PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez All Star Bat

Nnunnari
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Came across this Manny Ramirez all star bat on eBay today. It comes with a full letter of authenticity from John Taube stating that he believed the bat was used in the 2003 All-Star game. Checking Manny's stats from the game, it doesn't look like he got an at bat because he was replaced due to injury. Just curious what you guys thought about this or why, if this is indeed a real letter from PSA, they wouldn't do the basic research of seeing if Manny had an at bat during the game?

Nick

http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-RED-SOX-GAME-USED-ALL-STAR-BAT-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ270218818805QQihZ017QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/07152003.shtml

suave1477
03-11-2008, 10:49 AM
This is very interesting first I just looked at all the pics of the bat and it looks practically brand new except for a scratch ot 2 that could of come from someone just dropping the bat. At most I would have said this Bat is Game Issued. (Which would explain) why you dont see any use on it as it may have been a bat Manny was holding while sitting in the dugout.

After looking further into the description it says this:
"CONCLUSION: AFTER A THOROUGH EXAMINATION OF THIS MANNY RAMIREZ PROFESSIONAL MODEL BAT, AND ITS PLAYER USE CHARACTERISTICS, IT IS OUR OPINION THE BAT IS AUTHENTIC AND WAS USED BY RAMIREZ DURING THE 2003 ALL STAR GAME."

I would be interested in hearing about these Thorough Examination Player characteristics when the bat looks practically new

SkubeBats
03-11-2008, 11:28 AM
That's bad that a so called bat expert can make a mistake like this. It shows you how little time they spend on each item. If John would of took some time to look into this bats history he would of found out that Manny didn't even play in that ALL STAR GAME. So how can he say that it was used during this game. That's why I would never have a bat graded by these so called experts, their not always correct. Put it this way I wouldn't give someone free money for something I could do my self. All it takes is some time to research the bat your self we have lots of information on bat now day's that we don't need these guys to tell us if your item is real or not. Shame on John for this big mistake!!
Jamie

Nnunnari
03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Jamie,
I couldn't agree more. The grading process is solely for those individuals who have zero knowledge of what a true gamer is. It is sad that the bat market places so much emphasis on a PSA letter. I have sold bats that are excellent examples (9's and 10's) but they fetched much less money because there was no letter/grade assigned with it. At the same time, bats of lesser quality are sold for unreal prices just because it is PSA's "opinion" that it is authentic. Not to mention, bats sold by John seem to go through a much easier grading/authentication process. At the end of the day, everybody should do their own research- those who don't are poor investors and will overpay every time, these are the people John makes his living off.

harpt
03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
I hear what you guys are saying, and I realize there may have been a mistake made here, but in general isn't John Taube one of the good guys in this business?

He has been around a long time and has meant A LOT to the game used bat hobby. I don't know him personally, but I have dealt with him a few times. I always considered him to be a top notch person in the hobby...not someone to be linked with the bad apples and chronic mistake-makers.

Just my thoughts.

Nnunnari
03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Scott,
I hear what you're saying and I don't believe John is a bad guy or dishonest by any means. He has done wonders for the hobby and I respect his opinions on bats. My problem is how much emphasize is put on his LOAs and how much affect they have on the market-especially when they are not always accurate. When the leading and most highly regarded authenticator of bats is also in the business of selling bats- it makes you wonder how consistently the bats are graded. Just my thoughts.

Nick

chromecards
03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I would not jump to a conclusion here right away. John is a very good guy, and I do not think you should be brow beating him without looking at all of the facts. If you would have stopped to put in the certification number on PSA-DNA you would see that it is invalid. I would look more towards a forged LOA here then at John Taube.

Russell Mansfield

nealdevelopment@yahoo.com
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
John has always made good on his deals, no questions asked.
I have been a customer of his since the early 90's.

mwbosoxfan
03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
All it takes is some time to research the bat your self we have lots of information on bat now day's

Look's like maybe we should have taken some time do some research.

shoremen44
03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I have been in the hobby a relatively short time, yet I ahve always found John to be very thorough and straightforward with me... He has called me on several occasions when grading my bats to comment on usage, characteristics, and even player research. He has been extremely throrough on everything I have ever sent him... even the ones that graded poorly.

...my 2 cents