PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Xavier Nady Pirates jersey??

Dewey2007
03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I have a 2006 Xavier Nady Pirates jersey w/ the #25. Does anyone know how long Nady wore #25 that season before he switched over to his current #22? Checked the Pirates website and it was no help.

Thanks!

AWA85
03-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Baseball almanac does not list #25 as ever being worn, but they sometimes miss things. Their site only shows #22 being worn along with #42 which would have been Jackie Robinson day.

Dewey2007
03-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I found this photo on Getty of him wearing #25 from his first game as a Pirate so he definitely wore the number. My jersey is a road jersey though.

AWA85
03-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Can't always trust Baseball Almanac on jersey numbers.

hrvatwill
03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
While not specific, I found this passage on his Wikipedia page:

"During his major league career with both the Padres and Mets, Nady has worn uniform number 22, with the Pirates his uniform number was changed to 25 for a brief stint before his number was again changed, this time back to his original number 22."

jrhrlh
03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I am not sure how long he wore the 25 but it wasn't too long. When he was traded to the Pirates Ryan Voglesong was wearing 22 but was soon optioned to AAA never to return.

hrvatwill
03-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Just as a point of interest, I recently auctioned the attached Nady #25 jersey on Ebay. It was sold at FanFest in January 2007 and is game issued.

I'm am also posting this because I am having difficulty for some reason uploading pictures to the GUU site and wanted to use this as a test, rather than create a stand-lone thread, so thanks for the relevancy :)

Dewey2007
03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I am not sure how long he wore the 25 but it wasn't too long. When he was traded to the Pirates Ryan Voglesong was wearing 22 but was soon optioned to AAA never to return.

I just checked the Pirates transaction log for 2006 and Vogelsong was designated for assignment on June 27 and was optioned outright to AAA on July 7th so he was gone a good month or so before Nady arrived on Aug 1st. That means that another player must have been wearing 22 when Nady arrived?? But who?? The mystery deepens...

hrvatwill
03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I noticed that myself and guessed that the Pirates did not give Nady the number right away due to sensitvity issues w/Vogelsong, i.e., being demoted AND having his number reassigned, thus signaling that the team was no longer interested in him. Remember that he was the main player received in the Jason Schmidt trade and the Pirates really were hoping against all hope that he would develop into something, so they gave him more than ample rope to hang himself.

I would further guess that once Vogelsong inevitably begin screwing the pooch in AAA and it became abundantly clear to the team that he was not part of the future, the number was made available to Nady. No science there, just supposition on my part.

I bought the MLB Extra Innings package that year specifically to watch the Pirates (lucky me) and remember Nady wearing #25 for about three weeks to a month once he came over, and do not recall anybody else wearing #22 during that time. Rather pathetic that I remember that but the baseball being played was utterly forgettable.

Dewey2007
03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the insight. I think your theories are solid especially given that you are a Pirates fan and you watched them extensively on the MLB package that year.

Given that all the photos of Nady on Getty, Photo File, etc. from this particular time period are very limited I'll keep looking. I've e-mailed the Pirates directly asking them about the date of his # change but not holding my breath since teams do not always respond to inquiries.