions were lots where each lot had 3 items in it. When I received each one, I only received 1 item and I had to chase them down for the other 2 items. I just kept sending e-mails to Brandon Steiner and somehow that would make the auction dept call me back.. until I sent him e-mails, I never got called back or they said they would call me with certain details and never did....

plt4008usmc
02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I called them today and waited 15 mins for them to find my order. The good thing is that UPS is picking it up tomorrow, but then I have to wait again for them to send the jersey. To me that is more work for them. They should inspect what they ship to us or something.

jerseydave.com
02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
I called them today and waited 15 mins for them to find my order. The good thing is that UPS is picking it up tomorrow, but then I have to wait again for them to send the jersey. To me that is more work for them. They should inspect what they ship to us or something.

They did the same thing to me. But why they had me send my jersey back was beyond me. I won a lot that had 3 jerseys in it, they only sent me 1 jersey. So I had to be home for the UPS driver to pick the package back up from me.. (I missed work for this)..but the jersey I had was part of the lot, they just did not put the hologram on it and send a LOA with it. So I send it back, they return it to me with a LOA and a Hologram.

This is where is gets good, while the jersey is on it ways back, they have UPS deliver a LOA to my house with extra holograms so I have spare ones to put on the jersey.. I have 3 extra holograms and 3 extra LOA's for items that I don't have, never won, and still am amazed a company would send holograms out by themselves to anyone..

Then they send me a box with only 2 jerseys in it for the ones that were missing from the lot that I own, then i get a separate box sent to me which was the original jersey I sent back. They did this to me on 3 separate lots of only sending me 1 item, and then have me send it back, just to return it to me, and send me a separate box with the 2 items that were missing in the first place...

David Serviss
817-454-2420

plt4008usmc
02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
wow you have had it bad. I think next time I will hesitant to deal with stieners. I can understand once doing this but the two times I ordered stuff something has been wrong. I am glad I am not the only one.

otismalibu
02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
This is where is gets good, while the jersey is on it ways back, they have UPS deliver a LOA to my house with extra holograms so I have spare ones to put on the jersey.. I have 3 extra holograms and 3 extra LOA's for items that I don't have, never won, and still am amazed a company would send holograms out by themselves to anyone..

You'll have to list those on eBay. :D

sarahsdad
02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I have attempted to give them my money twice and had nothing but problems with them. They are not worth the aggravation. And they are certainly not the end all with yankees items. Given my problems with them and other problems I have heard and read about a Steiner LOA or hologram is worth about the same as any other LOA in this hobby. Even one from Lampson.
Sarahsdad

Ozric
02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow... I have purchased over 15 different Sandy Alomar Jr Mets items from them in the past 6 months and have not had one issue at all. They all arrived super fast with the proper cert tagging and paperwork as well. I have never had an issue at all with them.

bigtime59
02-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Steiner appears to have some pretty significant "left hand/right hand" issues. In my experience it's impossible to get them to send items from two different teams in the same box. It's as if each area (Yankee$, Met$, Dodger$, Red $ox) is run as a franchise...that doesn't talk to the other "franchises".
Also, what's with this business of charging a "buyers' premium" on auction items that they own???
Finally, it's pretty clear that they're not paying top dollar to the people who work in their billing department. It would take several lengthy paragraphs to describe the havoc they wrought in my checking account this month...

70to66
02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I ordered an autograph item from them over the phone and they sent me the wrong item, I called to let them know and they were rude and acted like I ordered the wrong thing, then asked me if I would rather have the item sent.
After telling them I wanted what I had ordered, I waited almost a month and got the wrong thing again and just decided to keep it and never do business with them again.

bigtruck260
02-21-2008, 05:48 PM

This is pretty disturbing. I hate holograms to begin with...and this just tells me that those are worthless.

I know of a certain company who "authenticates" who supposedly sells rolls of cert stickers to big dealers...there is really no difference to me - shady is shady and once you slip in this business, it takes TONS to get your SOLID label back if it ever happens.

Jeff and I were talking about something similar this past weekend at his table...Some of the larger and more reputable sellers/authenticators have the scary ability to simply turn and "put one over" on unsuspecting customers if they chose to do it. It's like the pharmacy techncians in the hospital I work for - the guys/ladies who are caught stealing drugs are usually the most exemplary and longest-tenured employees...the most TRUSTED.

My point is that the trusted name of Steiner is seriously beginning to dip into the (as Rudy put it) "three lettered acronym companies". I think that they have been very savvy over the years associating themselves with the Yankees (class organization) and Jeter (Class athlete)...they have customer trust, and have started abusing it.

The Marketing skills are certainly exceptional at Steiner, now all they need is some quality control and customer service.

