PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Willie Stargell bat on eBay

Dewey2007
03-18-2008, 11:20 AM
The specs on the LVS K44 bat match seem to match up to those that Stargell used in 1977 but do the marks on this bat look like those that you would get at a batting cage?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250226213002&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

I'm thinking used but maybe not by Willie? Also, other Stargell bats I have seen had pine tar on them? This doesn't look like it has any. Since I'm not an expert by any means any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

bigtruck260
03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I use a wood bat when I take cuts at the cages, and the ball marks are almost exact. Batting cage balls are dirty and make round marks with dimples like those...

Unless Willie or someone else used these types of balls in the cages, it was probably taken there by one of the bat's owners. Can't say it was for intentional fraud, but the person selling the bat should be able to identify this type of use before guaranteeing it to pass authentication.

I'm pretty sure Bushing and Taube would know the difference.:confused: :D

Dave

Vintagedeputy
03-18-2008, 05:58 PM
me thinks something smells foul in Copenhagen

Dewey2007
03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
I contacted buyer and he said he had no paperwork on the bat and got it from a man in Pittsburgh. As for the marks on the bat he said he didn't know. He asked how could I tell the difference. Said he wouldn't have a guess on how to tell the difference himself.

Anyhow, I sent him a reply and wished him luck with his auction.

bigtruck260
03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Something else I have noticed on bats of sluggers and average hitters - professional hitters in general... is that the use is pretty concentrated to one area of the bat. Sure, there are exceptions, but with a guy like Stargell, you would not expect a bat to last very long hitting a 90mph fastball on the handle.

However, a 70mph batting cage fastball (with a softer ball) certainly would allow a bat to withstand impact.

If you ever want to make a scene at the batting cages, take a maple bat into the VERY fast cage (90+) and crowd the plate. You will know what it feels like to have a bat shatter in your hands. Just make sure there are no little guys around when you do it...and for heaven's sake - DON'T use a $100 M9 - find an issued bat of a no-namer on eBay for $15.

Just a little friendly advice.

Dave