PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics

AWA85
03-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I've been looking at a few jerseys on Vintage Authentics and have seen all sorts of comments about the authenticator, but just curious is the stuff trust worthy? I know his grading system is kind of up and down, but are the products and service quality?

bigtruck260
03-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Point Blank...

Unless an item has rock solid provenance, I am afraid to touch it. The trouble is, items with that type of history usually come with a price...even for commons. Especially Cardinal commons.

Auction houses in general have turned me off of collecting jerseys. There have been far too many screw ups. I am pretty certain that the only way I would buy something on trust is from someone who I was 100% confident would refund me if I discovered a problem. The field of tru experts is limited. If it was listed in the upcoming GUU auction and passed the "member test" I would also consider.

Vintage is no worse than some of the other ones out there from what I have read here and elsewhere, but others probably have personal experiences that will counter it positive or negative.

Dave

dcgreg25
03-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Great comments bigtruck260! I have bought some things from Vintage Authentics and have been satisfied. I think the key is to ask a lot of questions and only bid if you feel very comfortable. Their stuff ranges from questionable to very authentic. Get as much information as you can. There is so much stuff out there for sale (and a number of auctions) that its not worth taking a chance if you have issues. You may want to consider asking about certain items you are looking at on the board to get others' opinions. Otherwise, you can wait for the GUU spring auction. I have never participated in a GUU Auction but am impressed with the format and open nature for questions about items. Good luck!

AWA85
03-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I've just began searching some of the autcion sites but still remain a little cautious. I've seen plenty of stories about some of these places, so I guess it would have to be an item that I really had to have. If anyone is an expert on jerseys or Reds jerseys let me know or any other dealings in the past with Vintage Authentics.

beavisrules
03-08-2008, 10:22 PM
AWA85, I have bid on a few items from vintage authentics in the past, but have yet to win an auction of theirs. That being said, I agree with what everyone else said in this thread.

Example - last auction, they listed a game worn 2003 Notre Dame green jersey. Well, there was one problem with that - Notre Dame did not wear green jerseys in 2003, and there was no chance that the jersey was recycled from 2002 given the adidas tagging on the jersey. I contacted them to point this out, and recommend they amend the listing to team issued, which would have been appropriate. They did not respond nor change the listing. Fortunately, the buyer/bidders on the item obviously did their homework and knew this as well, as the final price was appropriate for an issued green jersey.

Hope this helps.

AWA85
03-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I am interested in the Edwin Encarnacion Red alternate jersey (Lot 96) on their site and was wondering what some of the experts think. I have seen a few Reds Sunday Alternates that did not have the property of Cincinnati Reds tags and some that do have it. So I am coming to you guys, any help would be appreciated.

chakes89
03-21-2008, 02:06 AM
I deal with Reds stuff but I have absolutely no knowledge of the Red Alternates but I think it looks decent. I personally have never owned one of these so I don't have much info on these other than word of mouth from other collectors.

I personally wouldn't touch it because I dont trust any Reds jersey I don't buy in person directly from the Reds. I also don't care for the look of these jerseys.

For what its worth, His stuff is starting to pick up a bit and a lot of people think he is going to have a breakout season in 2008

That being said this jersey should go for no more than $250 on a good day

Neely8
03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I own several Reds alternates, including a couple from the same year as the Encarnacion. Some still have the Reds inventory tag from being acquired from the Redsfests or directly from the Reds and all have the Property of Cincinnati Reds tagging. I'd be very leery of one that didn't have it.

AWA85
03-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I will have to sit this one out, too much doubt building up. Thanks for the help guys.

Also about Edwin having a break out year, I think Reds fans have been saying that for the past 3 years now. I really think he could have a nice season, but I don't know if he will ever end up being that 30 HR a season guy.

AWA85
03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Does the 0062 wash tag, gurantee something to be the real deal? Sorry still trying to learn about jerseys.