Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GameBats
    • Nov 2005

Thurma Munson Bat on Ebay

Does anyone know if Munson taped his bat handles? I don't recall ever seeing this.

Ebay Link - http://cgi.ebay.com/Thurman-Munson-G...QQcmdZViewItem
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: Thurma Munson Bat on Ebay

Here's a photo I found on Getty. This bat looks like it has tape.

-David
    Attached Files
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• GameBats
      • Nov 2005

Thanks David.

The bat looks like a nice exmple. Jim Caravello, any input?

Thanks
      John

Comment

• JimCaravello
        • Jan 1970

The Munson bat is solid and Munson occasionally did tape the handle of his bats as pictured. The bat boy story is legit, as I have spoken to that guy in the past and you can't get a Munson with more provenance than that. It's getting up in price and nice Munson bats are hard to find........good luck to anyone bidding! Jim

Comment

• GameBats
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for your input Jim, much appreciated.

John

Comment

• JimCaravello
            • Jan 1970

She sold for $5,600.........Munson bats have definitely seen a marked increase in value in the last few years...........

Comment

• jonincleve
              • Apr 2006

why is he not in the hall of fame? mvp/ captain / almost ten year career cut short. what gives? sandy koufax gale sayers why? why? and i hate the yankees.

take care
              john

Comment

• yanks12025
                • Jan 2006

That was a really nice looking bat, so was the Mantle the same guy was offering. If i had the money i would love to add a Munson bat to my collection. This photo is the only item i have of something relating to munson, and i dont know if its real. The person before me said it had failed PSA and JSA because its not a full autograph. And the person he got it from had two Thurman checks which were real, its all he say he say. But i believe it's real, the t,h and m are spot on. What do you guys think. Sorry about the T it's right on top of a dark spot. It's also signed by Rick Miller.
                Attached Files

Comment

• CollectGU
                  • Nov 2005

That signature looks bad in my opinion. I would like to here Sammy's opinion, but I think he will agree with me...

Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

• GameBats
                    • Nov 2005

$5600 WOW!! I liked the bat, just tough to spend $5600 without being able to handle the bat first. I figured it would sell for about $4300.

Comment

• suave1477
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2006

Yanks im not an expert on Turms autographs but by you saying the T and M are spot on. That is the very least indicator it is real.

Usually in most autographs the first letters of the names are the easiest to fake because they are usually the most pronounced.

Its the signature after the first letter that make up the autograph and if i collaborates with the way the first letter is.

Think of it like this, give me an hour or 2 to practice and I am sure I can fake the way you write the first first letter in your first and last name. Then the rest all i have to do is scribble and people just assume its real because the first letters are spot on.

PERFECT EXAMPLE - When I was a little kid in school (I was a little bit of a trouble maker) and I would get sent home with notices to my mother to sign. Now all the teachers knew my mothers signature because my mother had a unique signature so they would know if I tried to fake it (Or did they???) So one day I went home and practiced my mothers signature the first Letter of her first and last name over and over for a couple of hours because I know thats what the teachers were paying attention too. I got them down pat and scribbled the rest of her name.

Next thing you know im handing back signed letters from my mom passing the ultimate authentication tests my teachers and principals lol lol

Comment

• thegoodz15
                        • Dec 2007

ok mr yanks 1025.....i was the gentleman with the thurman munson bat and the mickey mantle bat....the photograph you have is totally ng....i have collected munson items since 1984 and im sorry to tell you its not close....as for the munson bat it was drop dead gorgeous as its the first bat i ever sold of thurman munson...i thought it was time for someone else to enjoy it and use the money for a lou gehrig game used bat...hence im really a louisville slugger guy where if you have watched i have paid 5,000 for any great louisville munson bat....all in all thurman should be in the hall of fame and his stuff as mr jim caravello has stated is rare and always appreciates......enjoy the hunt.....respectively...scott g

Comment

• gameusedbat.com
                          • Apr 2007

Hello,

Anyone looking for a Munson game used bat feel free to email us at info@gameusedbat.com for pictures. We have a 1977-79 Hillerich and Brasby S44 signature model matching Munson's factory records that has been cracked and professionally repaired.

Thanks

Comment

• yanks12025
                            • Jan 2006

I only payed $50 for the wire photo, so i dont care that much. I think its still a great looking photo. Thanks for the help

Comment

• yanks12025
                              • Jan 2006

Thegoodz15,
                              I was not trying saying any thing bad about the Munson bat you sold. It was a great looking bat and Thurman should be in the Hall. I also hope you get a Lou gehrig game used bat(i would love one of his, hes my favorite player). I'm only 17 and my goal is just to get a Gehrig autograph and then i think im done with collecting.

Comment

Working...