Regards,

Dave

sctizzle
02-21-2008, 06:43 PM
I have had a few recent dealings with them and I was happy with the the signatures, but not thrilled with their ways. They had the nerve to try to charge $28 to ship 3 photos from NY to NJ. The rep said that is the standard shipping rate and for quite a few days refused to budge on price. I pointed out that no where on the website did it say that free shipping did not apply to send in autograph signings. All it said was orders over $200 were free shipping. Of course after I pointed that out, the web was changed. They finally lowered the price to $14 to ship 3 photos which cost around $4 to ship. You would think on a $380 send in photo order, they would waive the shipping charge.

I went to an in store signing on Sunday with Alexander Ovechkin and Steiner was charging $10 on top of their fee for a simple COA card that they include with their regular purchases. They were charging $75 for a photo and $100 a stick. I spent $450 for 5 autographs and was not going to spend another $50 for 5 simple card coas. The 3 sticks were game used and I had them put the Ovechkin authenticated hologram below the autograph and told them they could keep the steiner hologram. The guy putting them on looked like, what you don't want our hologram? He then tried to put down the Ovechkin hologram by saying well, I don't know if those are even tamper proof like ours.

I must say, I did have a great dealing with them last year when I dealt with Efrain Reyes.

hiramman
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Funny how no one's mentioned that they won an auction for a Yankee common spring training game issued jersey and received a Derek Jeter game-used home jersey by mistake. Go figure.

plt4008usmc
02-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Funny how no one's mentioned that they won an auction for a Yankee common spring training game issued jersey and received a Derek Jeter game-used home jersey by mistake. Go figure.

I wish :)

larry bourget
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I recently heard that the Steiner/Yankees partnership is over, that the Yankees were not real happy with Steiners marketing strategy. I wonder if that explains Steiner's most recent YANKEES BIG BLOW OUT Auctions, they were letting jersey's go for as little as $25., pants $10. Anyone know anything factual.

Are the Yankees ready to market their own game used items.

Any Steiner reps want to respond.

regards,
larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

BULBUS
02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I recently heard that the Steiner/Yankees partnership is over, that the Yankees were not real happy with Steiners marketing strategy. I wonder if that explains Steiner's most recent YANKEES BIG BLOW OUT Auctions, they were letting jersey's go for as little as $25., pants $10. Anyone know anything factual.

Are the Yankees ready to market their own game used items.

Any Steiner reps want to respond.

regards,
larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

They did let alot of stuff go cheap and they don't have much listed on their website. But then again, maybe they are making room for the new stuff about to come in?? With all the "last year in Yankee Stadium hype", I'm sure stuff is going to be priced through the roof.:eek:

kingjammy24
02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
this may give some insight into steiner's pricing logic:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2063234

"Steiner's commission on this deal was almost 10 times the norm."

anyway, re: steiner
unlike some dealers, i don't think steiner's a fraud shop. i think they're just woefully mismanaged. they secure an exclusive deal with the most storied team in american history and they rollout without any way to id and track individual jerseys. in the world of gross mismanagement, the fact that an entire roster of suits couldn't figure out the basics of their flagship product really takes first prize. hundreds of yankees jerseys make it out before steiner finally clues in over a year later. then they hire mears to help them devise a plan, thereby admitting their own in-house staff lacks the talent and skills needed.

approx 2 yrs after taking receipt of the yankees stock, they still didn't have all of the stuff unpacked and categorized. meigray deals with a similar amount of inventory and i don't see them weeping about the sheer quantity or making nearly the same amount of errors. steiner charges bentley prices and operates like a lada dealership.

sometime in mid-07, i was looking specifically for a 1992 roberto kelly BP gamer. i emailed malandro. he told me tons of BPs were still packed in boxes and he lacked the time to go through it all. it's been 2 yrs since they signed the yankees deal and the stuff is STILL in boxes?! either hire the damn people you need to get the job done right or don't do the job at all. this dog-n-pony show is getting tiresome. so i waited a few months and the jersey i wanted finally made it's way out of storage and onto a steiner auction. i won it and the transaction was fine. funny thing about the auction is that it seemed to be the work of someone who managed to ID half the jerseys via rosters but eventually got tired and gave up completely, leaving the other half unidentified. as i went through them, i found most were easily identifiable via baseballalmanac.com. it seems steiner simply didn't want to do the work when they could just leave it up to the collector. not exactly sure what my "buyer's premium" was for. steiner owns the shirt outright and if they sell it via one section of their website there's no premium but if they sell it via another section of their website there is a premium. bravo.

they came out with pricing so ludicrous that they were forced to have firesales and their pricing integrity flew out the window. don't feel like paying $10k for that jeter jersey on the steiner website? wait a few months and it'll end up at GFC or ebay for half the price or even less.

to this day, they're still misidentifying items left, right and center. give me a pad of pink slips and i'd whip that place into shape.

rudy.

