PDA

View Full Version : Words That shouldn't be....

bigtruck260
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
OK - So, you are the original owner of an item... and you are ready to sell. The item was handed from a ball player TO YOU and YOU only. Would you offer a refund if a third party deemed the item not-authentic?

Do you need to include a phrase like this?:

THIS BAT WAS OBTAINED DIRECTLY BY ME FROM ______HE SIGNED IT FOR ME AND NO OTHER THIRD PARTY. I AM 100% CONFIDENT IN THE AUTHENTICITY OF THIS BAT AND AUTOGRAPH. THE WINNING BUYER IS WELCOMED TO GET THE BAT AUTHENTICATED BY ANY COMPANY OF THEIR CHOICE (JSA, PSA/DNA, etc.). IF ANYTHING IS PROVEN TO BE NOT AUTHENTIC, I WILL ISSUE A FULL REFUND.

For some reason, this type of statement would make me question the item...even if everything else, including appearance looked OK.

Just something I have always wondered..."is it just me"?

Dave

mvandor
02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Could be you, that language would make me feel MORE comfortable, especially if it was on ebay and seller had solid feedback history. I would, however, send it out to be authenticated upon receipt, and would factor those costs into my bid.

suave1477
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Dave now it most cases I would agree with you, but on this one I am going to have to differ. I think what he is trying to say is that he feels that confident in what he is selling that it will pass any test and to be fair to someone because "things do happen" if it doesn't pass the buyer does not have to worry as they will get a full refund.

I think it is perfectly legiit.

But I will tell you I saw another ad recently that did make me cringe similar offering by the seller except the confidence went something more like this (And this is true I am not making this up)

"I know where I got this item from so I don't need to get it autheticated, no need for me to spend the money to get it autheticated when I know what I have."

How do you like that for an ebay description????

sylbry
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I agree with you Dave. Statements like that are a red flag to me and if I am interested I dig a little deaper into both the item and the seller.

bigtruck260
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree with what you are saying Suave - and I have a (maybe irrational) didsain for authentication (on autographs).

OK - I see what you are saying. I guess it is just a personal preference that I would not offer a refund if an authentication company said an autograph on one of my gamers was fake...especially if I saw it in person.

I refuse to let authentication dictate my reputation as a seller. I know that most high end sigs get more money - but in the end, you still have to be aware of what you are buying.

The item that the description below was taken from was probably perfectly legit.

...and before I get nasty-grams about being a poor seller for not offering a refund, I'll remind you that I have never had a negative - and rarely do not get the price I am looking for. Refunds are fine - and I offer them on everything except for in-person autographs or personally acquired items.
I have several friends who have sold stuff that they saw signed...put stuff on ebay only to have it fail PSA and the buyer put "SELLS FAKES" in their feedback.

I agree with both of the comments from MVandor and Suave. I guess I have a negative outlook and expectations from the authentication companies...

Dave

suave1477
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Dave your not wrong with what you feel but you have to understand that not everybody collecting is a Game Used enthusiast such as me and you.
So you are right that the person buying should understand what they are buying.

But all buyers are not aware of the sources or places to get detailed information, so they will rely on a so called "reputable company" to make sure for them. The reputable company is suppose to be the experts, so they will know what's real. It is just unfortunate some buyers put all there faith in an authentication company.

Example
Joe who never bought a game used bat before, but saw one on ebay and thought it was pretty cool to own a AROD bat because he loves baseball. Sees some guy he has never dealt with before selling one and the seller says well it's real because I got it from AROD. That is not gonna make a first time buyer quick to jump at the item.
But if you tell Joe I have a enough confidence it is real you can even take it too a (NAME BRAND AUTHENTICATION COMPANY) now you might feel more comfortable to buy it.

Remember when your trying to sell an item you want to peak the interests of expert collectors and that once in a life time buyer.

Just my 2 cents.