PDA

View Full Version : Does the Seller Seriously Expect $5,000 for this?

frikativ54
03-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Hunter Pence has had another excellent spring, and I have every reason to believe he's going to be an MLB star. However, the BIN on this Hunter Pence gamer seems more than a bit extreme...how much do you think this baby should be selling for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUNTER-PENCE-GAME-USED-HOME-WHITE-HOUSTON-ASTROS-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ320176394350QQihZ011QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l124 7QQcmdZViewItem

dcrules01
03-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Here is his career stats after 108 games

AvgHRRBIRuns .322176957:D

And the answer no way is that jersey worth $5000 but that is my opinion..

dcrules01
03-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Avg 322 HR 17 RBI 69 Runs 57

gingi79
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Fairly positive this seller posts on the forum. I was interested in getting a Brick one and contacted him. Quick professional response, I'd feel comfortable dealing with him.

However...

at this stage in his career Pence should be much closer to Jeff Francoeur prices than Derek Jeter prices. But thats just one baseball fan's opinion. On the other side, he does take offers so if you are interested send him one. Worst case.....he declines.

frikativ54
03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Fairly positive this seller posts on the forum. I was interested in getting a Brick one and contacted him. Quick professional response, I'd feel comfortable dealing with him.

Did you ever get your hands on a Pence brick jersey? If so, how much did you pay? I'm assuming you mean a home pinstripe...

However...

at this stage in his career Pence should be much closer to Jeff Francoeur prices than Derek Jeter prices. But thats just one baseball fan's opinion. On the other side, he does take offers so if you are interested send him one. Worst case.....he declines.

I simply don't have the money right now. I am using my money right now on Jeff Bagwell stuff. I just have been seeing that jersey, and wondered how much you think it should command. I would never buy it at $5,000 though as that's way too much!

gingi79
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
No the price scared me off so I never completed the deal. The Brick jersey is the all red one the Astros wear as an alternate.

I was hoping to buy it at a bargain basement price because he wasn't well known at the time. I was willing to pony up $500 before he had the monster Spring he had this year and during the time when he was a secret outside the Astros. Now he's the new hot thing and is commanding a premium. I think that premium should be closer to $750-$1000 if you really think his career will become like a Biggio or Bagwell and one day he may command a larger price. However, you can buy the follow items and their prices:

Two different Robin Yount BP for $500 ea (HOF)
John Smoltz 1999 jersey for $900 (Future HOF)
Mark Teixeira's Red Alternate Braves for $950 (A more powerful and accomplished player)
Jeff Francoeur Red Alternate Braves for $800 with MLB cert (In my opinion, a better version of Pence)

Derek Jeter for $6000 (Future HOF)

Pence is most likely going to enjoy a great career. He may become an All Star and win Gold Gloves. But those people who collect Biggio and Bagwell know, this jersey is priced well above demand right now and I would be hard pressed to believe there will ever be a demand to pay "only $5,000" for a Pence.

That being said, I hope he does get that price for them because that would mean my Francoeur would be worth at least $7500 =)

frikativ54
03-23-2008, 10:16 PM
gingi - thanks for all that very helpful information. You are sure high on Francoeur, aren't you? Well, the kid has great potential. As far as the Pence jersey is concerned, though, the most I would pay for that thing (if I had money) would be $1500.

That's the very most, because knowing Hunter Pence, he could run through a brick wall tomorrow and his stuff would be worth as much as my Scott Elarton baseball card collection (remember him?). Putting stuff up for that much in the end is just going to discourage me from buying anything. Or even making a reasonable offer.

This underscores a point I've wanted to make for a while about game-used exclusive dealers. The prices on some of these players are so insane that it can take the fun out of collecting. I don't mind paying several hundred dollars for a Bagwell item, because I know that at the end of the day, Jeff Bagwell is still going to have 449 HR and 1529 RBI.

Even though I don't collect him heavily, the same is the case with Biggio. He is going to have 3,060 hits, no matter whether he gets run over by a train tomorrow or wins the Nobel Peace Prize. That's not the case with Hunter Pence, who, judging by his tour of duty, is very injury prone. Will he be the next Griffey? That remains to be seen, but you can get a Bagwell g/u jersey, batting gloves, and cleats for under $5,000 total.

I like the Hunter Pence as a player, but the jury is still out on the talented youngster. What's the most anybody here would pay for that jersey?

jessicawinters
03-24-2008, 12:53 AM
I AM NOTICING A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH THE WHITE PENCE JERSEY.

Please look at the 0062 tag. It seems to be sewn ONTO the jersey instead of INTO the seams of the jersey. There is a straight stitch going across the tag.

Look at the other two jerseys that this seller has. Both of those tags were sewn into the seam, and the tags are a part of the jerseys.

Also notice the code 0122U2 above 0062. The other jerseys do not have that code.

Am I being paranoid? I think clearly it is different than the others. Can't really think of a reasoning behind that. And one minor thing, the label looks so worn out. They only wore these jerseys in home saturday games.

My major belief is that all tags should be sewn into the jersey and be a part of the jersey. Any add ons or extra stitches should bring some suspicions.

kylehess10
03-24-2008, 09:50 AM
I AM NOTICING A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH THE WHITE PENCE JERSEY.

Please look at the 0062 tag. It seems to be sewn ONTO the jersey instead of INTO the seams of the jersey. There is a straight stitch going across the tag.

Look at the other two jerseys that this seller has. Both of those tags were sewn into the seam, and the tags are a part of the jerseys.

Also notice the code 0122U2 above 0062. The other jerseys do not have that code.

Am I being paranoid? I think clearly it is different than the others. Can't really think of a reasoning behind that. And one minor thing, the label looks so worn out. They only wore these jerseys in home saturday games.

My major belief is that all tags should be sewn into the jersey and be a part of the jersey. Any add ons or extra stitches should bring some suspicions.

I questioned the seller about that and here is their response:

"Thanks for the question. This has been a concern of mine as well. I am unsure to why it is sewn on differently. I will have to take a closer look at that. As far as where the jersey's came from, all of them came directly from Hunter, with him keeping some for himself. As far as when things are used and how many jersey's are issued, I ask Hunter all of those questions to verify when it was used. This came into play more in the past with things being used in AA, AAA, spring, MLB, etc . . . He never hesitated to say he had or had not used something at specific times. When asked questions about the jersey's, he said he told the clubby to get him the jersey's he used and this was one of the few. From what I hear, all of the jersey's are hand stitched by the clubby's wife. The possibility of her picking up a jersey with different tagging and using it as one of Pence's jersey's is possible. As to exactly why the tagging is different though, I am unsure. I do know that they went directly from Hunter to me, so I have no doubt about the authenticity of this item or any other that I have of his in my posession. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!"

loumud
03-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone,

These jerseys have actually been listed at the $5000 price for a while now. I don't think they reasonably expect to get that much for them - probably just blasting a high asking price in hopes of increasing what they really want for a jersey. For an authentic Pence gamer, you can probably move them at $1500 on the higher end in the Houston area. Personally, I wouldn't want to pay more than $1000 - $12000 for a red gamer. But, that's just my preference.

You might want to try contacting Chris Boyd at Houston Sports Investments regarding authenticity concerns. He's been the most knowledgable person I have met regarding Astros game used items, and I buy almost all of my game used stuff directly from him.

Louis

frikativ54
03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want to pay more than $1000 - $12000 for a red gamer.

I hope that latter amount is a typo. :eek: Else you would make the Pence people's day. :D

cohibasmoker
03-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey, didn't someone on eBay pay over a Thousand Dollars for a corn flake that looked like Illinois? Hey, does it hurt to ask?

Jim