PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre 2002 Game used jersey on Ebay

jonschuette
03-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this jersey?
I emailed the seller a few questions about the Reebok Embelm position, if there was COA from Favre and if there was any snap alterations. They emailed back that there are no snaps, the embelm positions are fine and they got it from Favre's people. Who are Favre's people and what did he get; a letter attesting to the autograph or that it was game used. I asked them to send additional pictures of the embelm position and the COA/LOA. The picture of Favre holding the jersey is hard to make out regarding the length, autograph, and inscription, but the picture of the jersey appears shorter. Mears authenticated the jersey with a A10. I am not familiar with their grading system, but I am assuming that is excellent.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brett-Favre-2002-Green-Bay-Packers-Game-Used-Jersey-LOA_W0QQitemZ280206711148QQihZ018QQcategoryZ86829Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mattmueller
03-09-2008, 06:39 AM
I had a significant amount of email traffic with the seller on this piece the last two days and asked some the same questions. With respect to additional pictures of custom hem on sleeves and tails and logos on sleeves, I was told jersey was still at MEARS and selller was away until Wednesday of next week, so no pictures or access to jersey. I backed off a bit on the questions once he indicated he was not willing to go very far beneath his buy it now price. However, I did send him another email this morning asking him to clarify the Favre LOA and again asked for pics of logo placement and tail hemming.

Matt

gwh11
03-09-2008, 10:00 AM
It's somewhat difficult to tell from the small photos, but it appears to me that the Reebok sleeve logos are too high. See this previous thread:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13301

I posted photos of Favre from all the 2002 games that show the sleeve logos in the proper position. Put the fact that it comes with Favre's "game worn" inscription out of your mind when determining the authenticity of this piece. Unfortunately, there are a few Favre shirts that come with his COA that aren't game worn, despite the inscription, etc.

It would would be acceptible to have a Favre jersey from 2002 that didn't have snaps; those weren't typically installed until later in that season. However, if the sleeve logos are indeed high, as they appear (better photos will confirm this), I would maintain that this is not game worn.

Guy

mvandor
03-09-2008, 10:14 AM
52 seems large for Favre to me...

Would never buy a piece at a critical juncture in a player's career, like retirement, runs price up temporarily typically.

gwh11
03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Actually, 52 is the correct size. I would agree with you that for a real Favre gamer, you will now have to pay more.

Guy

mattmueller
03-09-2008, 11:09 AM
GWH11: See I learned from the last time your advice was provided (thanks again) and questioned the seller on the logo placement already.

FYI - Seller has agreed to provide additional photos when the jersey comes back from MEARS. Stay tuned.

jonschuette
03-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I agree with mvandor. Emotions are high and people are willing to pay a premium. I just have to ask my wife, who is from Wisconsin. She has been in mourning ever since Favre had annouced his retirement.

Question: Does Mears usually provide the grading score before they ship the jersey back?

mattmueller
03-09-2008, 08:07 PM
My take was that MEARS finished their work, but seller is out of town until Wednesday. So it did not appear to me to be abnormal for seller to get the grade and have it listed as A10 before he picks it up from MEARS.

rose14
03-09-2008, 08:09 PM
It is possible to know the grade on an item from Mears before it is received back as I have done it with my items.

mattmueller
03-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Seller finally responded to my questions about seeing what the Favre letter authenticated (signature or game use) and requests to have better pictures of the sleeves with "the jersey has been sold". Anybody else get more information from seller?

jonschuette
03-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I never heard back from MSAuctions regarding the jersey and/or letter.

mattmueller - did they say the jersey has been sold? I guess that is convenient.

There is another Favre 2002 jersey on ebay. I have written the seller regarding the Reebok sleeve emblem position and the bottom heam of the jersey. I asked if they could photo match the emblem positions. I wonder where the letter 'from the desk of Brett Favre came from'?

mattmueller
03-19-2008, 05:46 AM
MSAuctions informed me the jersey was sold and that I could get better pictures of the reebok logo placement when he picks the jersey up from MEARS. Pics have not been received yet.

mattmueller
03-19-2008, 06:03 AM
The current Favre on ebay also looks to have Reebok logos in the wrong spot.

Any thoughts where all these 2002 jerseys are coming from? Was there a batch of replicas made in 2002?

hblakewolf
03-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Matt-
Send me your email address and I may be able to assist.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

gwh11
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Matt,
The Favre on eBay was sold at auction awhile ago. I posted the picture of the auction listing in this thread:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13301

Guy

mattmueller
03-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Guy: I thought the autographs looked similar/same and the pic of Favre holding the jersey looks the same, but I get a bit seasick trying to look at his pictures. The question I had is that the hologram on the ebay is bottom/middle of the 4, the one you posted is in a different spot. Also, the picture your post doesn't have the hologram visible on it. I imagine those can move / be moved, but why would they? Also, quick question on your photos, are they from the July 2005 Grey Flannel auction referenced in the text on ebay?

Response from seller on the Reebok issue. Maybe its just me, but it kinda reads like he is going to look for that photo right after he helps OJ find the real killers:
"Thanks for the e-mail. I see what you mean, I will continue to look for photos that may be a match and will certainly contact you if I can find somethiing. Thanks for your interest."

gwh11
03-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Matt, I think you're right. I took a closer look at the one on ebay now, and there are some subtle differences in the signature/inscription on the jersey, in addition to the fact that the ebay one appears to be longer. Sheesh. All these fake Favres are making my head spin.
Guy