PDA

View Full Version : 1980's Lynn Dickey Packers Game Worn Helmet

commando
02-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Current eBay auction: Lynn Dickey GU Packers Helmet (http://cgi.ebay.com/Packers-LYNN-DICKEY-Mid-1980s-Game-Used-Worn-Helmet_W0QQitemZ270213402930QQihZ017QQcategoryZ868 28QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I have never seen a single photo of Lynn Dickey wearing this style facemask. Grey Flannel auctioned this helmet last December, and obviously believes the dymo tape stuck on the back overrides the facemask question.

Here's the style Dickey wore the majority of his time with the Packers:

He also briefly wore a four-bar mask, which was still the large cage style:

I'm not doubting the helmet's authenticity. I would just like to see a photo of Dickey wearing this style facemask.

gwh11
02-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't believe you will find a photo of Dickey wearing a helmet with that exact style of facemask.

Just to make sure, I went through the applicable yearbooks, video highlights, etc. Came up empty.

Guy

hblakewolf
02-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Current eBay auction: Lynn Dickey GU Packers Helmet (http://cgi.ebay.com/Packers-LYNN-DICKEY-Mid-1980s-Game-Used-Worn-Helmet_W0QQitemZ270213402930QQihZ017QQcategoryZ868 28QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I have never seen a single photo of Lynn Dickey wearing this style facemask. Grey Flannel auctioned this helmet last December, and obviously believes the dymo tape stuck on the back overrides the facemask question.

Here's the style Dickey wore the majority of his time with the Packers:

He also briefly wore a four-bar mask, which was still the large cage style:

I'm not doubting the helmet's authenticity. I would just like to see a photo of Dickey wearing this style facemask.

Based on the fact that Grey Flannel authenticated and sold it as a game worn Lynn Dickey helmet, I suggest you contact Rich Russek or another Grey flannel employee and ask for the supporting information they used to determine its authenticity.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

aeneas01
02-28-2008, 06:14 AM
another "game used" helmet from a well known player that's tough (impossible?) to photo match closely - lot's of problems with this helmet imho including the dymo style (12) and placement. if i were a buyer genuinely interested in this lid the first thing i would do would be to ask the seller for the date code - this could answer many questions especially given that dickey wore suspension and vsr lids during his career with the pack....

commando
02-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys...

I know we have beaten this topic to death in the past, but this helmet is just one example of the huge authentication problem facing our hobby (in my opinion). How much research was done to authenticate an item like this... Especially when casual Packers fans know Dickey didn't wear this facemask style. EVEN IF this helmet came directly from the team, there's room for human error if the equipment manager stated this is a Dickey helmet.

I'm not accusing any person of anything. What I do know is Lynn Dickey probably never touched that facemask.

John in KY
03-04-2008, 03:31 PM
another "game used" helmet from a well known player that's tough (impossible?) to photo match closely - lot's of problems with this helmet imho including the dymo style (12) and placement. if i were a buyer genuinely interested in this lid the first thing i would do would be to ask the seller for the date code - this could answer many questions especially given that dickey wore suspension and vsr lids during his career with the pack....

Agreed on the facemask issue; I can't recall Dickey wearing anything but a 3 bar/jopo mask of some style during his Packer career. However, it would have been either a suspension helmet or one of the earlier Riddell padded helmets (HA-91/92 Micro Fit, PAC-3, WD-1, AF-2 or M-155, depending on the year); I don't think the VSR series (VSR-1 and VSR-3) came out until around 1985 - 1984 at the earliest - and many teams didn't convert to them until later in the 1980s.

John in KY
03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Agreed on the facemask issue; I can't recall Dickey wearing anything but a 3 bar/jopo mask of some style during his Packer career. However, it would have been either a suspension helmet or one of the earlier Riddell padded helmets (HA-91/92 Micro Fit, PAC-3, WD-1, AF-2 or M-155, depending on the year); I don't think the VSR series (VSR-1 and VSR-3) came out until around 1985 - 1984 at the earliest - and many teams didn't convert to them until later in the 1980s.

Stupid mistake - hit enter by accident :( I meant to add:

Dickey could have only worn a VSR for maybe his final season, and I'm not 100% sure the VSR series didn't first come out in 1986, after he retired. Riddell's history page stops with the PAC-3 model, which came out in the 1970s and was replaced by the WD-1 circa 1982/83.