PDA

View Full Version : The most confusing photo I've ever seen....

kylehess10
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I went to a card shop today to pick up a bat tube and saw some cheap left-over Robert Fick signed/inscibed photos from a signing they had awhile back for $5 a piece. It's from the final game at Tiger Stadium. It got me shaking my head though. Take a good look at the players awaiting Fick from touching home plate. The player with the number 9 helmet is wearing a jersey with the number 2. The player with the number 24 helmet is wearing a jersey with the number 6. Then the player with the number 23 helmet doesn't even have a number on his jersey! What's going on with this picture? Did everybody on the Tigers suddenly decide to share all their equipment during the final game?

gingi79
03-22-2008, 06:07 PM
That's nuts.

At first I thought it might have been doctored for a good reason like...

1) It was the final score. (The photo says it was 8-2 not 6-2)
2) It was the year it was built (Nope 1912)
3) It was the last World Series win for the Tigers (Nope 1984)
4) The Players Association didn't sign off on it (The symbol is on the bottom)

It must have been done for a good reason. Damned if I can think of why tho.....

Eric
03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
#6 and #2 are both retired numbers- 6 was Al Kaline and 2 was Chas. Gehringer

Perhaps the players wore those retired numbers for that game to honor the Tigers past? Was the poster doctored to honor the closing of Tigers Stadium?

(According to the numerical roster from 1999, #24 was Karim Garcia and #9 was Damian Easley)

Eric
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
According to our pals at Wikipedia...

Uniform numbers

In recognition of the fans' vote for the All-Time Detroit Tigers Team, members of the Detroit starting lineup wore the numbers of the players at their respective positions.
Tony Clark - 1B
5 for Hank Greenberg

Damion Easley - 2B
2 for Charlie Gehringer

Dean Palmer - 3B
21 for George Kell

Deivi Cruz - SS
3 for Alan Trammell

Luis Polonia - LF
23 for Willie Horton

Gabe Kapler - CF
No number for Ty Cobb

Karim Garcia - RF
6 for Al Kaline

Brad Ausmus - C
11 for Bill Freehan

Robert Fick - DH
25 for Norm Cash

Brian Moehler - P
47 for Jack Morris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Detroit_Tigers_game_at_Tiger_Stadium#Uniform _numbers

commando
03-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Wow, that's cool... A player participating in a game with no uniform number.

I guess it's still not as wild as every player wearing the number "42"...

kylehess10
03-23-2008, 06:43 AM
According to our pals at Wikipedia...

Uniform numbers

In recognition of the fans' vote for the All-Time Detroit Tigers Team, members of the Detroit starting lineup wore the numbers of the players at their respective positions.
Tony Clark - 1B
5 for Hank Greenberg

Damion Easley - 2B
2 for Charlie Gehringer

Dean Palmer - 3B
21 for George Kell

Deivi Cruz - SS
3 for Alan Trammell

Luis Polonia - LF
23 for Willie Horton

Gabe Kapler - CF
No number for Ty Cobb

Karim Garcia - RF
6 for Al Kaline

Brad Ausmus - C
11 for Bill Freehan

Robert Fick - DH
25 for Norm Cash

Brian Moehler - P
47 for Jack Morris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Detroit_Tigers_game_at_Tiger_Stadium#Uniform _numbers

That's pretty cool. But I wonder why I've never seen any of these hit the market before ?? They would probably sell for big bucks

joelsabi
03-23-2008, 03:11 PM
can you imagine arod using babe ruth on the last game at yankee stadium. that would be insane.

joelsabi
03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
can you imagine arod using babe ruth on the last game at yankee stadium. that would be insane.
using uniform #3 i mean.

gingi79
03-23-2008, 04:16 PM

That is an incredibly good idea. Knowing Brandon Steiner, he'll have 9 of them made up for every player to wear for an inning each and sell them all for $50k plus.

In fact:

Jorge Posada- #8 for Yogi and Bill Dickey
Shelley Duncan- #4 for Gehrig
Robbie Cano- whose the best Yankee at 2b?
Derek Jeter- #10 for Rizzuto
Alex Rodriguez- WHo is the greatest Yankee 3b?
Bobby Abreu- #7 for Mantle
Johnny Damon- #5 for Joe D.
Hideki Matsui- #3 for the Babe

The problem is: What to do with Maris, Reggie, Munson and maybe a dozen others? I say there are enough retired numbers and players who should be recognized on that day to re-outfit the entire squad! Not to mention, Derek and Mariano will have their own numbers retired when they do so......