Quantity or Quality: What do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris78
    • Nov 2007

Quantity or Quality: What do you prefer?

Hi, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this and I have not seen a topic like this posted recently.

When buying your game used items do you prefer to spend money, let's say $1,000, on 6 or 7 jerseys (or bats, etc.), or get 1 or 2 jerseys (or bats, etc.) for the $1,000? I have bought a few jerseys that have cost a decent amount, but I personally have been doing more of the quantity approach and may spread out the $1,000 that I am spending. I am curious on what other people do. I know that some of you collect for a particular team or player, while others may spread it out more.

Thank you to anyone that responds.

Chris
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

Re: Quantity or Quality: What do you prefer?

Quality over QTY any day.

D
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• medindians25
      • Feb 2008

I want to do quality, but every time I get money from selling stuff, a good deal pops up on cheaper stuff, so I buy that.

Comment

• suave1477
        Banned
        • Jan 2006

Well this is another topic as far as the way your asking the question that no one can answer honestly.

It would boil down too what's in your pocket and what's on the market at that moment.

If I have a thousand dollars and 10 bats are available that I want for a $100 each I would buy all 10.
        Same thing if there is a Jersey available for a $1000 I would buy the Jersey.

I would think it boils down to availability of the item, money you have available, and the biggest one of all, what your looking for at that moment.

Comment

• otismalibu
          • Nov 2005

I realize this is mostly a baseball board, but that thread title begs a Wilt Chamberlain reference.
          Greg
          DrJStuff.com

Comment

• kingjammy24
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
            I realize this is mostly a baseball board, but that thread title begs a Wilt Chamberlain reference.
            greg, you've been on fire lately. another excellent zinger!

if only i could upload a midi file of a rimshot.

rudy.

Comment

• Chris78
              • Nov 2007

No, that is not what I meant (in reference to Wilt Chamberlain).

I am also thinking in terms of what Web sites you may use in terms of buying your items. There are 3 different game used Web sites that I look at frequently and each one is different in terms of baseball jerseys that they mainly offer. One tends to have high-priced jerseys (basically no low priced jerseys), another has mainly moderately priced jerseys with some high end and some low end, and the other has more lower priced jerseys (does have a few higher priced jerseys). I would identify these by name but I am not sure if I am allowed.

Comment

• godwulf
                • Aug 2007

I'd have to agree with 'suave' - it's very situational. I think it's a natural human tendency, particularly as it relates to the collecting instinct, to go for "lots of things", and so to lean toward quantity - but occasionally that once in a lifetime opportunity to own one very cool, very expensive thing arises, and you know that if you go for it, your budget is shot and you may have to forgo any other buying for awhile, but you just have to own that one thing.

I just had a thought, though. Permit me to rephrase the question...and I think that it remains the same question, if you think about it.

Think of the one item that would have to be the Holy Grail of your chosen collecting niche. I collect, almost exclusively, Arizona Diamondbacks stuff, so for me it would have to be the bat Luis Gonzalez used to bloop that single over Jeter's head in Game 7 in 2001 to win the World Series. (I believe it's in Cooperstown, so it's not going to be on the market any time soon, but assume that it is.) I can't think of any more important or iconic piece of DBacks memorabilia in existence. Picture what that one item would be for you.

If you don't have a large collection yet, assume that you do. Now...would you trade every game-used piece, every bat, jersey, stick, helmet, whatever...every autograph, photo, card, pennant, etc...for that single, very important item?
                Jeff
                godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• Chris78
                  • Nov 2007

I would not trade everything I own for that one item. I am a Steelers fan and would not trade my collection (which includes game used, autographs, cards, etc.) for the Lombardi Trophy that the Steelers got when they won Super Bowl XL (or any of the other Super Bowls for that matter). Although, it would be tempting.

Thank you for some of the feedback that you guys are posting.

Comment

• geoff
                    • Nov 2005

To me it would depend on the Situation.But I would take more than less in most instances I guess.Unless its an item from a player that you collect and you need that item in your collection.

Comment

• karamaxjoe
                      • Nov 2005

Everybody's view of quality is going to be different. One mans high quality game worn jersey is another mans waste of time. My view of high quality is a perfect flannel. I would consider low quality a jersey from last few seasons since they are over produced. Of course, this is my opinion which can be drastically different than the next guy.

When I started collecting I was more focused on building a collection and most of the stuff I collected was inexpensive and may or may not have been the real deal. I guess you would call that low quality stuff. Over the years I have sold off most of the stuff I considered low quality and concentrated on higher quality items. Where I used to add a dozen jerseys to my collection per year, I now am lucky to add one or two since I'm not wasting my time or money on low quality stuff.

Less is more or more is less; it's up to you.

Mike
                      Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
                      ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• AWA85
                        • Jan 2008

This is a tough one because I am looking at this problem right now. I could purchase 2 or 3 jerseys from the Reds or instead I get one with american flag patch and is a little more unique. Earlier I was leaning towards a few cheap ones, but maybe I should just go with the one.
                        Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by godwulf

If you don't have a large collection yet, assume that you do. Now...would you trade every game-used piece, every bat, jersey, stick, helmet, whatever...every autograph, photo, card, pennant, etc...for that single, very important item?
                          Tough question. It depends . 1 item does not make a collection. It make a great start to a collection but most people spend a lot of time and effort to get to a point where they have a bat, jersey , helmet, etc. Guess it depends if you can start over again knowing that similiar items will come up for sale again. if yes then its very tempting.
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• b.heagy
                            • May 2006

Both
                            Bill Heagy
                            heagysports.com
                            Go Phillies !

Comment

• gingi79
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by godwulf
                              Think of the one item that would have to be the Holy Grail of your chosen collecting niche. Would you trade every game-used piece, every bat, jersey, stick, helmet, whatever...every autograph, photo, card, pennant, etc...for that single, very important item?
                              What a great question. Considering Barry Meisel owns my grail (1994 Stanley Cup Finals Black Photomatched Vancouver Canucks Pavel Bure) I wondered what the selling price would be (He claims he'll never sell it. Damn Rangers Fan lol) I estimate that if I won the Powerball, I could offer him enough money to get it.

However, in my 10 years of collecting game worn items and 20 years as a collectors of cards, autographs, die cast, etc, selling everything to get that one item would make me happy.....until the fun of first owning in would wear off. Then I'd miss my current Bure which is rare enough seeing as he only won this style in Vancouver for one year. I'd miss the Linden, the Salo's, all my Braves uni's etc. More importantly, I wouldn't want to give up the memories that these items inspire every time I see them.

So I guess I answered both questions. I'd rather have my quantity collection than my quality grail. (But I still want it Barry!)
                              Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

Working...