PDA

View Full Version : 195 Michigan charm? Stamped D. NELSON

ghostkid
02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Can anyone help identify what this is? It looks like some kind of charm. It's stamped 1951 Champions with what I think is the M from the University of Michigan. On another panel is stamped D. NELSON. Any 1951 Michigan gdars out there who recognize this? Its real gold, not gold plated.

Thanks,
Kevin Kasper
kevinkasper@netzero.com

vintagesportscollector
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Kevin- This is most likely from Michigan State or Maryland. In 1951 both teams were undefeated and won their conferences and were selected by some to win the mythical national championship. I doubt its Michigan because of the color and the fact that Michigan was not good in 1951. Based on the Green color of he "M" I would say it is Michigan State-1951. Next step is too find a D. Nelson who played on that team. Hope that helps.

-Joe
http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

sportsbaron
04-26-2006, 07:01 PM
There was no D. Nelson listed as a varsity football player for Michigan State. I have a similar charm from 1956 and it has an "S". I do not believe this is a Michigan State charm.

ghostkid
04-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for your input. I still haven't found anything else about my NELSON charm, but I did find a similar one for sale in the upcoming Grey Flannel auction. Lot #521 is for a 1947 Chicago Cardinals NFL World Champions charm, engraved Gene Kessler. I understand that one is an NFL charm and mine is most likely a college football charm, but the $750 opening bid on the Grey Flannel charm surprised me a bit. Were these types of charms commonplace back in the day?

Kevin Kasper