PDA

View Full Version : auction bidding

Dewey2007
03-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm bidding in my first sports memorabilia auction and it's a little bit exciting and a little bit nerve-wracking because it's an item I really want.

It's completely different then bidding on eBay because on eBay there is no 15-17.5% juice you have to pay if your the winning bidder. When bidding do you take the buyers premium into account on how much your willing to spend or do you just consider that a necessary evil of getting the item you want?

Anyhow, not sure if I'm asking anything in particular but I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts on auctions or if anyone has any good stories on bidding wars or on the one that got away.

Thanks!

Neely8
03-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I feel you have to factor in the hammer fee as part of the total you will pay for a particular jersey as well as the total it is worth. Unless it's something I have to have I don't really bid a whole lot anymore in auction house auctions because most hammer fees have gotten too steep for me and I refuse to pay it. Also, be prepared to stay up VERY late if you really want the item because most of the action takes place in the very latter stages of auctions.

suave1477
03-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Deewy I factor in the hammer fee and dont forget unlike most ebay items with a Sports auction (Grey Flannel) I have to pay for Taxes which I factor in.

Plus the difference between ebay and a sports auction is on ebay when it ends it ends, in sports auctions if you out bid someone at the last minute will give them usually another 5 minutes grace period to outbid you and vice versa.

Dewey2007
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I've factored in the hammer fee and got a price in my mind I won't go past no matter how much I want the item. Just have to hope that a similar item will become available somewhere down the line.

Suave, I did notice the extra 5-10 minutes of bidding after the auction ends. I imagine a lot goes on during that time. Also, I'm on the west coast so the auction won't end to late my time.

karamaxjoe
03-11-2008, 05:47 PM
You have to figure in the hammer fee unless money is no object in your life. The most important thing is to set a limit and stick to it. You have to be disciplined in your bidding or you'll be hit with a bill that is out of control. You also have to decide if you want to place a ceiling bid so you can go to bed or riding out the auction until the early hours of the morning. Some auction houses will give you a comfortable feeling about a ceiling bid and some will shill you to death.

Mike

Dewey2007
03-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I have gotten my max bid in with the hammer taken into account and if someone wants to pay more for the item then more power to them. This 10 minute rule after bidding ends just leaves to much opportunity for bidding to go on to long so not sure of my chances so we'll see.

Since money isn't something I have tons of to throw around, I guess I just have to be content that I bid what I could afford and let the chips fall where they may. Hopefully the game used gods can throw a little love my way tonight!!

33bird
03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Good luck Dewey. Let us know how it turns out.
Greg

gingi79
03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I've bid with a couple of the Houses, most specifically Classics and Lelands. The Juice annoys me as the fees always seem retarded high. I always equate it in when bidding. I also set my high bid towards the end and go to sleep. Why? Because the 5 minute extentions have gone on for hours.....I don't know if they still do it but once upon a time they would extend every lot in the entire auction if one item got a bid!

Unless it's a piece I will never see again or can't live without, I rarely bid anymore for these reasons.

Good Luck BTW!

scottanservitz
03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Dewey,
I recently won my first auction from one the auction houses. It was an item that rarely comes up for auction and I did end up getting it. It was also at my ceiling bid.....but I did factor in the buyer's premium so I was pretty happy in the end. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. I really hope you get it, but if you don't I bet you will find something else you'd like to add to your collection. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Scott

Dewey2007
03-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Guys, I appreciate the good thoughts but it wasn't in the cards for me tonight. Bidding got to high for my budget as much as I wanted the item since it would have been a nice addition to my collection. I was bidding on a 1977 Chris Speier Expos uniform on ClassicAuctions.net

Had the high bid when bidding closed but someone got me in overtime. Actually bidding is STILL going on with the longest 10 minutes in history. I'll just have to keep looking. He played 18 years so I'm sure there are more of his jerseys out there somewhere.

BTW, if anyone has a Chris Speier Giants, Expos or Cubs jersey they'd be interested in selling please let me know. Thanks!