TNTtoys
02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Guys,

I need to come to Steiner's defense here. I have dealt with them on many thousands of dollars worth of Mets merchandise over the years and not once have I ever had any "trouble." Their sales folks have been helpful, informative and always go the extra mile to help me out. They also run fantastic clearances throughout the year for their preferred buyers and I never cease to find a bargain during these times. I also have been their guest at Mets games, private functions, player signings, etc. all for maintaining a good relationship with them. Companies like this within our hobby are few and far between.

On one single occasion, the wording on 1 LOA was incorrect, and they took the entire package back at their cost, re-authenticated it, and sent it back to me. Again, I don't consider this a "problem" -- just an example of them taking care of their customer.

Nick

kingjammy24
02-22-2008, 06:04 PM
hey nick,

i don't doubt that many people have had wonderful experiences with steiner. clearly though, others have had less-than-wonderful experiences. the latter tend to be more vocal.

personally, i steiner's missed the boat on several issues, despite the fact that they've satisfied many customers. i've heard people praise malandro for helping them find an item and i'm sure their praise was well-deserved. unfortunately for me, malandro wasn't as helpful. apparently my jersey was buried amongst a ton of boxes and noone was going to find it anytime soon. i just completely fail to understand how it can take so long to unpack inventory. hire 200 temps if you need to but get the stuff unpacked asap. who wants to wait 2 yrs for a jersey to make its way from the warehouse to market?

as good as steiner is, i think there's significant room for improvement. the system they have now should've been there since day 1. meigray had a similar system prior to the steiner/yankees deal so why didn't steiner do a competitive assessment? as i type this there are knoblauch retail bats sitting on the steiner site being sold as "game issued". again, kudos to steiner for all of their happy customers, but there's still a ton of room for improvement.

rudy.

the3lads
12-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Well here is my recent experience with Steiner:

Won an ALCS 2009 game 3 lineup card and a week or so after the auction I received a phone call saying that the "card could not be found."

Anyway, I explained that I wanted the ALCS card (Championship season, blah, blah....) and I was first offered a 2012 lineup card and then a 2012 ALDS base. We chatted for a while and the rep just asked me "what can we do to make it right?"

I asked for a Game 6 ALCS base and that is what I got. Not bad, but should have asked for a World Series base!

Vincent
12-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Well here is my recent experience with Steiner:

Won an ALCS 2009 game 3 lineup card and a week or so after the auction I received a phone call saying that the "card could not be found."

Anyway, I explained that I wanted the ALCS card (Championship season, blah, blah....) and I was first offered a 2012 lineup card and then a 2012 ALDS base. We chatted for a while and the rep just asked me "what can we do to make it right?"

I asked for a Game 6 ALCS base and that is what I got. Not bad, but should have asked for a World Series base!
2 stories. This first one was from 4 years ago.
Steiner had a 3 for 99 special and accidentally put up Frank THomas baseballs as part of it( had some inscription), so I jumped on it literally 5 minutes after it was put up, and got a call 2 days later asking me what I would like instead of the Thomas balls from the promotion. They started offering me a bunch of crap, so I said that I want a player close of stature to Frank, otherwise I would just wait for them to do another Frank Thomas signing. Then right as I was about to cut off conversation with them and wait for the Thomas baseballs, they offered me 3 Robin Yount signed baseballs with the hits inscription. Needless to say, I was able to make a killing selling those. Made around $500 on all 3 baseballs.

Second story about a year ago.
I bought a John Axeford notre dame jersey for $150, I then asked for a return and they sent me a label to ship it back. It took them 2 or 3 weeks to find the jersey once it got shipped back. The tracking even said that it had arrived to steiner, but for some reason they couldnt find it for the longest time. 3 weeks later, I got the refund.

I have not dealt with Steiner since, and I will have to think twice about it even before I do.

yanks12025
12-15-2012, 12:10 PM
I've always had good dealings with them.

64SHEA
12-15-2012, 01:32 PM
I have never really had any problems with them, except for the prices which are insane. I mostly stick to their auction site.

pjbmd
12-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I too had a mishap with the recent steiner auction
A few phone call with Barry from the auction side of things and my rep jj molesso resulted in swift resolution with my complete satisfaction
JJ has been a great rep for the past few years
Cheers
PJB

mbenga28
06-18-2014, 07:04 AM
I don't know where to put this, but I got a good laugh seeing this for sale on Steiner.

http://www.steinersports.com/2014-belmont-stakes-betting-ticket.html