PDA

View Full Version : Braves experts/pictures and photomatching questions.

gingi79
03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Hello Forum!

I posted a while back that I finally got one of my grails, a Jeff Francoeur game used jersey. I purchased it from MLB Auctions and it has the hologram number. They finally updated today with details which list it as follows:

Hologram number BB570508 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under Game-used Jersey.
Session Product Description:
Additional Information: #7 Francoeur

Session Name: DET at ATL
Session Date: June 24, 2007
Autographer:
Authenticator: Authenticators, Inc.

I know it's real but I love to photomatch stuff for fun. I looked on Getty Images (see below)

Question #1) Are there any collectors who went to this game (or any 2007 Home Game where they wore the Alternate Red jerseys) and have good close pics of Jeff? Please PM, email or post them here, thanks in advance.

Question #2) My jersey tagging tells me (48 07 S1) which I have always read as size 48 2007 season set #1. I deal primarily with MeiGray and Hockey gamers other than my Braves collection and when it comes to Barry and the guys, I know there is only one Set 1 Home, only one set 2 away and only 1 set 1 Alternate. Is it the same with regards to the Braves and if so does that mean it may should also have been worn before June 24th?

That brings me to the ever popular Question 3) Look at the two pics below. The first is from May 10th 2007 notice the Cool Base tag is full and untouched. Pic #2 from late May/June I believe, looks like it was cut out. Pic #3 is my jersey where the Cool Base tag should be. Would you consider this a photomatch?

All feedback appreciated, opinions, comments, etc. As I said since it isn't a question of authenticity, I just want to know as much as possible about the shirt. Thanks

Matt

gingi79
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
For some reason these came up on the preview but not the actual thread. Sorry. The first pic is from Early May. The closeup with the circled tag comes next. Then I have a pic from Late May/ Early June showing the cut out cool base tag. In your opinion is this a Photomatch?

hiramman
03-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Yes, the 48 07 01 does mean size 48 season 2007 set 1 and size 48 is correct for Jeff. Baseball jerseys are not like hockey jerseys. Players will have multiple set numbers and just because it is a set 1, doesn't mean that is jersey#1 and set 2 is jersey #2. There could be 2, 3 or more jerseys in set 1 and players will have multiple sets from 2 on up. You'd be suprised how many sets some players have. It just depends on the player and the team. Just check out some of the jerseys on ebay, you'll see some very high set numbers, but most of the time they will be between 1-5. Also they do not where them in order by set#. You'll find some set 2 & set 3 jerseys that show tons of wear, while the set 1 from the same year will look brand new. Your jersey could have been worn on any Sunday during the year, so don't pin your research down to that one game.

Braves jerseys are very tough to photo match unless they have a flaw or mark of some kind to help identify them. The missing tag on your jersey, actually should help you out trying to find photos. I went to several Sunday games last season, but I wasn't at that game.

Lastly, the photo from Getty is just too blurry to call that a photo-match in my opinion, but it's a good start. Clearer photos from that game might help identify if the missing tag matches your jersey, but those kind of photos are really tough to come by. The search is part of the fun.

kylehess10
03-06-2008, 12:03 AM
I agree....the picture is just too blurry....but your jersey is very interesting because I've never seen a jersey with that tag cut off before. I know that some players used to cut off the Majestic tags (players like Renteria and Giles) becuase it was uncomfortable for them....but why would Francoeur take off this tag?? It's so small and it doesn't really seem like something that would be uncomfortable for the player while playing.

gingi79
03-06-2008, 07:26 AM
I agree Kyle. If any tag was bothering him, I would assume it would have been the inner one with the wash instructions and 0062 code as that may rub his skin or cause irritation. The CoolBase tag hangs outside the jersey and while I find them gaudy and unneccesary, I don't know why he would have cut it out. If anyone is going to Spring Training or a Braves game this year and can bend his ear, would ya ask him for me? :D :p ;)

kylehess10
03-06-2008, 07:53 AM
I agree Kyle. If any tag was bothering him, I would assume it would have been the inner one with the wash instructions and 0062 code as that may rub his skin or cause irritation. The CoolBase tag hangs outside the jersey and while I find them gaudy and unneccesary, I don't know why he would have cut it out. If anyone is going to Spring Training or a Braves game this year and can bend his ear, would ya ask him for me? :D :p ;)

Whenever I see Francoeur next I'll be sure to ask him. I've met him a few times already....he's a pretty nice guy.