PDA

View Full Version : Thurma Munson Bat on Ebay

GameBats
03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know if Munson taped his bat handles? I don't recall ever seeing this.

Ebay Link - http://cgi.ebay.com/Thurman-Munson-Game-Used-Bat-New-York-Yankees_W0QQitemZ130201692092QQihZ003QQcategoryZ60 596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

metsbats
03-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Here's a photo I found on Getty. This bat looks like it has tape.

-David

GameBats
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks David.

The bat looks like a nice exmple. Jim Caravello, any input?

Thanks
John

JimCaravello
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
The Munson bat is solid and Munson occasionally did tape the handle of his bats as pictured. The bat boy story is legit, as I have spoken to that guy in the past and you can't get a Munson with more provenance than that. It's getting up in price and nice Munson bats are hard to find........good luck to anyone bidding! Jim

GameBats
03-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your input Jim, much appreciated.

John

JimCaravello
03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
She sold for $5,600.........Munson bats have definitely seen a marked increase in value in the last few years...........

jonincleve
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
why is he not in the hall of fame? mvp/ captain / almost ten year career cut short. what gives? sandy koufax gale sayers why? why? and i hate the yankees.

take care
john

yanks12025
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
That was a really nice looking bat, so was the Mantle the same guy was offering. If i had the money i would love to add a Munson bat to my collection. This photo is the only item i have of something relating to munson, and i dont know if its real. The person before me said it had failed PSA and JSA because its not a full autograph. And the person he got it from had two Thurman checks which were real, its all he say he say. But i believe it's real, the t,h and m are spot on. What do you guys think. Sorry about the T it's right on top of a dark spot. It's also signed by Rick Miller.

CollectGU
03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
That signature looks bad in my opinion. I would like to here Sammy's opinion, but I think he will agree with me...

Regards,
Dave

GameBats
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
$5600 WOW!! I liked the bat, just tough to spend $5600 without being able to handle the bat first. I figured it would sell for about $4300.

suave1477
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Yanks im not an expert on Turms autographs but by you saying the T and M are spot on. That is the very least indicator it is real.

Usually in most autographs the first letters of the names are the easiest to fake because they are usually the most pronounced.

Its the signature after the first letter that make up the autograph and if i collaborates with the way the first letter is.

Think of it like this, give me an hour or 2 to practice and I am sure I can fake the way you write the first first letter in your first and last name. Then the rest all i have to do is scribble and people just assume its real because the first letters are spot on.

PERFECT EXAMPLE - When I was a little kid in school (I was a little bit of a trouble maker) and I would get sent home with notices to my mother to sign. Now all the teachers knew my mothers signature because my mother had a unique signature so they would know if I tried to fake it (Or did they???) So one day I went home and practiced my mothers signature the first Letter of her first and last name over and over for a couple of hours because I know thats what the teachers were paying attention too. I got them down pat and scribbled the rest of her name.:rolleyes:

Next thing you know im handing back signed letters from my mom passing the ultimate authentication tests my teachers and principals lol lol:D

thegoodz15
03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
ok mr yanks 1025.....i was the gentleman with the thurman munson bat and the mickey mantle bat....the photograph you have is totally ng....i have collected munson items since 1984 and im sorry to tell you its not close....as for the munson bat it was drop dead gorgeous as its the first bat i ever sold of thurman munson...i thought it was time for someone else to enjoy it and use the money for a lou gehrig game used bat...hence im really a louisville slugger guy where if you have watched i have paid 5,000 for any great louisville munson bat....all in all thurman should be in the hall of fame and his stuff as mr jim caravello has stated is rare and always appreciates......enjoy the hunt.....respectively...scott g

gameusedbat.com
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Hello,

Anyone looking for a Munson game used bat feel free to email us at info@gameusedbat.com for pictures. We have a 1977-79 Hillerich and Brasby S44 signature model matching Munson's factory records that has been cracked and professionally repaired.

Thanks

yanks12025
03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I only payed $50 for the wire photo, so i dont care that much. I think its still a great looking photo. Thanks for the help

yanks12025
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Thegoodz15,
I was not trying saying any thing bad about the Munson bat you sold. It was a great looking bat and Thurman should be in the Hall. I also hope you get a Lou gehrig game used bat(i would love one of his, hes my favorite player). I'm only 17 and my goal is just to get a Gehrig autograph and then i think im done with collecting.

GameBats
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Scott,

That Munson bat is a great piece. Is it possible for you to post some photos of your Munson collection. His "authentic" equipment is hard to come by. I would love to see some more of your collection. It sounds outstanding.

mdube16
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Here is a Munson autograph that was just certified by JSA. Pretty cool item. Its available if anyone is interested (and its within the rules to post that here)

Thanks,
Mark
mdube16@bellsouth.net