PDA

View Full Version : clemente helmet???

momen55
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM
i have never seen a helmet like this!:confused: anyone have any ideas?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-PITTSBURGH-PIRATES-GAME-USED-HELMET_W0QQitemZ160217447909QQihZ006QQcategoryZ501 17QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Birdbats
03-13-2008, 03:05 PM
This seller once listed a Larry Berra R43 35" bat on eBay. A collector I know made him an offer and bought it "off line." When it finally showed up, it was a Yogi Berra 33" store bat. Repeated efforts to reach the guy and remedy the situation were useless... he evaporated, yet continues to list.

bigtruck260
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Jeff -

It is funny you mention that story...in one of his feedback's, someone leaves him a negative and he relpies by telliing them to read a Bible passage...

never said a word just left neg. sorry way to ebay, 2 corinthians 4:2 read it!

Here is the passage...Gotta love the irony. To be politically correct, I have removed any controversial words (wish I didn't have too..)

"Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of ___. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of ____."

Dave

momen55
03-13-2008, 03:24 PM
i emailed the seller but have not heard from yet. in my opinion, it is not legit. i have seen plenty of older helmets but never one like this.

ndevlin
03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I would not buy a THING from this guy! I was one of the people he emailed and sent pictures to about the Berra bat!! He was sending pics of two or more different bats to different people. It was pathetic. I actually thought he would have gotten kicked off by now, guess not. Maybe I'll have some fun with him. Im a little bored today.

momen55
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
this is what the seller emailed me. his response:

"thanks for your opinion, but since neither you nor i was there its impossible to say never. history is full of things of which there is no provenance, just conjecture on the part of humans. i have a bat that was given to me as a child in a 1961 home run derby by roger maris himself. i watched him use it during the homerun derby personally and got it as soon as the derby was over. it is a model 016 but with a different players name on it. no way i can prove he used it except i was there. so when i show it and an "expert" tells me know way i thank them for their insight but walk away reinforced in my thinking that unless you were there then there is no way ssomeone can say absoulutely, you believe that washington crossed the deleware, right, yet no photos or physical evidence exists to prove it .positively never and be right. by the way, they also have another one with the velvet texture covering like the one i have pictured which i will be looking at soon but the info they sent says name and number on it also. thanks"

pretty funny and idiotic. at the beginning of the listing, you could see who was bidding. now, it's private! he is trying to swindle someone is what i see.

commando
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
you believe that washington crossed the deleware, right, yet no photos or physical evidence exists to prove it...

Ummmm.... What?

I think this event was recorded in the books by several different people who happened to be there.... Sounds like pretty good provenance to me...

ndevlin
03-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I write him about an hr ago saying this helmet is just like the Yogi Berra bat he sold. You buy, get it home, and its something totally different. His response:

"the consigner boxed and shipped the bat, if there is a problem you need to let me know."

He obviously doesnt know who he sold what to. What a complete moron. But, I will say this. If you do bid on that helmet, you might be a moron too. It looks horrible :)

GoTigers
03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Is that an Equestrian Riding Helmet? That would explain the felt, and small size... Gotta be one of the most rediculous things on ebay. What years did the Pirates spray-paint stencil their logo?

ndevlin
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Is that an Equestrian Riding Helmet? That would explain the felt, and small size... Gotta be one of the most rediculous things on ebay. What years did the Pirates spray-paint stencil their logo?

'Nuff said!

GoTigers
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
By his own logic.. since he wasnt there to see Clemente use it, shouldnt he list it as Game Issued...something else besides game used?

sammy
03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Dave,

The word is GOD.

Please don't be ashamed to use His name, as He is not ashamed to use yours.

To be politically correct, I have removed any controversial words (wish I didn't have too..)

"Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of GOD. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of GOD."

Dave

bigtruck260
03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Dave,

The word is GOD.

Please don't be ashamed to use His name, as He is not ashamed to use yours.

To be politically correct, I have removed any controversial words (wish I didn't have too..)

"Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of GOD. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of GOD."

Dave

I agree - but I didn't feel like getting into it with someone in a public forum. I wanted the thread to stay on topic while making by point.
I have seen things go nutty over less than the use of God.

The seller in question used it in his feedback - and as a Christian, I found it quite funny. I wonder if he has ever actually read and understands the passage. I have seen pleny of guys selling fakes on the Bay use "God Bless" or the like, only to be guilty of breaking a Commandment repeatedly..."Thou Shall Not Steal".

Thanks for the support Sammy - just trying to be sensitive to everyone's beliefs/feelings. But you made your point to me...I appreciate it.

Back to Clemente -

Equestrian riding helmet is a good guess, but I think the bill might be too long for that....

Dave

ghostkid
03-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I guess misery loves company. A couple of years ago I was swindled by this person (Lin Griffin). Through email, I worked out a deal to buy an 35 inch 016 pro model Maris bat from this guy. I immediately sent him a money order and got excited to receive my bat. What I got from this man (loosely defined here) was a 34" store model Maris bat with a 4 stamped on the knob - no 016 found anywhere on the bat. After holding the bat for sometime thinking that I should bring fraud charges, it finally disgusted me so much to look at the bat that I ended up selling it on eBay for well below my cost.

my advice is to stay clear of anything this seller is selling...

Kevin Kasper
kevinkasper@netzero.com

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Ghostkid and I share stories about this guy every once in awhile (Lin Griffen). I once made arrangements to buy what I thought was a Pete Rose game bat. It was described as such. It had a picture with 3 other bats and he purposely covered up the fact that it was a college bat. I still have the bat and if I ever get near Lynchburg, VA---I plan to try and return it in person!!! I think fraud is his middle name.

commando
03-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, someone figured the helmet was worth over $2,000...

Lord bless 'em.

ndevlin
03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
What??? This guy totally made some huge dough on something he spray painted!! Can't believe this guy is still on Ebay with all the crap he pulls!