PDA

View Full Version : old The Duke football

tkustron
03-08-2008, 07:42 PM
from the 60's found it in my dads old stuff when cleaning out the closet said he got it when he was real young whats something like this worth? any ideas

cohibasmoker
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
from the 60's found it in my dads old stuff when cleaning out the closet said he got it when he was real young whats something like this worth? any ideas

Hi, there are a few variables to consider before trying to figure out an estimated value.

-Is the football a "Thorp", "Pro Pattern" or souvenier football?
-What commissioner's name is on the football?
-Are there any team markings or identifiers on the football?
-Does it hold air?
-And finally, what is the over-all condition of the football?

These are just a few variables to consider. It would be helpful to post a scan.

Jim

tkustron
03-09-2008, 08:10 AM
ok I am going to get some scans of it up but it holds air fine needs polished up and it says its official pro league pattern I don't see a comissioners name or team name on it though

cohibasmoker
03-09-2008, 05:56 PM
ok I am going to get some scans of it up but it holds air fine needs polished up and it says its official pro league pattern I don't see a comissioners name or team name on it though

Hi, the only "The Duke" football that was actually used in NFL games in the 1960's were those footballs that carried the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on them.

I have attached a scan of a Bert Bell Duke. Notice the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on the football. Bert Bell was later replaced by Pete Rozelle.

As for "Pro Pattern", those footballs were retail items.

Hope this helps,

Jim

chuckFL
01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
good quesitons to ask...
-Is the football a "Thorp", "Pro Pattern" or souvenier football? this one is stamped Thorp
-What commissioner's name is on the football? commish is Pete Rozelle
-Are there any team markings or identifiers on the football? it has the green bay packers stamped on one side, "THE DUKE" in the middle, and 1961-1962 world champions on the right side
-Does it hold air? yup, some.
-And finally, what is the over-all condition of the football? check the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckandlindaknowles/Football?feat=directlink

any thoughts on its value??

NEFAN
05-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Are the autographs stamped on the ball or actually signed?

JB1961
08-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi, the only "The Duke" football that was actually used in NFL games in the 1960's were those footballs that carried the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on them.

I have attached a scan of a Bert Bell Duke. Notice the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on the football. Bert Bell was later replaced by Pete Rozelle.

As for "Pro Pattern", those footballs were retail items.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim,

What if I told you that I do have a Thorp Bert Bell ball? In fact, mine was personal gift handed to me by a famous AFC head coach in the early 70's. I was just a kid. He mentioned something about the Colts and Jets. Hmmm
Been thinking lately of restoring the ball. Who could I speak to about its current value and the restoration process?

Jeff

cohibasmoker
08-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Jim,

What if I told you that I do have a Thorp Bert Bell ball? In fact, mine was personal gift handed to me by a famous AFC head coach in the early 70's. I was just a kid. He mentioned something about the Colts and Jets. Hmmm
Been thinking lately of restoring the ball. Who could I speak to about its current value and the restoration process?

Jeff

Jeff - I sent you a personal email on avenues to pursue - how did you make out?

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net